Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    Well to be honest with you I can't remember exactly what I was so outraged about, I just remember playing it for almost an hour (51 minutes to be precise, back at the start of October last year) and seriously regretting spending money on it to the point that I was actually angry. If you like I'll start a new game and come and tell you how I feel about it after another 51 minutes (that's not me being facetious, it's a genuine offer), but in all honesty I'm not the type to get all worked up like that over a game so I must've had a good reason. It's just a shame that my memory is as bad as it is.
    It's up to you. I like westerns and I like shooters so I figured that was enough to sell me, but if it's really excretal I'll just as easily skip it. Does it do anything interesting with the 19th century setting?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dunnace View Post
    Gears of War
    I've yet to hear a compelling and reasonable explanation about why GoW is hated so much. Every time I ask people it's either about a quality of fandom/playerbase, or people bash CliffyB/Epic/Microsoft for reasons unrelated to the game, some deislike GoW's influence in the gaming industry( color palette, buff space marines, cover, regenerating health). Almost none of it has anything to do with the game itself. So why the hate?

Quote Originally Posted by coldvvvave View Post
    I've yet to hear a compelling and reasonable explanation about why GoW is hated so much. Every time I ask people it's either about a quality of fandom/playerbase, or people bash CliffyB/Epic/Microsoft for reasons unrelated to the game, some deislike GoW's influence in the gaming industry( color palette, buff space marines, cover, regenerating health). Almost none of it has anything to do with the game itself. So why the hate?
    Because hating popular things is hip.

Network Hub
    I hate GoW because it fucking made me want the 2 sequels, without sinking cash on a console.

Banned
    Gears of War 1 was awesome but they totally lost it with GOW2, and because of that I didn't buy 3, and I doubt I ever will.

It got boring and they lost half the stuff that was fun from the original, and despite it been an unreal game the vehicle handling was severely borked.

(except the giant worm level in GOW2, that was pretty awesome)

Uncharted series (2 especially) and Vanquish reached the pinnacle of what can be done with the TPS shooter I think, and consequently have spoilt the genre for me because nothing lives up to the excitement those two games provide.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post

Uncharted series (2 especially) and Vanquish reached the pinnacle of what can be done with the TPS shooter I think, and consequently have spoilt the genre for me because nothing lives up to the excitement those two games provide.

That's how I feel about TF2.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Modern Warfare 2 probably embodied the lowest that series went in my eyes.
    I actually didn't mind MW2. I just bought MW3 and it's worse. It's Infinity Ward's worst game if you ask me. MW2 introduced some new (idiotic) mechanics like bullet time and drones. MW3 just recycled those into a level pack and tacked on insufferable unskippable in-engine cutscenes and honest-to-goodness Dragon's Lair quicktime events.

I'm big on stories in games but MW2 and MW3 are among a very short list of games whose stories I skip the first time I play through.

I just remembered that I disliked Red Faction: Guerilla so much, I stopped playing it after just a few missions. It was one of the first games I bought with my own money and then never finished. I could not stand it. If I remember correctly, my biggest complaints were horrible controls and scandalous input lag, giving me the impression of a very bad port. It didn't help that the AI was frequently too dumb to live.

I had none of those problems with RF:G and I thought it was pretty fun. It doesn't have the same open world sand box type game play as it's predecessors, but it's still a very fun game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I hate almost all console games.

The Halo series are bad. The Uncharted serie is beyond horrible (literally room after room of "shot from cover" idioticy). The Gears of Wars is pretty bland, boring and horrible gameplay. I can't describe in words how crappy these games look to me.

It must be a cultural thing, because console gamers see no problem with these games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I had none of those problems with RF:G and I thought it was pretty fun. It doesn't have the same open world sand box type game play as it's predecessors, but it's still a very fun game.
    Agreed. I played the demo on my PS3 and after hitting the very first object I knew, knew I'd buy it at the first available opportunity. I, of course, did not and instead picked it up when I saw it for cheap on Steam, then played something like 16 hours in a weekend, which is quite a lot, then realised I was really bored of it and got sidetracked. I keep meaning to go back to it, I mean 16 hours of most games gets boring so I don't really think that's the game's fault. I seem to recall one demo challenge thing where I had to destroy a tower with a single explosive barrel, I can't remember how I did it in the end but finding out was fucking hilarious. Turns out hitting the barrel with the sledgehammer isn't the best idea.

Oh and about Call of Juarez, I really can't remember why I hated it so I will sacrifice my evening to play it again and report back.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Wait what? RF:G was the only open sandbox RF game.

Haha, you're the second person today to mix up Guerilla and Armageddon. (You and Smashbox)

Oh, oops haha.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Right well according to Steam I've played 19 minutes of CoJ:BiB, and my re-observations are as follows:
    - The guy I'm using now sounds like he's having a long, drawn out stroke. As in the brain thing.
    - Every time someone talks to you, you get locked into staring at them and all you can do is move around them in an orbit or move towards or away from them, which is sort of funny I guess.
    - The sound quality is pretty poor, I died just now and some guy taunted me and it reminded me of this (maybe a slight exaggeration):

- The shooting is very meh.
    - Concentration mode is just, oh man, what is it? You basically press Z, the game slows down, you look at all the stuff you want to shoot before the time runs out then you automatically shoot everything you just looked at. Max Payne 3 it certainly is not, in fact even Splinter Cell: Conviction's Mark and Execute mechanic feels better because you get to look awesome while shooting, in this you just enter a sort of autopilot where you gain the ability to shoot like you feel like you should be able to in the game anyway.
    - Oh yeah, that's another thing; with the same gun (a lever action rifle), the enemies can for some reason out-shoot you 3-4 bullets to your one. It just makes me feel like an idiot and that the guns are too sluggish, but I expect when you get better ones they'll be ok.
    - The game itself so far seems to involve going to places, speaking to a person and then shooting enemies who are in a corridor (in your trench) or in a shooting gallery (approaching your trench).
    - Within these first 19 minutes I've also just done a turret sequence.
    - Generally, on the whole, and I'm sure someone will groan a groan of 'that doesn't really say anything you idiot', it feels like Call of Duty: American Civil War Ops. I mean did they really throw sticks of TNT like grenades back then? Maybe they did but that seems extremely unsafe to me, but even if they did do that the rest of it does just feel horribly generic and like it's trying to be another clone. I was half expecting someone to say something about 'tangos passing in the open' or 'grenade, get outta there!'.

