Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 118
  1. #41
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Oh ho, do tell me about "real anime" then. Hint: If it includes Akira, don't bother, because then you don't even know what "anime" means.
    I'm not going to even bother with someone as ignorant as you. There are literally thousands of great anime and manga out there, I'm not going to compile a list for someone who isn't even interested and thinks anime is for 12 year olds.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    SMB puts you in the shoes of a Brooklyn plumber who clobbers giant mushrooms and turtles, spews fireballs, rides dinosaurs and occasionally flies with the help of a tanuki suit (and a tanuki is an animal that does not fly) to find a princess in a castle.

    How do you explain that? Long acid trip?
    I've had stranger trips.

  2. #42
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I'm not going to even bother with someone as ignorant as you. There are literally thousands of great anime and manga out there, I'm not going to compile a list for someone who isn't even interested and thinks anime is for 12 year olds.
    He's playing a childish game with you now. It's called the "no" game. Whatever example you might give, he'll just fold his arms and say "no!"

    It's cute, in a way.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  3. #43
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    He's playing a childish game with you now. It's called the "no" game. Whatever example you might give, he'll just fold his arms and say "no!"

    It's cute, in a way.
    Pretty much.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    He's playing a childish game with you now. It's called the "no" game. Whatever example you might give, he'll just fold his arms and say "no!"
    I see the irony of making that post just after Hypernetic folded his arms and said "no!" himself is lost on you.

    Shame, it's been one of the best I've seen.

  5. #45
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    1,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    And yet you play BF3 and League of Legends apparently. The first is far from faithful to true physics and is also far from realistic, the second doesn't even make sense from a realism stand point. Why can you look past the Newotnian betrayals in those games but not in this one? Double standard much?
    BF3 and LoL are distractions, games I'm not interested in the universe they're set in so much as the mechanics I can use to have a good time with friends. Hard science fiction is a passion, so games set in space need to be above a certain barrier of apparent realism for me to even consider them. Yes, it's a double standard. Insofar as it's two separate standards. Is that so bad?
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Katta, FFXIV, Cerberus

  6. #46
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,256
    Well all I have to add to this is this is a game and not a sim. I play and enjoy Burnout Paradise, I also play and enjoy rFactor... I don't see what the difficulty is in looking at a game/sim, seeing that it's a game/sim and accepting it for what it is rather than wishing it was the other.

    Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing how this shapes up but I, like others, hope the transforming ability isn't entirely limited to just being able to move in more directions. I was always disappointed by the Gundam games I've played (can't remember any of their names) because they were just shoddily made, and I dearly miss ZOE, so if this features some proper Japanese robot porn (as Hypernetic put it) then I'll be very happy, especially as there would be nothing stopping them putting boosters on all sides of the ship form to allow it to move in any direction. I'd also quite like to see some (fast) land-based gameplay which is a cross between Omega Boost, Mechwarrior, the later (i.e. faster) Armoured Cores and ZOE where you can still transform but the humanoid form is the norm rather than the other way around.

  7. #47
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    I see the irony of making that post just after Hypernetic folded his arms and said "no!" himself is lost on you.
    Let's take a moment and review this thread together, shall we?

    You: THIS GAME IS UNREALISTIC AND ALL OF YOU SUCK FOR LIKING IT
    Pat: Troll?
    Hyper: Gotta be a troll.
    You: NUH UH I PREFER ALL FANTASY TO BE SOBER AND REALISTIC
    Gwath: lolwut
    Col: Dude. Robots.
    Hyper: What Col said.
    Neema: I like robots.
    Tei: Just close your eyes and enjoy it.
    You: THEN YOU ALL SUCK. ESPECIALLY HYPER FOR LIKING ANIME.
    Pat: wait, what?
    Hyper: wtf
    Tei: take a chill pill
    You: OH YEAH? SHOW ME.
    Hyper: Not until you stop your tantrum.
    Me: lulz
    You: SEE? PROVES ME RIGHT.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  8. #48
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,256
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Neema: I like robots.
    Well you've certainly caught me red-handed.

  9. #49
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    197
    Looks good. Not so sure about the transforming part though. Who needs robots in space, when you have ships? I mean, unless you need to flash your genitals at someone passing by, ships are much better than robots.

