Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 301
  1. #101
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    265
    Sudden Strike was rage inducing as a 13 year old, let me tell you. The good kind of rage. No base building however.

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,069
    All I remember from Sudden Strike was that you couldn't select multiple units at a time, at which point I promptly quit and uninstalled the game.

  3. #103
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    180
    Don't know if it's been mentioned before, but End of Nations looks pretty good...

  4. #104
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,438
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleekill View Post
    Blitzkrieg is up on GOG for $10. I highly recommend it to any RTS fans. No base building, pretty punishing, native language voice overs for all countries. Awesome 2d art mixed with 3d vehicle models. Fully destructible environments. I already own a hard copy but I need the expansions. Once I finish the vanilla campaigns I'll grab the GOG anthology. I hope they get Sudden Strike up there at some point because I never played it.
    Blitzkrieg is a great game, and worth buying, but I feel like it should be said that it is an RTS like hitman is a third person shooter, in that it is how you are delivered, very specifically, a puzzle game. There is no winging it. There is the solution and failure. Though blitzkrieg 2 was the lesser game, it was also far more of an RTS game.

  5. #105
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,308
    Quote Originally Posted by arathain View Post
    Well, there's the territory holding model that Relic uses for CoH and DoW 1 and 2, where resources are based on holding specific points across the map. Any infantry can capture a point. Wargame has sectors which you hold by having a command vehicle stationary in that sector. This way of doing things really changes the flow of the game, because it forces you to get units out into the field and into conflict from very early in the game.
    I consider that to be essentially the same thing. While I haven't played RTS games by Relic, I've played Z, by Bitmap Brothers (the people behind Chaos Engine). It pushes the concept to the extreme. If I remember correctly Z has absolutely no concept of money or any other standard resource. Each map is divided into sectors, and each sector has a flag in it. If you reach the flag, you convert the sector to your cause. You can't build your own unit factories - instead, each sector has one ! Additionally, there's no money but units take time to build (for example 0:30). That's it, everything is balanced by time to build and you have infinite queues.

    The game is all about spreading as fast as possible, although in a refreshing way. There are even unoccupied vehicles to capture and packs of grenades (limited in quantity, but gives great power to a infantry squad... in fact, they can destroy rocks with it).

    Now that I mention it... it looks like Relic games owe a lot to Z. Not just the concept of capturing territory, but infantry as squads instead of single individuals.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX5QB...eature=related

    Hmm, Z also seems to have critical hits although they're not labeled as such. In the Cannon Fodder fashion, debris and turrets from destroyed vehicles fly in the air and destroy anything they crash on. It's fun to watch.
    Last edited by b0rsuk; 11-07-2012 at 09:10 AM.
    pass

  6. #106
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,438
    Hmm. I think I prefered Z: Steel Soldiers way of doing it. You did the base building, you had money, but territories captured were worth varying amounts of money, so you were still always pushing out and looking for the way to expand and get more. Nice mix of the two ideas. I mean you could say 'that's just how relic do it' but steel soldiers did it first, and used expendable, mass amounts of units rather than preserving tough to kill squads, hence the mix. Excellent game.

  7. #107
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    I consider that to be essentially the same thing. While I haven't played RTS games by Relic, I've played Z, by Bitmap Brothers (the people behind Chaos Engine). It pushes the concept to the extreme. If I remember correctly Z has absolutely no concept of money or any other standard resource. Each map is divided into sectors, and each sector has a flag in it. If you reach the flag, you convert the sector to your cause. You can't build your own unit factories - instead, each sector has one ! Additionally, there's no money but units take time to build (for example 0:30). That's it, everything is balanced by time to build and you have infinite queues.

    The game is all about spreading as fast as possible, although in a refreshing way. There are even unoccupied vehicles to capture and packs of grenades (limited in quantity, but gives great power to a infantry squad... in fact, they can destroy rocks with it).

    Now that I mention it... it looks like Relic games owe a lot to Z. Not just the concept of capturing territory, but infantry as squads instead of single individuals.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX5QB...eature=related

    Hmm, Z also seems to have critical hits although they're not labeled as such. In the Cannon Fodder fashion, debris and turrets from destroyed vehicles fly in the air and destroy anything they crash on. It's fun to watch.
    Age of Mythology managed this very well too.

    You got your traditional buildings and such from the go but you’re population was limited by how many settlements you held. If you didn’t tried to turtle you would quickly find yourself overwhelmed on the battlefield as your opponent managed to control the map; but if you went for settlements too quickly you would lose out to a better prepared army anyhow. Really encouraged you to manage guns and butter as it were. Also ensured that there were focal points of battle and emphasised the importance of picking your ground.

    And then you had brilliant epoch powers like summoning a massive dragon, or Ragnarok where every single one of your units, including your workers, would turn into powerful warriors, but you couldn’t make any one else afterwards. Brilliant game.

  8. #108
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    183
    CoH is the best RTS IMO because I'm a sucker for destruction and I prefer the capture points over the boring resource gathering of SC.

  9. #109
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,069
    CoH is also the best RTS because of the tactical overlay. If you're playing an RTS at any decent level you'll be spending most of your time looking at the minimap, so the fullscreen overlay is a godsend.

    It's amazing that only titles that actually figured this out were CoH and Supreme Commander(and the latter did it more for the cool factor), but it just goes to show how most people who make videogames don't really understand them at all.

  10. #110
    Obscure Node Sūduruncis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Latvia
    Posts
    13
    These days I am playing CoH Blitzkrieg mod for my RTS fix. I really recommend it for everyone who owns the game.

  11. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The land of slain white knights
    Posts
    850
    Quote Originally Posted by Sūduruncis View Post
    These days I am playing CoH Blitzkrieg mod for my RTS fix. I really recommend it for everyone who owns the game.
    Tell us about the mod then??

  12. #112
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,611
    FEATURES:

    • works with Company of Heroes, Opposing Fronts, Tales of Valor or any combination of these three!
    • a much more realistic weapon damage system
    • greatly changed & expanded Commander Trees
    • a new designed ambush system 2.0 using trees & bushes (new v4.5!)
    • enhanced infantry and tank VET system
    • many new skins for infantry and tanks
    • many new units for all factions (>100 overall)
    • many new abilities
    • new sounds & fx effects
    • recommended new maps included in separate map installer
    • historical correct vehicle speeds
    • more detailed tank descriptions (armament & armour)
    • increased line of sight & weapon ranges
    • increased zoom out
    • removed team colours & projectile trails
    • removed transparency effects
    • a total of 32 new recommended maps included
    Sounds pretty good.

  13. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,069
    Sounds like one of these mods where they take other people's mods and just lump them together into one huge megamod without any consideration for the coherence, game logic or balance.

  14. #114
    Network Hub Duckee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    191
    CoH has nothing on Men of War :) I played a lot of CoH before I tried the Men of War series. I realized then that I really do not enjoy the CoH/Dawn of War style combat, where bullets and shells seem to do nothing to units.

    I am still hoping that Wargame:European Escalation comes on sale soon, as it looks like a mix between World in Conflict and Men of War.

  15. #115
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,014
    It was 50% off this weekend...

  16. #116
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    496
    I like Starcraft for its smooth action/control, the resource and focus strategy behind it, and "honest" fantasy theme.
    Hated CoH because it was still a "click fast" game but had both worse controls and less strategy, and the furious clicking was incongruent with the realistic veneer.
    Blitzkrieg sounds appealing to me, kinda like I expected CoH to be, with at least semi-realistic tactics you can concentrate on with less distraction from action or strategy.

  17. #117
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    572
    CoH, a click fest? You're not supposed to be micromanaging units that much, you know?

    Unless you're at the "pro" level, I see no reason to micro infantry. Tanks require some management, but if well positioned are generally able to defend themselves.

  18. #118
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Holland
    Posts
    1,526
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckee View Post
    I am still hoping that Wargame:European Escalation comes on sale soon, as it looks like a mix between World in Conflict and Men of War.
    Wasn't it the Steam weekend sale last week? 50% off put it at 20, if I remember correctly, which might or might not qualify as a sale. Not that it's much good to be reminded of a sale after it's expired, but anyway!
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

  19. #119
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    I like Starcraft for its smooth action/control, the resource and focus strategy behind it, and "honest" fantasy theme.
    Hated CoH because it was still a "click fast" game but had both worse controls and less strategy, and the furious clicking was incongruent with the realistic veneer.
    Blitzkrieg sounds appealing to me, kinda like I expected CoH to be, with at least semi-realistic tactics you can concentrate on with less distraction from action or strategy.
    Do you live in some bizarro backwards world?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  20. #120
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,499
    Wargame: EE looks interesting, but I'm skeptical of any game that appears to add a proper skirmish/comp stomp mode as an afterthought, being as that's the only mode I care about.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •