Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus QuantaCat's Avatar

Rock, Paper, Dirty Bomb

Oh. My.

Oh. Fucking. My.

I'm quite enjoying this game. I. Am. Loving. This. Game.

Sure it has flaws, some spawn camping needs to be fixed in the newer maps, it seems a bit more casual than ET, QW and Brink before it, but oh. my. It's a tactical and engaging shooter in casual clothing. Perfect for teamplay and eSports.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it." - The Conclave

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Did they change something significantly since Alpha? I loved ET and Brink but somehow DB wasn't able to grab my attention for long. Especially the mentioned spawn camping and map design was a big problem for me which pretty much killed all the fun.
    (Firefall: bug shot) // (PS2: bobby is going home)
    -remove spaces-

Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    Did they change something significantly since Alpha? I loved ET and Brink but somehow DB wasn't able to grab my attention for long. Especially the mentioned spawn camping and map design was a big problem for me which pretty much killed all the fun.
    it certainly FEELS like they did. its F2P anyway, so no harm done, eh?
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it." - The Conclave

Mh, only played it for an hour so far but I am not impressed. It feels better, but not good enough.

There is still the issue of way too much AoE, paired with way too many choke-points (better on the new maps, but still an issue), the matchmaking still seem to simply not work (admittedly it's a work ion progress) and there still is the issue of "big" characters not being viable with a pocket medic, which nobody plays on pubs because medics can also be played as offensive classes.
    Then there is still the instant revive, which I am not a big fan of. But at least there are no longer AoE revives. But I am almost certain they will bring those back at some point (when they run out of ideas what to do). Then there is (again) the issue with players being unable to identify and prioritize targets (medics e.g.). It's better than in Brink, but due to the character design still almost impossible. Then there is still the issue of firefights mostly coming down to ADAD-dancing...

I don't know... it feels to me like the haven't learned anything from what Brink did wrong and instead scrapped almost everything of the movement system which was one of the cool things about it. It feels to me like a "Brink-light", just better working from a technical standpoint, without all too many improvements gameplay-wise.

I'll give it another shot for an hour or two. Could be fun in a more competitive environment but so far I don't see myself playing this as a pub game.

*edit*
    Played another 1,5h... at times even with devs. Which is nice to see. It can be fun when you get balanced teams, but most of the time you don't. So you either steamroll the enemy (which makes people ragequit and you team steamroll even more) or you get steamrolled. Which completely kills any attempt at teamplay as everybody just tries to save their K/D. Loosing usually ends in like -3.0 K/D and for pubbies it's all about the KD. It's like Brink didn't exist. Or at least the good parts didn't.

And that choke-point/objective AOE spam is just outright bullshit. It feels like CoD kill-streak nonsense, just without the need to kill anyone.

PS: Are the crate drops even in? Didn't get a single one in 2,5h playtime.
    Last edited by bonkers; 09-01-2015 at 10:24 PM.
    -remove spaces-

*edit*
    Made a whoopsie.
    -remove spaces-

Secondary Hivemind Nexus apricotsoup's Avatar
    Well I'm with you quanta, very fun from the few hours I've put into it so far.

To me it feels a lot like ET:RTCW with some elements of brink.

Not really felt the same problems as bonkers, probably due to a lot of ET playing in the past where this stuff was normal. I find most aspects do encourage teamplay which really helps raise it above most other multiplayer fps out there in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by apricotsoup View Post
    Well I'm with you quanta, very fun from the few hours I've put into it so far.

To me it feels a lot like ET:RTCW with some elements of brink.

Not really felt the same problems as bonkers, probably due to a lot of ET playing in the past where this stuff was normal. I find most aspects do encourage teamplay which really helps raise it above most other multiplayer fps out there in my eyes.
    Aye. Either way, its going back to closed beta today, I think. I still have an interview planned with Ed Stern about Brink, but I dont know when thats going to happen.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Well, the closed beta is closing for a while, then into another closed beta but yeah. Shame I only managed to get a key on friday, but still had some fun.

Though I hope they do something more interesting with the loadout system, really not convinced on it so far. Especially as out of my first 8 crates, 5 of the loadouts were for fletcher.

Quote Originally Posted by apricotsoup View Post
    Well, the closed beta is closing for a while, then into another closed beta but yeah. Shame I only managed to get a key on friday, but still had some fun.

Though I hope they do something more interesting with the loadout system, really not convinced on it so far. Especially as out of my first 8 crates, 5 of the loadouts were for fletcher.
    Right. I didnt even bother, to be honest. I liked the med pack medics standard loadout completely fine.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Oh I think they're all fine by default, but the option to try out a triple wall jumping, sprint reloading, smg main weapon proxy sounds like a fun addition to the standard shotty version. But I never received any extra proxy loadouts so no options there.

They've said they'll put in a way of letting players sort through and get the ones they want, but I'm guessing at this stage it'll probably be the steam marketplace and meh, I just dislike the random system over being able to customise like brink.

Brink was brilliant, wasnt it.
    - Tom De Roeck.

How many crates did/do you guys even get and in what time? As said I played for 2.5 hours and didn't get a single one...
    -remove spaces-

I got 2 for playing on two different days. Didnt recognise a system to it.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Steam says 9 hours, probably about 10 crates over that time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Played a bit for the first time earlier and it's really rather great, innit? Ended up playing mostly as Bonesaw or whatever his name is, one of the current rotation chaps, SMGing people at all ranges and throwing out medkits to everyone. Only ever dabbled in TF2 but I'm tempted to put some more hours into this.

Are they passing out beta keys like free newspapers now that it's permanently online?

Network Hub
    Not sure re beta keys, they are granting access to the beta when you purchase the Merc starter pack that is up on steam for 14.99. Enjoying the game myself brings back the old "Brink" feeling also mixed with some frustration at the match making, always seem to be ending up on losing sides 9 times out of 10.
    GW2: fersumengin, Ulstermen, Hera Tempastatis
    Planetside 2: Fersumengin, (VS) Fersumengine (NC)
    Steam: Fersumengin
    Battlenet: rnc100#1317

Network Hub
    For those wanting to give Dirty Bomb a try during the closed beta. Alienware Arena are giving away keys to the closed beta atm :

http://eu.alienwarearena.com/giveawa...a-key-giveaway

Around 6600 keys left at the time of this post.
    GW2: fersumengin, Ulstermen, Hera Tempastatis
    Planetside 2: Fersumengin, (VS) Fersumengine (NC)
    Steam: Fersumengin
    Battlenet: rnc100#1317

I've had this for a while and actually had forgotten about it, since I'd only gotten through the tutorial.
    But I remember how I liked the feel of the guns and that's good enough for me to give it an honest go.

Im still playing, loving it more and more.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Apparently you have to be level 7 to queue with friends so I ended up in a match playing against Dominicus rather than with him. Pretty sure I got him with the shotgun at least once, then a really nasty turret placement of his shot the shite out of me. :(

Getting to know the maps a bit now, which is fun. But it's the back-and-forth little battles that make it so enjoyable. Was in a long corridor with a set of shelves at either end. I saw through the shelves that there were a few enemies at the other end and they could see me, playing as Nova I didn't have the range to kill them so I needed to get them close to use my shotgun. Placed a healing field and started popping out, taking potshots, bunnyhopping to take shots over the shelves and healing up again until they came at me and I blasted them point-blank in the face. Starting to take advantage of wall-jumping now as well, cutting into parts of the map off the main route etc.