Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar

YouTube streaming idiocy

I have a slow internet connection, living on a Native American reservation. Watching video on YouTube my connection can't keep up. The best thing would be to hit play, hit pause, and let the video fill in. Then watch once most had been downloaded/cached. Unfortunately YouTube seems to intentionally stop video downloading if you're not actually watching. If you hit pause it goes for a little bit then makes nearly no progress.

Is there any way to force YouTube to actively download a movie that is paused? Or any trick around this that doesn't involve me using some 3rd party utility to download entire YouTube videos?

Network Hub
    I don't think there's any way to get around it unfortunately. It's obviously intended to prevent uncessesary use of bandwidth, but it's rather annoying when you have a slow or unreliable connection.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    HELLO I HAVE A SOLUTION
    You use chrome right? Course you do, all sane people use chrome, good.
    There is a chrome plugin called "YouTube Downloader: MP3 / HD Video" actually, i think its name is longer cos it ends "..."
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...hrome-ntp-icon
    You can literally just download the video as mp4 or something straight off youtube.

Yes you didnt want to download them, but they are actually very small and its the format the youtube video exists in anyway.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Hit play, hit mute, go do something else for 10 minutes?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    HELLO I HAVE A SOLUTION
    You use chrome right? Course you do, all sane people use chrome, good.
    There is a chrome plugin called "YouTube Downloader: MP3 / HD Video" actually, i think its name is longer cos it ends "..."
    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...hrome-ntp-icon
    You can literally just download the video as mp4 or something straight off youtube.

Yes you didnt want to download them, but they are actually very small and its the format the youtube video exists in anyway.
    Or if you're actually sane, do not enjoy Google "borrowing" all your data and do not like the multi-process bloated annoyance that is Chrome/Chromium, for Firefox there is "Video DownloadHelper".

Network Hub
    OP, why do you even need Youtube? Your username and avatar are so hilarious I could just watch that all day long! I used to do that stuff on my Speak and Spell back in the day too.

Quote Originally Posted by icupnimpn2 View Post
    Is there any way to force YouTube to actively download a movie that is paused? Or any trick around this that doesn't involve me using some 3rd party utility to download entire YouTube videos?
    It should go and load the whole thing if you manually set the quality away from 'auto', it's the little gear icon.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/114002
    This Greasemonkey script has an option so select the default quality you want, and also if you want to auto-play the video. I use it and it's awesome. It's regularly updated, for when YouTube decides to change things.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djbriandamage View Post
    OP, why do you even need Youtube? Your username and avatar are so hilarious I could just watch that all day long! I used to do that stuff on my Speak and Spell back in the day too.
    It's always nice when you find out someone else has shared one of your life's little joys.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringwraith View Post
    It should go and load the whole thing if you manually set the quality away from 'auto', it's the little gear icon.
    I've messed with that before to try to prevent losing all of my buffered video when going full screen, but did not know it would also let the whole video load. Will have to give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny252 View Post
    Hit play, hit mute, go do something else for 10 minutes?
    As things are, my headphones have just broken, so I don't even have to hit mute! Thanks for the ProTip

Much love to all respondents

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djbriandamage View Post
    It's always nice when you find out someone else has shared one of your life's little joys.
    Whaaaat. You've been on this forum for ages and I've only just realised the connection between your name and avatar. Mind is partially blown.

Something else I've missed out on? My childhood is destroyed!
    'Your sacrifice completes my sanctuary of a thousand testicles'
    My Steam profile