Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node

Games you despise with a passion!

Was browsing through the CGI thread and someone posted a video for the PoP game from 2008 (The celshaded one). A game, I can say with total conviction detest to the very core of my being. I simply think people who like this game in anyway are utter morons. Why?

QTE combat, where if you fail halfway through all their health is restored.

Even worse, QTE/rhythm platforming. It is utterly baffling and enraging that gamers would enjoy platforming where pressing anything other than A for the first jump and then just holding the analogue stick in a forward position is all that is needed to "platform" in this "game".

WHY DO THEY HAVE AMERICAN HIGH SCHOOL ACCENTS AND ARE PRETENDING TO FLIRT AS IF IN A AWFUL ROMCOM! FUCK OFF!

You can never fail. Ever. Because Erika has swishy swooshy magicy curse thingy which automatically teleports you to the nearest ledge if you fall and in the sheer boredom of the "game" you will fall often because there is no incentive to actually connect with the game in any meaningful way.

To add insult to injury, there's a plot bit at the end when the girl is taken away and suddenly....you have to platform with thought and precision. There is meaning behind the platforming again! Alas, it is still rhythm platforming but at least you can fall down.

You get five achievement points for starting the game.....

I can't see beyond the sheer rage of this game atm. Pretty positive there are other games I can come up with.
    Last edited by khaz; 07-07-2012 at 04:35 PM.

S.t.a.l.k.e.r.
    If graphics are not important why spend so much on a GPU?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Wow, really? I can see why some people would despise it actually but seriously? I'm curious as to the reasons.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Company of Heroes, Starcraft.

Nothing against CoH as a game, it's very good and I'm looking forward to the sequel, but I've been forced to play it against my will at LAN events and with friends so many times, that I can't bear to play it any more.

Starcraft... well I just always hated it and never understood where the 'fun' is supposed to be in that game. Base building and maths don't float my boat.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Let me just be the first to say: Gish. If you've played it, you know why.

Another game I had a rather violent dislike for was And Yet it Moves. The ugly Flash-cutout artstyle, the boring puzzles, the many, many falling deaths, right down to the infinitely stupid title. Would not recommend

Cave Story+. I can see why certain people like this game, but it marries old-school difficulty and esotericism with new-school (read: shitty) level design in a way that did nothing but frustrate me. I guess I liked it enough to finish playing it, but I was robbed the satisfaction by discovering immediately afterward that I missed most of the powerful end-game weapons because I didn't jump through its invisible hoops throughout the entire game. I didn't even get the non-linearity promised by the Metroid comparisons. No thank you, Nicalis.

(as for the fact that these are all indie bundle games... I guess I wouldn't be suckered into buying a shitty game any other way)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Nothing, really.

It was a buggy mess that took me age's to get to work, and when it did was just a buggy mess with poor graphics and no atmosphere. The shooting was the worst I have ever seen in any game (2 foot away with a shotgun and still managed to miss?). Everything about it screamed poorly made mod. After reading so much hype about it I was met with a big steaming turd which even after days and days of tweaking still was prones to freezes and crashes. Normally i would put up with it, but when I actually got to play it turned out to be the worst experience of my gaming life (even worse than ARMA 2).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopig View Post
    no atmosphere
    I... What? How. And why?

Network Hub
    Less an individual game, more a genre, MOBAs (as in the DOTA, LoL style), just can't comprehend the enjoyment people derive from the genre, either watching or playing.

Yeah I agree. Horrible communities too.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Man, i'm a MOBA addict and love them. But i'm level headed enough to see why many many people despise them. If I wasn't such a fiend for them i'm pretty sure I would hate MOBAs just as equally.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Starcraft 2, because it's killing (or at least severely hampering) the RTS genre slowly but surely.

Call of Duty, for the above reasons but with the FPS genre.

2008 Prince of Persia was certainly YMMV, but I thought it was great.

Could you people use the Quote function, please? It's easier to follow the conversation when you quote the people you answer to.

As for the topic, I don't remember playing a game that I hate with passion.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Oshada View Post
    2008 Prince of Persia was certainly YMMV, but I thought it was great.
    You give me one solid practical gaming reason Oshada. I just can't see it. I can't even see PoP as
    a game, I just cant. :(

Network Hub
    Every single game made by blizzard since the vikings one.