  10. #50
    Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Estados Unidos
    Posts
    656
    What if the ability to transform into robots is required to fight underground-dwelling dinosaurs, a task not suited to space vessels? Seems pretty realistic to me.

  11. #51
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    India
    Posts
    197
    Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    What if the ability to transform into robots is required to fight underground-dwelling dinosaurs, a task not suited to space vessels? Seems pretty realistic to me.

    I still stand by my argument. The ships will win.

  12. #52
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    3,717
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    You do realize that argument is completely pointless and you can use it to excuse anything in any setting at any time?

    Like, say, gummie bears in Fallout. According to your argument that's totally fine. Because, well, "This is a fictional world in which there are jumping cartoon bears in a post-apocalyptic setting. Enough said."

    Really?

    Really?
    Er ... actually yes. If it fails to work, it isn't failing because it's unrealistic but because it is out of keeping with the rest of the fictional world, or unfamiliar without gaining anything from that unfamiliarity. There's nothing inherently wrong with jumping gummy bears in a post apocalyptic world.

    You're being rather close-minded about this. Yes it can excuse anything in any setting so long as that thing is done well within it's intended context. You dislike the intended context so this isn't for you. Jesus, it's fiction. Of course it could be about anything! That's the point of imagination. We can do whatever we want with it. Fiction is about things that didn't happen.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

    You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

  13. #53
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,033
    Waking this up as it's out next week and looks VERY VERY pretty

    http://store.steampowered.com/video/209540/2028317

    RPS quote in the trailer but don't remember the article *heads off to search for it*

  14. #54
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Fighters in space is already an extremely stupid idea.

    We don't need another layer of stupidity added on top of that by making them turn into robots for no reason at all.
    Do you even know what games are?

  15. #55
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,331
    Yeah, it actually does look really fun. Anyone know if there have been any previews on the gameplay though?
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

  16. #56
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,033
    http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/12/0...and-annihilate

    http://www.destructoid.com/preview-s...o-240457.phtml

    Sounds interesting - very actiony with some strategy - I'm getting a feeling this is Dynasty Warriors in space (and I mean that in a nice/overall way not in a 'it's a tedious fucking slog milked to death and back' way) :)

  17. #57
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post
    Do you even know what games are?
    It's bad form to yell at him for something he said six months ago.

    ...especially when there's so much stuff to yell at him for now​.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  18. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Oh ho, do tell me about "real anime" then.
    Well, I won't use the phrase "real anime", I'll just tell you good series worth keeping in your collective culture library.

    First rule of good anime is that it ends. Trash/Fluff/Mass market anime drags on for hundreds of episodes. DBZ/Bleach/Gundam tends to fall into this realm. After that there are animes that would have been damn good if they didn't overstay their welcome, like Neon Genesis or Full Metal Alchemist which for some reason can't bring themselves to just end.

    Robotech, go watch it, it's free online at YouTube. Get yourself the box set of Cowboy Bebop. Look at Avatar: The Last Airbender to see if fits your style of pacing. You also can't go wrong with a Hayao Miyazaki movie.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    What if the ability to transform into robots is required to fight underground-dwelling dinosaurs, a task not suited to space vessels? Seems pretty realistic to me.
    I would subscribe to this thought if the utilization was there. I do have a hard time rationalizing the Go-Bot mechanism in a setting that tries to be functional. If it's all out silly, then it's fine and I can get into it. Suppose Go-Bots have to fall somewhere into shock utility fighters, like an expeditionary force. They can fill the roles of fighters, tanks, and infantry. But then mission design tends to shoehorn quick "OH YOU GOTTA BE A ROBOT TO DO THIS PART!" sections, which are off-putting. Plus Go-Bots are elevated to that ultimate superior machine no matter what situation they're in, which I'd argue against in that a dedicated fighter could out perform a utility fighter, which would shockingly bring the challenge of using your multi-role tricks to stay alive to the game, rather than pure number suffocation scrums.

    However, I will support the idea that transforming space fighter space robots in space is fucking awesome, none-the-less.

  20. #60
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    It's bad form to yell at him for something he said six months ago.

    ...especially when there's so much stuff to yell at him for now​.

    Ah, forgive me. I didn't check the dates on this one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •