Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

Finally, a decent space combat game. WITH GIANT ROBOTS

Strike Suit Zero has been on my radar for some time. The devs have been pretty quiet but finally they've showed some of the game and it looks mighty impressive.

The combat looks fresh. The range between the ships looks good. Everything is nice and blue.

AND YOUR SPACESHIP TURNS INTO A ROBOT.

Looks good. It's been a while since I last played a space combat game. Too bad I don't have joystick but maybe gamepad works good enough.

Banned
    Back in the day I played Freespace 1 & 2 on keyboard.

It's do-able.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Well, that looks like something I would very much enjoy.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Wow, that looks fantastic... Definitely looking forward to this one.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    Back in the day I played Freespace 1 & 2 on keyboard.

It's do-able.
    Nah, freespace 1 and 2 were a lot easier to play with kb + mouse for some reason. It controlled a little differently from other space sims at the time and the accuracy with the mouse was invaluable.

That aside, this looks promising. Glad you brought it to my attention swayze. May you have countless dirty dances as my thanks.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    AND YOUR SPACESHIP TURNS INTO A ROBOT.
    You do realize that is not a good thing, right?

Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    Nah, freespace 1 and 2 were a lot easier to play with kb + mouse for some reason. It controlled a little differently from other space sims at the time and the accuracy with the mouse was invaluable.
    I played both (and still play, actually) with just a keyboard. Prefer the numpad over the mouse for flying, for some reason.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    You just took an express elevator to a whole new level of wrong

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    <----- There is the door.

Banned
    Fighters in space is already an extremely stupid idea.

We don't need another layer of stupidity added on top of that by making them turn into robots for no reason at all.

Banned
    We're getting trolled right? RIGHT?

Have to be.

Network Hub
    There is no friction in space. This makes movement of space ships fundamentally different than terrestrial jets. There's no maximum speed (other than c) in space, if you have engines on you gain velocity at a constant rate forever, if you turn off your engines you will drift with the same velocity forever, if you reach speed S in time T then it will take 2T to reach the same speed in the opposite direction. In this game the ships seems to handle like jets, with a maximum velocity, afterburners (wtf), and always travelling in the same direction you're pointing (not even always true for jets).

IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO MODEL THESE SUPER BASIC ELEMENTS OF SPACE SHIP MOVEMENT THEN WHY SET IT IN SPACE???

For games that did it properly look at Elite 2, I-War and Terminus.

Quote Originally Posted by caljohnston View Post
    There is no friction in space. This makes movement of space ships fundamentally different than terrestrial jets. There's no maximum speed (other than c) in space, if you have engines on you gain velocity at a constant rate forever, if you turn off your engines you will drift with the same velocity forever, if you reach speed S in time T then it will take 2T to reach the same speed in the opposite direction. In this game the ships seems to handle like jets, with a maximum velocity, afterburners (wtf), and always travelling in the same direction you're pointing (not even always true for jets).

IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO MODEL THESE SUPER BASIC ELEMENTS OF SPACE SHIP MOVEMENT THEN WHY SET IT IN SPACE???

For games that did it properly look at Elite 2, I-War and Terminus.
    Welcome to video games where realism is scrapped for the sake of game play. This game isn't a sim, it's an action game.

Some of the best space games of all time did not follow true space physics (TIE Fighter, Freelancer, etc, etc, etc).

It's just a game breh.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Honestly, mouse/keyboard is preferable for a lot of games. But that doesn't make it more fun.

Take Mechwarrior for example. It is hard to deny that the games are perfectly set up for mouse and keyboard (and, if you are a sniper, better with a mouse). Using a joystick involves lots of sharp jerking motions that tear your wrists apart. But a joystick is a hell of a lot more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Honestly, mouse/keyboard is preferable for a lot of games. But that doesn't make it more fun.

Take Mechwarrior for example. It is hard to deny that the games are perfectly set up for mouse and keyboard (and, if you are a sniper, better with a mouse). Using a joystick involves lots of sharp jerking motions that tear your wrists apart. But a joystick is a hell of a lot more fun.
    For the sole purpose of aiming your crosshair a mouse is more accurate for sure, but for everything else it really sucks in a Mechwarriror game. Controlling the movement and systems of your mech was so much easier with a joystick, esepcially if it had a rudder.

The same is true in BF games. It's much easier to land chaingun hits in a jet with a mouse, but for actual flying a joystick or even gamepad are WAY better.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post

I hate flying with a mouse in anything.

My joystick had to go away to be fixed around the time BF3 came out and I flew entirely with the keyboard, and out manoeuvred every fucker in the air anyway.

Mouse always feels horrible in mechwarrior games too and so it should to be honest.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Fighters in space is already an extremely stupid idea.

We don't need another layer of stupidity added on top of that by making them turn into robots for no reason at all.
    What do you have against fun? Did fun drunkenly beat your mother while you watched? Did it?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Banned
    I can't have fun with something that actively offends my intelligence. Suspension of disbelief is a no man's land between realism and nonsense, not a nation of its own.