Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Space Marine removed from UK Steam Store.

As the title suggests, the game is missing from the UK Steam Store.
    US Steam Store for comparison.

Why? What the heck is going on lately with Steam and us Brits?

Homefront (not that I care about that one, but it's the principal), Brink and now the one game I'm more eager to play than ANY OTHER GAME EVER**, apart from DMO next year...Space Marine. All vanished from the UK Steam Store.
    Oh, and during EA Week, the Crysis Complete Pack wasn't available on the UK Store either.

Can anyone shed any light on why? And what can we do to stop this.

Please excuse the incoming obscenities, but I am getting sick and fucking tired of being treated like shit for being a UK PC Gamer.

** Started playing Computer Games (not console) aged 8 with a Speccy 48k. Started playing 40k TT aged 11, 1200 pt Salamanders SM army, MK6 standard armor. This game combines my two earliest and longest standing passions. Throw in my love for Online Gaming, and that explains my excitement for DMO

Network Hub
    Sigh, really?

I have no idea why Steam has been doing this so much lately, but it is really frustrating...

I'm not from the UK but this does seem pretty ridiculous and even when the questions have been asked as far as i've seen no answers have been forthcoming, it seems really strange. Also Salamanders are awesome!

didn't EA say that crysis 2 was taken down because of some contract issue? I don't think it was ever confirmed but perhaps that is one of the reasons, or possibly something to do with rivals setting up their own services. either way I think there is something going on behind the scenes here that we don't know about, too many games being taken down from steam lately for there not to be.

but hey at least we get good prices from GOG right, I mean thats something at least.

Network Hub
    @8-bit: Space Marine is a THQ published game from Relic, though. Who, so far, have had a fairly good relationship with Steam (even using steamworks in their last game) and no distribution service of their own. So I really can't think of why it would be removed from Steam. Hell, up to this point I expected Space Marine to use steamworks too.

Crysis 2 was removed due to crytek invalidating their contract with Steam due to dlc issues as far as I understand it.

Edit; Yea, seems the game does require Steam, so I guess Steam is just being dickish to their UK customers... again.

Ah well, I'll just do the same as I did with Darksiders in this situation. Pick it up stupidly cheap at retail :P
    Last edited by Creeping Death; 27-06-2011 at 01:00 AM.

well no they don't have a service of their own but that wouldn't stop a company like EA (or microsoft) trying to get some kind of exclusive is what I was getting at.

edit: its still up on the other major services too so there goes that idea. I wonder if we will see a banner on D2D in the next few days saying "not available on steam" like with the other games.
    Last edited by 8-bit; 27-06-2011 at 01:07 AM.

With the 1812 bicentennial nearing, anti-British sentiment is gaining a lot of traction here in the states. I wouldn't be surprised if Valve is doing this purely out of spite.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Hello friend, your colony Australia says "Welcome to our world!"

We have to put up with the same thing, along with ridiculously inflated prices on some games. Strangely, the game is still available here in the Australian Steam store, so maybe it's just a bug or oversight and will be restored soon? I can't think of any reason why it'd be removed for the UK store.

Activated Node
    I'm not British, but from what I've heard, this is the reason some games are not available in Steam UK: http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/11/11/re...ten-steam-ban/

Isn't this the 5th time THQ have done this now?

I would love for the RPS guys to get their teeth into this one...
    I gave up on retail years ago, due to the PC section being limited to one tiny lil corner vs a shopful of consolefuntoystationbox games. A VERY familiar story, I'm sure.
    I like Steam, hell..I can even tolerate the godawful pricing due to buying most of my games during sales.

But I just want to get my games from Steam. I have the odd title here and there from Impulse, Desura etc etc, but they remain largely unplayed, because I just can't be bothered to have yet another app running.
    Again, a very familiar story, I'm sure.

Honestly, the whole bloody situation makes no sense.
    I just wanna play my game. :(

I suspect no-one wants to say a word on this so I doubt RPS would get very far.

When Brink disappeared I wrote a polite email to Bethseda pointing out that the removal has cost them sales and really, that's the best you can probably do right now. Contact THQ or Bethseda or whoever else has entered into this "we'll remove our titles from Steam for xMonths in the UK" deal and call them on it, letting them know they've lost a sale. Politely, obviously.

Sadly, the general end result of these things is that I'm less likely to trust them as a publisher whilst they pull stunts like this. I'm sure I barely make a dint in their figures but y'know, it certainly doesn't make me go "oh, well, I'll just nip over here and buy it here instead" as is probably the intention.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Space Marine, for me at least, hasn't been viewable for quite some time now. Around E3 time I think. I remember seeing it up for pre-order and then it just wasn't. I was probably going to get it at retail anyhow, but that's not really the point.

Also, I was also able to get the Crysis 1 pack during the EA sale, so I don't know what occurred there?

THQ does have an online store, with Digital River also being involved.

http://store.thq.com/store/thq/DisplayHomePage

There has been a recent site redesign with offers of 'chances to win' stuff if you take a survey(first one is for 5 games of your choice, the second is for a $25 Best Buy gift card), so perhaps THQ is heading towards EA's Origin model(EA Store used Digital River, Origin does not).

Now as to what, if anything, this has to do with the UK Steam store not currently listing WH40K:SM, while being available from other digital stores, I honestly do not know. I'd guess that Steam's dominance of the digital download pre-order market is the reason, but that is mere speculation on my part.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    It's all bullshit, really. GAME decimated their PC shelf space because they thought there was no market, not because they couldn't compete with Steam. Now Steam has shown that there is a market, and GAME wants a piece of the pie it rejected. Now, I'm no economist, but if you ask me, of the two actions of adding an (admittedly proprietary) added-value service layer on top of PC games or choking off the supply of PC games, which one is "killing the market"? Well, I'm sure I don't need to spell it out.

High-street shops haven't been any good for PC games in ages, but online retailers are OK. In fact the likes of Play.com, GamePlay.co.uk (very good for second hand consoles by the way) and a plethora of others often have better prices at release than the digital distributors.

Quote Originally Posted by Oak View Post
    With the 1812 bicentennial nearing, anti-British sentiment is gaining a lot of traction here in the states.
    Really? Makes me kind of proud.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    I am fascinated.

Here in German, it's still on Steam - I just checked. Also, our gaming stores have huge PC gaming shelves. They don't really look threatened by digital retailers, you know.

Seriously though, when coming back from a few years of Ireland/UK, seeing the PC gaming shelves here in Germany made me cry a little tear of joy. Personally, I still largely prefer a real, physical copy of a game.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Network Hub
    It disappeared from the UK steam store on the exact day that preorders became available for the rest of the world, annoyingly.

Network Hub
    Another game? This whole matter is distinctly ridiculous; but it's surprising that there hasn't been any widespread reporting on this matter for any of the games this has happened to. Couldn't a respectable organ like RPS get some concrete excuses from a publisher and call them out for being stupid? The last that we "officially" heard about the Brink withdrawal was that Splash Damage were "looking into" the matter.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    It's all bullshit, really. GAME decimated their PC shelf space because they thought there was no second hand market, not because they couldn't compete with Steam.
    There, fixed that for you. :)