Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar

MUSH! Glory to the mushroom kingdoms.

I was recently introduced to the amazingness that is MUSH at mush.twinoid.com. Yes, it's a browser game.

MUSH plays like a mixture of Werewolf, Space Station 13 and FTL and I figured I'd be surprised if I was the only one here! So, is anyone else playing? I should be done with my current round by next week and would love to start one with a few friendly (or deceptively unfriendly) faces. Anyone in?

If you ask what makes MUSH so awesome, I will happily answer with this:

I am an infiltrator on a ship of 16, and I managed to infect two people so far. I managed to turn the Cook into a horribly monstrosity by infecting the cat which he picked up to get a moral boost. Instead, he got much, much more. Additionally, as the high administrator of the ship's computer, I managed to convince everyone that researching weapon power will give us much needed advantage against the hunters of the enemy empire that are following us, and that researching a vaccine against the mushroom monster infiltrators among us is of secondary importance first. Of course it helps that one of my allies sabotaged some of the fighters, so our defenses aren't the best at the moment.

I am in love. So much in love. With a free to play browsergame, no less.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Obscure Node
    Ive really wanted to give this a try, im going to have to this weekend.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Looks like fun, count me in.

And everyone non-MUSH has just committed suicide due to depression, died of asphyxiation because someone hid most of the space suits and sabotaged the oxygen tanks, or was simply assassinated by three rampaging mushroom monsters who hunted down the last survivor in the hydroponic gardens.

The cat survived.

I am not sure how to organize an actual round - I suppose you have to join a game at exactly the same minute. I'd recommend trying tomorrow at 11am UK time.

For subscribers there seems to be some sort of ableness to cast other people into your team, but I'd like to play another round at least before comitting. It was one hell of a fun ride so far though.
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.

Yeah, I would like to do this. I can't do it at 11am however.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Innocent View Post
    You, sir, are awesome.
    I spew words about Videogames, SEO and general geekery at Jaketucker.com

I'll try and be there, why not

So, been reading up on it - they always load at least two ships simultaneously, so if you sign up simultaneously, there's a chance you're not going to end up on the same ship.

A shame that playing with friends is a bit trickier, but apparently they'll have a guilds-like system down the road - so don't worry if you miss this date.

The first time I tried playing this, barely anyone spoke to anyone else. It seems like communication is key to success, so... *shrug, tail off muttering, etc*

ETA: I'm in, as Finola, on a ship with 12 slots left. See ya on there! (or not)
    Last edited by Harlander; 11-11-2013 at 11:17 AM.

Apparently I'm the ship's cook now. Bring out yer dead aliens!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Your use of all caps in the title and first post led me to believe it was this kind of MUSH.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

I've been playing since the RPS article, and it seems like it could be a lot of fun, but I desperately hope the players that aren't actually going to play bugger off soon. Right now it seems like everyone jumps into a ship, says "Hi" and a couple of posts that suggest they're actually going to play, and then does absolutely sod all.

Not too impressed by the monetisation aspect. Seems like there's a bunch of stuff you can't even do as a crew unless at least one of you has paid to get extra skill slots.

Weirdly, I don't mind the "pay once to unlock some things" aspect, it feels like just buying the full game I've played the first shareware episode of. Paying real money for in-game tokens or bits of stuff is something I don't care to indulge in (especially since I broke this trend for Spiral Knights then immediately went on to never play it again)

Generally I don't have too much of an issue with f2p stuff, but it seems like it gives a massive advantage to players who pay by giving them access to extra skills.

Possibly, though most of the players are cooperating, so it's not too much of an issue. That said, I haven't seen how gold mode affects MUSH characters..

Obscure Node
    Mush characters can have up to 5 skills if they're in gold mode, just like any other characters.

I've played the game for a few months, the core idea is great but when I left it suffered from some really broken mechanics (you're mush ? Just disassemble the showers or fly away in a spotter with an important object and you more or less won), a terrible monetization system (You're pretty useless unless you've payed at least once, and come on,10 euros/months for the full game when something like EVE is 14/month ?), and having half of your public games wasted by idiots. It might have improved though.
    Last edited by Syll; 12-11-2013 at 03:55 PM.

I joined a game, but it turns out I can't reliably access the website every 3-6 hours to take my turns. which is unfortunate, as I'm a massive Space station 13 player.
    You, sir, are awesome.

Funnily enough I am in a good game right now, my 2nd. We killed the two starter mush quite quickly and are now working well as a team. I find I don't have to log in every 3 hours, sometimes just once a day is enough - you build up all your APs and can just do all your stuff in one go.

Yeah, in fact obsessively going in every 3 hours to do your moves (like I've been doing) can work against you, as you won't have enough points to do a whole lot.

Then I should take my turn after work today as I am a pilot and they need me to kill the bad man space dudes in my fighter jet.

The art style in this game annoys the piss out of me.
    You, sir, are awesome.