Secondary Hivemind Nexus

My iPhone and this website (frontpage).

The frontpage have sometimes so much stuff, that the poor cpu of my phone can't cope with it, and making a comment is very slow.

I don't really have a suggestion to make, but perhaps people smarter than me can have one idea.
    What I know is that most (all?) mobile version of webpages suck big time, so I am not asking for that.

I don't know if is the CSS, huge images or what. Sometimes even tryiing to type something on the textarea is slooow.

Network Hub
    I agree 100%. RPS is bulging at the seams with features and floaters and bubbles and fancies and wowies. This is (begrudgingly) acceptable on a desktop PC but it sucks a big fat wobbly one when trying to render it on a smartphone. I wish the site would detect the user agent and deliver a more minimal page to mobile browsers.

Smartphone browser performance is vastly improved if you can configure plugins (like javascript and flash) to load on demand instead of automatically. You can do this pretty easily with the stock Android browser and with Chrome Mobile. This effectively speeds up every website.

Alternatively, you can use an offline reader like Instapaper or Pocket which strips out all the nonessentials and keeps performance as smooth as a buttered dolphin thorax.

I started a thread asking for a mobile version of the site a few months ago:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...09-Mobile-site

More recently, requests for a mobile site popped up in this thread:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...le-back-at-you

I don't think there's been any real reply, but I'd be surprised if they weren't at least thinking about it.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Network Hub
    Which iPhone are you using? 3GS?

My S2 runs RPS smooth as butter.

Why not use RSS?

Alas, the RPS RSS feed only contains a small portion of the whole article, it's so short that most of the times I have to open the full article to see if I'm interested or not.

There are ways around this on a PC, but on a smartphone? not so easy.
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

I believe the app called Instapaper, allows you to save webpages as text only, Pocket lets you do the same thing. iOS versions of both of those as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I would suggest using Chrome from the app store, see if it works better.

Yeah, I'm using Chrome and the front page loads pretty smoothly, though I am on a quad core.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Chrome!, I did not knew that it was already for iPhone!. This will probably be the solution to my problems :D

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Yeah, I'm using Chrome and the front page loads pretty smoothly, though I am on a quad core.
    <sarcasm>
    And on the phone?
    </sarcasm>

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    NOTE:

It seems that chrome in iOS use the native webview control that use webkit anyway. Webkit is not a bad engine, but is not has fast as chrome in a desktop. Only with a rooted iOS you can use a chrome that use the chrome rendering engine. But I don't want to root my phone :P

Also, is still to see if the chrome engine is faster in a phone. It is the faster in a desktop, but who know about the limited version you can put in the phone hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    Also, is still to see if the chrome engine is faster in a phone. It is the faster in a desktop, but who know about the limited version you can put in the phone hardware.
    Last time I checked (i.e. when Chrome for Android was first released) it was slightly faster on a device and slower on another. Hopefully it has improved now but I doubt at the end of the day it makes so much difference.

RPS is for some reason way more inefficient than most sites, so much I basically gave up checking it from my phone.