Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    I got it in the sale too. I like it, but the combat is really as bad as people say. Getting stuck a lot on investigation missions, but in a way it's kind of nice to allow myself to get stuck in a game; that's something that almost never happens these days.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    Haven't played in a while but I got to Transylvania, if anyone wants a hand with a dungeon or something hit me up on steam

Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    I got it in the sale too. I like it, but the combat is really as bad as people say. Getting stuck a lot on investigation missions, but in a way it's kind of nice to allow myself to get stuck in a game; that's something that almost never happens these days.
    Not using the mouse for the attacks takes getting used to. I remapped to the number pad, and it's pretty much second nature now. Yes, as you say, it's quite refreshing getting stuck a bit, especially when it's due to an intellectual challenge.
    "Oh, evolution. It wasn't meant for everyone."

Quote Originally Posted by glimpse fade yelp View Post
    Not using the mouse for the attacks takes getting used to. I remapped to the number pad, and it's pretty much second nature now. Yes, as you say, it's quite refreshing getting stuck a bit, especially when it's due to an intellectual challenge.
    Hmm, that actually sounds quite reasonable. I'm getting aches in my hand from having to hold down buttons for mouselook too, so I really need to change something. Do you handle all combat movement with just wasd+qe then? What's a good way to handle targeting?

Hmm, that actually sounds quite reasonable. I'm getting aches in my hand from having to hold down buttons for mouselook too, so I really need to change something. Do you handle all combat movement with just wasd+qe then? What's a good way to handle targeting?
    I'm pretty new to it myself but, yes, basically wasd+qe ...and particularly q+d or e+a for circle strafing in combat. I find that once I have the target selected (Tab if need be to select), I don't have to deal with mouselook too much.

Since there seems to be a couple of us that have recently gotten the game, I thought I'd crowdsource some of the investigation missions. I don't want answers from people who actually know the solutions you know, just want to throw ideas around with people who are as stuck as me. :)

I'm at tier 7/18 on the main quest, and might refer to stuff up to that point, so don't look if you don't want that spoiled.

I've done most of the ordinary missions and sidequests in Kingsmouth, but I have three investigation missions in various states of stuck-ness.

Something Wicked - Tier 4/5
    I don't really know where to start looking for white ravens or golden girls. Not proper stuck since I haven't really gotten started on this. There's plenty of ordinary ravens about town, but I have never seen any white ones. Don't know if it's symbolic of something else.

The Vision - Tier 5/6
    I don't know where I'd find a gallows, if that's even what I'm looking for. I did check the suicide victim at Journey's End and that didn't seem to be it. The second part of the clue talks about seeing into the past and the future, which I don't know what it could be referring to neither. I returned to Madame Rogêt to see if it referred to her fortune telling but found nothing special.

Digging Deeper - Tier 2/6
    Stuck in the tunnels. I seem to lack a fourth illuminati artefact required to open the doors. I suspect it might be the item that Beaumont has in his possession, so I might simply need to progress further along the main quest. On the other hand there's that book on the floor in one of the dead-end passages with some sort of poem in it that refers to setting yourself in motion. It seems like it could be directions for walking somewhere, with all the references to looking at stuff and such, but I don't know where the starting point would be in that case.

As I said, please chime in with your thoughts if you don't know the answers!

EDIT: Tried out that setup with binding the attacks to numpad and it seems to work out pretty good. Much more comfortable than the defaults.
    Last edited by postinternetsyndrome; 28-01-2014 at 09:25 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I've yet to commit the summoning rituals and pass through to the Secret World, for in my dreams I see myself obsessing over it and not getting any work done.

But yeah, once my workload has slacked off a bit I will investigate it.

Since there seems to be a couple of us that have recently gotten the game, I thought I'd crowdsource some of the investigation missions. I don't want answers from people who actually know the solutions you know, just want to throw ideas around with people who are as stuck as me. :)

I'm at tier 7/18 on the main quest, and might refer to stuff up to that point, so don't look if you don't want that spoiled.

I've done most of the ordinary missions and sidequests in Kingsmouth, but I have three investigation missions in various states of stuck-ness.

Something Wicked - Tier 4/5
    I don't really know where to start looking for white ravens or golden girls. Not proper stuck since I haven't really gotten started on this. There's plenty of ordinary ravens about town, but I have never seen any white ones. Don't know if it's symbolic of something else.

