Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Amazon.com purchases outside the US

I don't think this has made rounds here, but I'll put it here for information:

[WARNING] Do not buy from Amazon.com (If you aren't from the USA)

Basically somebody claiming that using a fake address to buy games from outside the US caused amazon to lock their account. It maybe unrelated to using a fake address, but just in case it isn't.

Now there is no official word on the reason behind it other than "Unfortunately, we are currently unable to process your order because the billing details provided with your payment method do not completely match the information on file with the card issuer." There are other people on the thread claiming to have had similar experiences. I have bought from them, but not in recent times, now though I am hesitant on purchasing from them until this clears up.

Anybody outside the US, using the same method, buy from amazon during their Summer Sale?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I bought the paradox pack about a month ago and am not having any problems getting the games. I think its silly that its region specific anyway but there you go.

Like I said, could just be something else for example using the white houses postal index or something. I would hope that amazon doesn't care too much where the buyer resides. Hope this clears up though, I'm hesitant to buy from them at the moment.

Glad I never got Dragon Age II from .com now. I did wonder how it woul work with a different billing address that your card is registered too. Delivery address i could see working but not billing address. A shame cause Amazon US do have some incredible deals at times.
    If graphics are not important why spend so much on a GPU?

I bought maxpayne 3 two days ago and didn't have any problem. Although I guess there is still a small risk.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    I must assume that there is a LOT more to it than he is letting on if they went so far as to completely shut down his account.

I have purchased games from Amazon.com before, mostly Steam and Origin games, I've had no problems with them, just to clarify.

I wouldn't panic just yet, maybe just hold off buying from them until some more official word is out on what the cause of this lock-out/ban is.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Yeah, let's make noise and demand official answers so that Amazon finally complies with IRS and foreign tax offices regulations. The problem will then be solved by not allowing foreigners to buy US games!
    Reddit is ruining the Internet, I swear.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Yeah, let's make noise and demand official answers so that Amazon finally complies with IRS and foreign tax offices regulations. The problem will then be solved by not allowing foreigners to buy US games!
    This is a good point.

Network Hub
    I tend to only buy games that come with a Steam Key. I know it's no more of a guarantee then just using Amazon's dd service but it puts my lazy ass mind at ease. Only 3 games thus far. No issues as of yet.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I had no issue 2 days ago. I think its more than just because he is outside of US. I think its a standard Amazon/Credit Card problem, but its complicated by the fact he is outside of the US.

I have bought Serious Sam 3 download version (steam key of course) from Amazon using some random address I got from googlemaps. No problems for now. Though I might not buy more games from there.

The redditor says he has access to his account back now, so whatever the cause was for his account closing wasn't permanent. I have a few games from Amazon.com myself, and I can still access them. False alarm, I guess?

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    The redditor says he has access to his account back now, so whatever the cause was for his account closing wasn't permanent. I have a few games from Amazon.com myself, and I can still access them. False alarm, I guess?
    Good thing he alerted the internet police.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It probably depends how much you spend too. I'm fairly sure you can check a credit card against the address/postcode. But for small transactions they likely don't. But I wouldn't stick 5 games in your cart and buy them all at once.

Honestly I don't think Amazon cares if they are getting paid and it isn't fraudulent. It was likely just a check to make sure it wasn't a stolen credit card.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Well yes, in many many ways.

But in this case, I'm surprised it's possible at all with Amazon. I have perfectly valid payment details in the US, but Steam eventually locked me out from using them because I've lived in Germany for a while. I would think that publishers demand some level of diligence because of region bullshit.

Network Hub
    I wish we could buy these Amazon game deals in Canada (and MP3s too). Ditto for Amazon's Android app store which has a free app of the day. I own many Kindle books and am not interested in getting my account banned, though.

Ah well. Those game sales will come to Steam eventually. I'd sure love to have bought Max Payne 3 for $30 this past weekend though.

Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    Well yes, in many many ways.

But in this case, I'm surprised it's possible at all with Amazon. I have perfectly valid payment details in the US, but Steam eventually locked me out from using them because I've lived in Germany for a while. I would think that publishers demand some level of diligence because of region bullshit.
    If you have someone you trust in the states they can do it for you. A friend of mine travels to Japan every year for about a month and it almost always falls during the winter sale. He has his CC info stored on Steam and I simply login to his account from the US and purchase all the stuff he wants and then log back out.

I just created a new account which is used for Amazon.com download purchases only. As those purchases are pretty much only Steam or Origin keys they can lock my account all they want.