Network Hub

Pirates of New Horizons: The cat is out of the bag!

Remember that old prototype of a colourful sky pirates game (with really nicely designed Treasure Planet-ish ships) that I went nuts over? Well, I think they're trying to push buttons in my brain, specifically. I think this is being done entirely on purpose. Because not only did I love it originally, but now I love it about a billion more times than I did for entirely, admittedly, single-minded reasons.

http://www.exitstrategyentertainment.com/ponh/?p=321

For those who don't want to click the link, let me sum it up for you: The protagonist's sidekick is a sentient (not anthro) cyborg-cat. One with a monocle, a top hat, and a flourishing moustache that most men would be envious of. That's better than any parrot, I say.

This game is trying to recapture everything I used to love about games, it seems, that most of gaming has long since forgotten. Colour, charm, embracing the fantastic, and just being silly for the sake of being silly, to hell with explanations. Which is to say it's doing a lot to embrace the escapism of an entirely fun and silly world. If they do this right, it could be like the PC's take on Ratchet & Clank.

And to be honest, if their prototype was anything to go by, they're already doing things very right indeed.

This might be old news to some but I wasn't aware of it. I just checked by there on a whim. Not sure why really, it just popped into my mind, I remembered it, and I wanted to see what progress they'd made. Every time they make progress I'm left smiling. The only thing I wish is that they'd do a pay-for-the-alpha sort of thing, so I could play it and observe it as it's being developed. Sort of like what's going on with Overgrowth (which is also fascinating to watch).

Oh yes, I remember this. The prototype was a blast with some great humour and a wonderful sense of fun. The dungeoning aspect was rather unpolished, but that's easily forgiveable for a prototype. I'm glad they've decided to make a game out of it after all, will definitely be keeping an eye on this one.

And it's nice to have you with us again, Wulf. =)
    Last edited by Rii; 27-06-2011 at 03:29 PM.

There couldn't be a more fitting person for posting this. :) The artwork sketches look more interesting than that screenshot of the pirate lady with her cat ("Nikola Tesla but as a cat." - awesome) though, but I guess that is true for most games artwork.

I hadn't heard of this game but colour me oddly excited now about it. Perhaps its the barmy ideas (Tesla as inspiration for a cat? Let alone a cat that appears to be half helicopter, madness) or the charming screen shot.

The prototype is charming, and you may either download it, or use the Unity plug-in with your browser(not that any of y'all would ever do this at work). And, I second Rii's sentiments on the return of Wulf.