Some good things it has going for it:
    - It's reasonably pretty for it's age.
    - I did play the PS3 demo a while back and enjoyed it, so maybe this is just a really, really poor start to something good and I'm being too quick to judge. Still, if you can't make yourself play until it gets good, what does it matter how good the rest is?
    - I think there was a third thing but I've forgotten what it was, so it can't've been that great.

Maybe others see it differently, but I'm really not seeing anything particularly appealing so far. I feel like I should power through because maybe it does get better but so far I'm not feeling it in the slightest.

As for making use of the era it's set in, yeah, I'm currently in the American Civil War. The guns are shaped like they should be but have no actual names which is kind of a cop out I think, they could've made something up that sounds plausible surely? Rather than 'Rusty Classic Rifle'. It just adds to an overall feeling of poor production and cheapness as far as I'm concerned. It's kind of hard to say more as I know nothing about the war in which it's set, but it feels authentic enough in the same way that Battlefield feels authentic (i.e. way more authentic than Call of Duty) Then again I'm trying to think of a story-driven first person shooter I'd rather be playing and there's not one, so I'm tempted to give this the benefit of the doubt because maybe when I'm playing as someone who doesn't sound like a drunk falling ever so slowly down some stairs (oh yeah, the characters seem to be into the whole 'thinking out loud monologue' thing which is kind of grating, even after only 19 minutes) I won't mind so much. Some of the minor roles' voice acting has been better than the guy I'm playing as so maybe that's a good sign. Seriously, though, if he is supposed to be permadrunk I might not mind so much.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I have to say, anything that reminds you of Sunset Riders can't be all bad. But it sounds like I'd be better off playing Sunset Riders anyways.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by djbriandamage View Post
    I actually didn't mind MW2. I just bought MW3 and it's worse. It's Infinity Ward's worst game if you ask me. MW2 introduced some new (idiotic) mechanics like bullet time and drones. MW3 just recycled those into a level pack and tacked on insufferable unskippable in-engine cutscenes and honest-to-goodness Dragon's Lair quicktime events.

I'm big on stories in games but MW2 and MW3 are among a very short list of games whose stories I skip the first time I play through.
    I have a slightly better opinion of Modern Warfare 3 (not that I'd ever buy or actually play it mind you) and Black Ops in that in how cynical those products turned out they actually felt a bit more "honest" if that makes any sense. My biggest problem with Modern Warfare 2's story (even more so than the plot holes) is the fact that the writers were trying to pretend the series was something it's not, that is something trying to make a meaningful artistic statement on the level of Metal Gear Solid or god forbid Ice Pick Lodge's catalog. More importantly Treyarch and the new Infinity Ward team at least don't exude nearly the same level of arrogance Vince Zampella and Jason West alone exhibited (if you ask me, they're both as much in the wrong as Bobby Kotick was).

Hopefully Treyarch (who I've never had any beef against) can turn that series around. I suspect if people actually took the time to look at the previews they might find that Treyarch are actually making the first meaningful changes to the series since the perks system in CoD4's multiplayer. As a caveat, I'll still wait for the reviews before I'll commit myself to buying and playing it.
    Last edited by Kevin; 17-07-2012 at 04:39 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I'll say this: I'm fairly sure that all the Call of Duty games are polished and enjoyable experiences. I'm fairly sure that, were I to buy Blops 2 or MW3, I'd have a good enough time with them.

Thing is, these games are upwards of $60 and drop down very slowly in sales. Considering I have a limited amount of money to spend on games, I'd rather keep that money for other games where the publisher is not actively milking the franchise for all it's worth. It's both a matter of principle and one of enjoyment. I know that I'll get more fun out of, say, Borderlands 2 than I'll get out of Blops 2, for a similar price (assuming I buy BL2 on release).

If you have so much money it's burning a hole in your pocket, sure, give the new Call of Duty games a shot. If you're more restrained, though, I feel like you'd make a better investment supporting interesting or innovative games which were made with good publishing practices.

I suppose I don't hate passionately, but there are games I frown upon with great snobbery and contentious disinterest.

- Diablo 3: It wasn't the always on DRM, it wasn't the RMAH, it wasn't the servers being down whenever I coughed, and it wasn't the strange gameplay tweaks. It was my characters getting cleaned out by some stranger on the internet, when I've never played a public game with anyone other than my friends. This game hold the most bile for me, and has caused me to reassess my stance on online singleplayer games for the sake of "security".

- SWTOR: I'm more mad at myself than I am at the game. I caved in to buy this, hoping the advertisements of "fulfill your Han Solo fantasy" for the Smuggler would actually be true. They weren't. Not only that, but the Soldier's story read like a cliff's notes of the Mass Effect series. No more MMOs, ever. Unless it's like Eve-Online.

- Darkstar One: I REALLY wanted to like this game, but my god did it do its best to make me hate it. It did so to the point I made it the butt of a joke in a video, that was of course wrong in its prediction.

Never really been a fan of the new CoD games, but I loved the first few that where in WWII.

Also F2P MMO's mostly all suck, they are grind fests with little depth.