Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Network Hub

Serial Cities: Skylines

Inspired by RPS' co-op game and a similar thread on reddit we're passing maps around!

You're welcome to join us, either on an existing city or a new one.

These are the cities we have so far:

#1 - Westvalley

Save game collection

Rules:
    • Played on just simple land
    • No mods
    • No custom assets
    • Turns last a reasonable amount of time. Use your best judgement, look at previous turns for reference. Then hand it off to the next player.
    • 2 days to play. If you need a little longer, tell us and it's probably okay; or let someone else go first.
    • Document your changes so we get a nice story about the city. Text, screenshots, video and/or anything else you can think of are welcome.
    • Make some notes for the next player - did you take loans they should be aware of? Is the water budget set to 50% to save money, which they should increase instead of building new pumps? And similar non-obvious information.
    • If a city is doomed beyond help... Well, let's try not to let that happen, but if you encounter serious problems I suggest posting here so we can discuss what to do. Rolling back to a previous save is acceptable in the case of griefing, but if someone just did a bad job, isn't that part of the story? Good thing it's hard to really screw up.
    • Connected to that: No Bailouts, if possible.
    • Savegames can be shared using the workshop.
    • Try preserving the existing layout in as much as traffic allows. Don't nullify a previous player's work. Remember, you can upgrade roads without deleting them.

Players and history

#2 - Endless Springs

Rules as #1, except:

Shares player and history document with #1
    Last edited by mrwonko; 06-05-2015 at 01:54 PM. Reason: removed history, which has been moved to the google doc

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm into this. Cities are so much more interesting when you are trying to work around existing problems/limitations. A super serial city could be bags of fun!

Activated Node
    Here through the comments on the original comment thread. I'd be interested.

Obscure Node
    +1 excellent idea.

Network Hub
    Great, that's quite enough people for it to work, and there's still room for more. If there's too many, another city can always be started.

So, rules. Suggestion:
    • No mods
    • No custom assets
    • Custom maps okay (subscribing to one item in the workshop isn't so much work)
    • Turns last a reasonable amount of time. Use your best judgement, look at previous turns for reference. Then hand it off to the next player.
    • 2 days to play. If you need a little longer, tell us and it's probably okay; or let someone else go first.
    • Document your changes so we get a nice story about the city. Text, screenshots, video and/or anything else you can think of are welcome.
    • Make some notes for the next player - did you take loans they should be aware of? Is the water budget set to 50% to save money, which they should increase instead of building new pumps? And similar non-obvious information.
    • If a city is doomed beyond help... Well, let's try not to let that happen, but if you encounter serious problems I suggest posting here so we can discuss what to do. Rolling back to a previous save is acceptable in the case of griefing, but if someone just did a bad job, isn't that part of the story? Good thing it's hard to really screw up.
    • Connected to that: No Bailouts, if possible.
    • Savegames can be shared using the workshop, I believe.
    • Try preserving the existing layout in as much as traffic allows. Don't nullify a previous player's work. Remember, you can upgrade roads without deleting them.

Discuss.

Any preferences for maps? And who would like to go first? First one gets to name the city! I've created a google doc for determining the order.
    Last edited by mrwonko; 10-04-2015 at 02:20 PM.

Obscure Node
    Seems like a pretty reasonable set of guidelines. I've added myself to the google doc (I think, assuming I've understood how google docs actually works).

In terms of maps I've only played on the core set so far, which means I'll be happy to play on any map.

Network Hub
    Yeah, you're on the list. Welcome.

I'm actually doing some personal work for a change, I'd prefer not to disrupt that by playing Skylines - so I won't start anything until tomorrow. If anybody else wants to go first, you have roughly 16h to put your name on the list. :)

Activated Node
    No map preferences for me either. Probably nothing too hilly, though, since those maps can be a touch annoying with no terraforming.

Activated Node
    Lurking RPS reader, signing up for this as soon as I spotted the comment thread. I'm overly much willing to join this endeavor. :) I'd want to build in a fairly pretty looking map. (I'd definitely like wild cliffs and huge mountains but there should definitely be a lot of good, flat space in between.)