The Vision - Tier 5/6
    I don't know where I'd find a gallows, if that's even what I'm looking for. I did check the suicide victim at Journey's End and that didn't seem to be it. The second part of the clue talks about seeing into the past and the future, which I don't know what it could be referring to neither. I returned to Madame Rogêt to see if it referred to her fortune telling but found nothing special.

Digging Deeper - Tier 2/6
    Stuck in the tunnels. I seem to lack a fourth illuminati artefact required to open the doors. I suspect it might be the item that Beaumont has in his possession, so I might simply need to progress further along the main quest. On the other hand there's that book on the floor in one of the dead-end passages with some sort of poem in it that refers to setting yourself in motion. It seems like it could be directions for walking somewhere, with all the references to looking at stuff and such, but I don't know where the starting point would be in that case.

As I said, please chime in with your thoughts if you don't know the answers!

EDIT: Tried out that setup with binding the attacks to numpad and it seems to work out pretty good. Much more comfortable than the defaults.
    I know some of the answers at least but I confess to taking the odd hint here and there, too. I guess that's why they included the in-game browser. With Kingsmouth being a kind of training ground, I allowed myself to do that because it gives you a sense of how certain puzzles work ...it lays out the ground rules, which are sometimes pretty obscure. If you can get through it with no hints at all, I'd say...wow!

I've already looked up some stuff on wikis and such, but I thought I'd try this out. I want to avoid spoilers as much as possible, but I'm realistic too - I don't have infinite time.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    If you want to Google for info but don't want to get spoilers in your results just add "-tsw -the secret world" at the end of all Google queries (minus quotes of course).
    Last edited by Winged Nazgul; 30-01-2014 at 10:37 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Kingsmouth has its own web presence that you need to do the Vision at least, unless you previously ran across the island and looked at all the little plaques. This here is spoiler-free and canon: http://www.kingsmouth.com/

For the other two items you are stuck on: You already have everything you need in your possession and/or in the immediate area where you are stuck. :) (Unless I completely misremember, which is a possibility.)

Good luck!
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Started playing this now. Drop Margaret 'Rizlar' Ofili a line why not, she is becoming fairly proficient at poking holes in dead people with pointy objects in Kingsmouth.

The game world is actually amazing, was not expecting to be quite so immersed from the get-go. And the writing is indeed fantastic. Played a bit of The Longest Journey in the last few weeks to get in the mood, but even so, TSW has managed to exceed my expectations!

(Semi-seriously....) The highlight so far has to be the loading screens, the gradual saturation of the images is so satisfying. There is a strong sense of the world resolving itself, details coming to life before your eyes, which beautifully mirrors aspects of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Started playing this now. Drop Margaret 'Rizlar' Ofili a line why not, she is becoming fairly proficient at poking holes in dead people with pointy objects in Kingsmouth.

The game world is actually amazing, was not expecting to be quite so immersed from the get-go. And the writing is indeed fantastic. Played a bit of The Longest Journey in the last few weeks to get in the mood, but even so, TSW has managed to exceed my expectations!

(Semi-seriously....) The highlight so far has to be the loading screens, the gradual saturation of the images is so satisfying. There is a strong sense of the world resolving itself, details coming to life before your eyes, which beautifully mirrors aspects of the game.
    Glad to hear you're having fun!

Still hooked here and I haven't even touched the additional content added in the DLC "Issues".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    What's the best way to hook up with RPSers in game? Anyone know if there is a Dragon cabal I could join?

I'm still only just starting to get my head around many of the systems, would be good to have a few people around to harass with questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    What's the best way to hook up with RPSers in game? Anyone know if there is a Dragon cabal I could join?

I'm still only just starting to get my head around many of the systems, would be good to have a few people around to harass with questions.
    I don't know about RPSers, or whether there are many in game at all, but there are plenty of cabals. Your best bet might be to do a general search online or on the TSW forums to find one you like the look of. Some seem more receptive to new players than others.

Look me up if you like - main character name is 'Hoskreiger'. Happy to chat or to duo for missions. UK and Dragon in the Dark Omen cabal (about whom I know very little, the person who recruited me was very helpful, they seem to have lots of members in the list but the cabal chat has been totally dead whenever I've been on). Only been playing since last October, currently near the end of Savage Coast missions, that's the next zone after Innsmouth. I haven't played at all since December (X-COM EW and other backlogged games got their hooks too deep into me for a while) but should be back in there this week. Lovely game, first MMO that's hooked me at all since City of Heroes/Villains, I need to get back in there and finish the storyline.