They are mediocre, without exception. All their games boil down to an overkill of minmaxing and micromanagement. They apparently only made two games: An Everquest clone, and Warcraft.

The Everquest clone is little but xp/gear grind, a completely pointless perpetual grind to boot. Their pricing model revolves around buying a game to earn the privilege to pay monthly and buying expansions to reacquire gear that was made worthless by the expansion in question. Their rabid sharding runs contrary to the premise of an MMO, and the segregation of their playerbase per level range means it's impossible to play together most of the time due to being on a different shard, different level or different gear. It is, by far, the single most over rated game of this millenium so far.

Their Warcraft spinoffs (and by spinoff i mean "the same game with different art") derive their gameplay from crippling both unit ai and the interface to force the player into ridiculous micromanagement. It becomes not a game of strategy or tactics, but a game of rapid button mashing and robotic execution minmaxed build orders. It is so bad that simple memorization of build patterns and hard counters gets you very, very far in multiplayer.

Network Hub
    BioShock, terrible game by itself made even more terrible by the fact that it's the "sequel" to one of my favourite games.

Oblivion, ditto

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    You give me one solid practical gaming reason Oshada. I just can't see it. I can't even see PoP as
    a game, I just cant. :(
    Well, it's definitely a game. If we can't agree that Prince of Persia 2008 is a game then I'm afraid we're speaking different languages. Other than that ... personally I don't think there's anything wrong with "rhythm platforming" itself. I suspect that any platforming that requires timing control could be called "rhythm platforming" so perhaps I'm not quite on the same page as you there ... but I feel the problem in PoP 2008 is less the terms of the game and more that the player is never really challenged along those terms. You can't fail in the really-rather-rhythmic VVVVVV either because of a check-pointing system that effectively does the same thing Erika does in PoP 2008, but I found it an exceedingly rewarding and challenging game.

All that said, I still didn't like PoP 2008. I absolutely loved the ending--the bit after the credits. That was a really nice touch and a great example of mechanically driven storytelling techniques. But beyond that I found it boring and tedious. I just disagree with you as to how it's failures can be generalized to other games.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    Was browsing through the CGI thread and someone posted a video for the PoP game from 2008 (The celshaded one). A game, I can say with total conviction detest to the very core of my being. I simply think people who like this game in anyway are utter morons. Why?

etc
    Is this sarcasm? I'd like to think so, given you're basically saying 'anyone who doesn't like what I like is a moron', but the tone suggests otherwise. You don't even make a compelling case to back up that statement and set a bad precedent for any responses.

You can never fail. Ever. Because Erika has swishy swooshy magicy curse thingy which automatically teleports you to the nearest ledge if you fall and in the sheer boredom of the "game" you will fall often because there is no incentive to actually connect with the game in any meaningful way.
    The death mechanic is pretty much identical to a kind of reload system, without forcing the player to replay huge sections of content. The game is clearly designed to be a relaxing and casual platformer and that style of death suits it perfectly. It removes the feeling of challenge certainly, but then again the game isn't attempting to appeal to that type of player.

It is utterly baffling and enraging that gamers would enjoy platforming where pressing anything other than A for the first jump and then just holding the analogue stick in a forward position is all that is needed to "platform" in this "game".
    The platforming is simplistic [it's a simplistic game after all] though I don't see a great difference between the platforming in this game and that of 'Forgotten Sands' [widely praised as being 'back to roots']. In both cases your character automatically platforms at the touch of a button whilst you perform pseudo-quick time events to keep them alive.
    Last edited by DzX; 07-07-2012 at 05:37 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Mass effect 1 :
    Gameplay: the shooting is absolutely terrible, don't think anyone will try to argue against that...
    AI is some of the worst I've ever seen.
    Story is fan fic style rubbish, they don't bother establishing major characters before killing them off, no character growth, no nothing, it tries so hard to be overly dramatic while it gives you no reason to care for any of the characters. The pacing of the plot is terrible too.
    The graphics... well it's an old version of ue3 with no AA support , buggy shadows that just got removed in a patch as a "fix" and the few assets they bothered making are repeated over and over and over again.
    The animations are really awful too... especially the facial animations.
    It's also a horribly simple game in rpg terms.
    Oh and did I mention the UI is awful?

It's such a bad, BAD game, and despite that is was somehow super successful and popular.
    The success of this game basically greenlit bioware to never put any effort in ever again, because people have super low standards.