I do have one suggestion though - using the two in-game years rule might make it difficult for any mayor to balance the budget if in case a crisis begins. How about using a # of households + workers limit? (the statistic is visible in the district statistics - just as a way to create an abstraction of assigned land area for each mayor or something)

What do you guys think of a map like this?
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...13&searchtext=

Fairly flat but with some terrain layout - and not downloaded a bazillion times so we're not building a 100th city in the same exact backyard everyone else is.
    Last edited by GTD-Carthage; 10-04-2015 at 12:49 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    One other suggestion that may be too obvious to bother mentioning in the rules - that we should try to preserve what's already been built and only bulldoze stuff with good reason. Just thinking of the situation where someone thinks 'that's an inefficient road layout' and bulldozes someone's entire contribution. Build an overpass through it, fine. Delete entire neighbourhood, probably not cool.

Otherwise it looks good. I'm happy with either population growth or time dictating turns, both seem to have advantages.

Activated Node
    I definitely agree with Rizlar. The point of this is for all of us to work with each other's quirks, not against. :) I'm going for 'no city's an island' here.

Network Hub
    The map looks good to me - it's somewhat hilly, contrary to Canadave's preferences, but I think that might make for some interesting layouts. And may be suitable for a dam.

Can I hear some more opinions on time vs population? I'm just afraid turns may take too long once the city gets larger and milestones are further apart, but I suppose we can always voluntarily end our turn prematurely...

I added a rule about avoiding major changes where possible.

Activated Node
    Actually, what do you guys think of creating a reference district in-game to create an arbitrary land area limit? Whoever builds the first part of the city sets the size we'll all try to follow per person's turn. I just realized that the households+workers doesn't work well given varying zone densities... if only there was a way to count the number of buildings in a district - my hope is that we can all build in whichever ways we want, in as much as 100 4x4 trailer parks might occupy the same space as 100 4x4 skyscrapers. Fans of low-density will get equal opportunities with high-density - or mixed-density people. :)

Any ideas?

Network Hub
    So limit by space used? Interesting idea... Not sure how I feel about it.

How about this: do whatever you want and use best judgement? Until somebody goes overboard we don't need any rigorous rules, just do a couple of reasonable changes and then hand it off.

Activated Node
    I agree - I think the best rule would really just be "give the next mayor some space". And if the space is really just about to run out, at least get enough cash to buy a new lot (at the discretion of the next mayor, not the one before.)

Network Hub
    Okay, I went ahead and just started. Savegame, Map. I stopped once I reached Little Hamlet, which on this map is at at a population of 340. I don't know if you need the map to be able to use the savegame, the existence of a terraforming mod implies that everything is saved in the savegame, so try without it.

I created a small album about what I did on imgur. Remember that you can enter screenshot mode with the camera icon below the bulldozer to disable the interface.

Things for future mayors to keep in mind:
    • The water budget is at 50%. Once water/sewage becomes a problem, first move that back to 100% before building new pumps.
    • Have fun!

So, next is huwlynes I suppose?

Apparently you can set required mods on Savegames in the Workshop, so mods and custom assets are presumably fairly simple to use, too.
    Last edited by mrwonko; 10-04-2015 at 03:24 PM.

Obscure Node
    Right, that's tomorrow afternoon sorted then. :)

Activated Node
    Nice start. :)

Also as I'm not really a regular on the forums here, feel free to poke at me on Steam (Canadave87) if I forget to check in when it's my turn. I'll try to keep an eye out here over the weekend, though.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadave View Post
    Nice start. :)

Also as I'm not really a regular on the forums here, feel free to poke at me on Steam (Canadave87) if I forget to check in when it's my turn. I'll try to keep an eye out here over the weekend, though.
    Thanks.

You can enable email notifications on new posts, in case you didn't know.

Activated Node
    I took a look at the city even if it isn't my turn yet out of sheer excitement. :P I'm hoping to see everyone else's contribution too.

Remember to leave some space for green belts and highway access, guys. ;) It'll be an insanely huge thing for future traffic and pollution control.