Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    I found it kind of tedious. All the clicking on sun-drops?
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Quote Originally Posted by Indefatigible Snoozer View Post
    Hi all
    Anyone have any decent games to recommend for a non-gamer, non-fantasy/sci-fi fan, non-preteen female?

Snoozer
    Maybe she'll enjoy one of the Double Fine games? Psychonauts, Stacking? Something else indie, like Limbo or Machinarium? World of Goo has been mentioned, but how about Trine? I was surprised how family-friendly that experience was, and I hear that it's a great co-op experience to boot.

If you're looking for 'relationships and sex', I hear Crusader Kings II has a lot of that. Something that technically also fits the criteria is Amnesia. [/non-serious]

I don't know whether it's very non-gamer oriented, but the clickety-click of Diablo and its clones may hold some appeal. Alternatively, you can try a light strategy game such as Age of Empires.

I'm also going to second To The Moon, even if it's technically an interactive story. It's just a damn good interactive story.
    Last edited by LTK; 11-07-2012 at 10:33 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    He was frighteningly obsessive about the mining part and dug a livably wide tunnel through a $%@%(! continent while the rest of us built torches, tools and doors, wandered around, and made our end of it fun and homey. Then we started to realize how many shovels and pickaxes he'd requisitioned. And then how far he was digging ... good lord.
    Excuse me, I think I need to go and dig another hole on the uRPS server.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Truth is, if you give a modern shooter or action title to a non gamer, they will flail, get frustrated, and quit. You have the benefit of years of experience with control methods
    I have to wonder, when did we experienced gamers learn to use those controls? We must have been equally as crap at strafing and turning and shooting and changing weapon and watching the HUD once, but I can't remember being crap, or ever being alienated by WASD (though I do remember discovering the feeling of "my god, why did I ever use the arrow keys? I shall always use these WASD things!")

(I would try to be on-topic, but about the only non-shooty game I can think of is Osmos, which doesn't fit relationships+sex...)
    Last edited by Danny252; 11-07-2012 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny252 View Post
    I have to wonder, when did we experienced gamers learn to use those controls? We must have been equally as crap at strafing and turning and shooting and changing weapon and watching the HUD once, but I can't remember being crap, or ever being alienated by WASD (though I do remember discovering the feeling of "my god, why did I ever use the arrow keys? I shall always use these WASD things!")
    I'll tell you this: Until playing Fallout 3, my father was still rebinding the 'forward' key to the right mouse button in every FPS he played. I had to convince him to use WASD, and since then he's learned to backpedal and fire at the same time, and that's it. Muscle memory can be a pain that way.

Botanicula/Offspring Fling/Snuggle-Truck? They're rather cute,that's the best I can think of/
    'Your sacrifice completes my sanctuary of a thousand testicles'
    My Steam profile

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    He was frighteningly obsessive about the mining part and dug a livably wide tunnel through a $%@%(! continent while the rest of us built torches, tools and doors, wandered around, and made our end of it fun and homey. Then we started to realize how many shovels and pickaxes he'd requisitioned. And then how far he was digging ... good lord.
    That sounds like how I play Minecraft. I really couldn't care less about the monsters and stuff, I just like digging and forming massive tunnel systems. One of my friends ran a server out of his house for just a handful of people to use and while everyone else all put together small little houses and formed a town I wandered off about a 10-15 minute walk away and started digging into a mountainside. I eventually built a massive tunnel from my base to their town, and brought the guy hosting the server out to see my creation. From the outside the only sign that I had been there was that I had built a wall in front of the mountain with a giant Black Mesa logo on it, but once he got inside I had dug a series of floors down to bedrock, had designated rooms for certain things, and a tunnel system that would have made the Viet Cong proud.

Eventually I used that tunnel system to strategically place an assload of TNT underneath and around their little shanty town, followed by a button with a sign next to it that said "Do not push this button. You have been warned." The next time I logged on to the server after that there was just a giant crater where the town had been. They were raging so hard for the next week or so as they debated on resetting the server or just relocating the town. The guy that hosted the server stopped playing right about then, so the server just closed down instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Marar Patrunjica View Post
    My girlfriend responded positively to Limbo and she's not a gamer by any stretch of the imagination, she also enjoyed watching me go through Dear Esther; first person controls are beyond her at the moment.
    That's interesting--my girlfriend enjoyed seeing/hearing about Dear Esther too, and we played through Limbo together recently. I'll second a number of others' suggestions too: she's a big fan of You Don't Know Jack, liked Crayon Physics and World of Goo and would probably enjoy To The Moon, which she bought for me.

We're currently playing through Botanicula together, and are both totally charmed.

Sorry, none of these are new suggestions, but I wanted to second (third, etc) them all.

I also haven't really pegged her tastes yet, though more involved games never seem to catch--LA Noire, Sims, Mirror's Edge (the only three games she's bought for herself... an interesting/odd assortment I think). And unfamiliarity with WASD made Minecraft and Portal, which I thought she'd love, frustrating non-hits. On the other hand, she's sunk dozens of hours into the iPad with Fairway Solitaire. So, 'casual' or not, games that can be played a tiny bit at a time seem to be the best bet, at least at this house.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unruly View Post
    That sounds like how I play Minecraft. I really couldn't care less about the monsters and stuff, I just like digging and forming massive tunnel systems. One of my friends ran a server out of his house for just a handful of people to use and while everyone else all put together small little houses and formed a town I wandered off about a 10-15 minute walk away and started digging into a mountainside. I eventually built a massive tunnel from my base to their town, and brought the guy hosting the server out to see my creation. From the outside the only sign that I had been there was that I had built a wall in front of the mountain with a giant Black Mesa logo on it, but once he got inside I had dug a series of floors down to bedrock, had designated rooms for certain things, and a tunnel system that would have made the Viet Cong proud.

Eventually I used that tunnel system to strategically place an assload of TNT underneath and around their little shanty town, followed by a button with a sign next to it that said "Do not push this button. You have been warned." The next time I logged on to the server after that there was just a giant crater where the town had been. They were raging so hard for the next week or so as they debated on resetting the server or just relocating the town. The guy that hosted the server stopped playing right about then, so the server just closed down instead.
    That is delightfully evil. :D
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0