Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Erm, yeah, neither did I. Well don't I look like an ass.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Robotech: Battlecry is a great game and did transformations right.

There are so many Japan only releases of Mecha games we never get that have done mecha and space right.

Banned
    I was in the beta for this and it was really good! Looking forward to a weekend of spaceu shootan and robotan :D

Then after the campaign, looking forward to creating some monstrosities with the included mod tools, then importing the Homeworld ships as they appear!

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Somewhere between gently making fun of Strike Suit Zero and half-yearning for robot-dinosaur fights or their equivalent, I got the urge to back this. I think I was most impressed by Born Ready's quiet English respect for games and anime stuffs I've liked over the years (which contrasted with the over-the-top nature of the game) . Pardon me if that's not a real thing. If nothing else, the Paul Ruskay score should be good.

Quote Originally Posted by RakeShark View Post
    Erm, yeah, neither did I. Well don't I look like an ass.
    Not at all. The game is going to be released in five days, so we should all be thinking about it again, turning over the absurdity of transforming space ships in our minds, Rosebudding back on the toys of our youth, and maybe saying, "Why the fuck not."

Banned
    Robotech Battlecry for the GameCube was pretty cool. On the other hand I have some other post apoc robot fighting game that is just silly. Ooh its called Custom Robo, yay google. I mean I beat it and all but dude its so silly.

RB on the other hand had 3 forms and they had purposes and it was all in the atmosphere anyways so the physics made sense.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MoLAoS View Post
    Robotech Battlecry for the GameCube was pretty cool. On the other hand I have some other post apoc robot fighting game that is just silly. Ooh its called Custom Robo, yay google. I mean I beat it and all but dude its so silly.

RB on the other hand had 3 forms and they had purposes and it was all in the atmosphere anyways so the physics made sense.
    I really like the idea of custom robo. Alpha showed a lot of promise. Did it get green lit?

This could help fill the hole left in me by Zone of the Enders never getting a third game.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    I can't have fun with something that actively offends my intelligence. Suspension of disbelief is a no man's land between realism and nonsense, not a nation of its own.
    I`m wondering what effect Star Trek Voyager would have on your psyche. Jokes aside, I`m glad I`m not the only one who is sick to death of space fighters and starships fighting at ranges that would make Horatio Hornblower puke. Add to that transforming mecha and we get a cocktail of stupid.

*sigh* I miss the days when space sims didn`t ditch the sim part entirely.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I have always wanted to pilot a ship that wen I press the "rockets fire" button launch 2000 lock-in missiles, like in anime movies. Even if this is not in this game, I hope theres something similar. If theres nothing awesome added to the idea of flyiing a mech fighter in space. I am out. Like many people, I am tired of the "WW1 in space" combat.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tei View Post
    I have always wanted to pilot a ship that wen I press the "rockets fire" button launch 2000 lock-in missiles, like in anime movies. Even if this is not in this game, I hope theres something similar. If theres nothing awesome added to the idea of flyiing a mech fighter in space. I am out. Like many people, I am tired of the "WW1 in space" combat.
    You can indeed fire tons of rockets twirly rockets.

Banned
    You can also turn into a mech fighter and dash around capital ships disarming them as you go, or you can transform while in the midst of a swarm of enemy fighters spinning on the spot and letting your guns rip

Banned
    Oh hey, it's this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    or you can transform while in the midst of a swarm of enemy fighters spinning on the spot and letting your guns rip
    Like in that old sci fi movie?

Network Hub
    Hey so orange and teal!

Please tell me this is fun and I wont regret buying it.

Well, Strike Suit Zero. Starting with the end of mission 3, it's hard. Really hard. I'll give it that. Whether that's because I suck, or because of my lack of instincts for arcadey games beyond the SNES era, or because the difficulty is intentional and the design is good, or vice versa, I have no idea.

Based on all the unlocks, I get the impression that the dev expects you to replay missions to get higher scores and ship upgrades. I'm not sure I'd want to, but I'm only at mission 4, so I can't say for sure. I died many times at the end of mission 3, at first because I didn't realize that I didn't have to wait for my flux meter (lets you transform) to fully charge to go into robit mode, and then because, well, total mayhem, often so much that I could barely tell what was going on.

The two modes change the game from a recognizable distillation of prominent and loved space sims with a pretty decent ship/flight feel, like a slightly more lumbering Freelancer (where I play well), to something that's more akin to games like Sin and Punishment--frenetic and twitchy. The change doesn't happen immediately when you transform, as you have to be thinking about where you want to plant your robit ship before unloading on enemies, and how to get out of it when you've exhausted your flux supply or run out of nearby targets. In that way, I think they've successfully managed to weave Western and Japanese mechanics into a One Thing. I'm just not very good at the second part.

It mostly looks pretty, like being a single vessel in a more--perhaps overly--colorful Homeworld. It runs damn near perfectly at 1680x1050/high settings on my 4-year-old machine. The music is generally quite good, with stuff that is obviously Paul Ruskay, other stuff that sounds heavily influenced by FTL's soundtrack, and--so far--one pretty annoying anime-type song with a repeating vocal line.

Anyway, I have no desire to play again tonight, so I figured I'd dump what I think so far here. Not sure if I'll come to enjoy this more or not.

Edit: two things I forgot. One, after completing mission 3 for the first time, the game crashed while loading, so I had to replay it. Two, there's a FOV setting but it doesn't seem to function. FOV is set to 45, which I would very much like to change to something else.
    Last edited by internetonsetadd; 24-01-2013 at 06:06 AM.

Ouch, Eurogamer effing hates it: 3/10. There is something about the end of the third mission that just feels like bad design. In a Valve game, you would have gotten the strike suit and been clearly shown how it could make you more powerful, and you would have felt powerful. And then the game would have kicked your ass.

Part of what was so frustrating about the mission is that that's exactly what I thought the point was, and then I died ten times in a row. The game doesn't help you figure out what to do. You get about ten seconds of practice shooting at wreckage (which is crucial for generating flux--which you don't get to keep if you reload the checkpoint) before you have to go stop a barrage of torpedoes--two groups of four, one after another--and use the flux you get from that to start working on the larger ships. It's hard. I passed the level twice, and barely each time (and only because I lasted until an event, not because I played well). I could take out some of the frigates, but at the cost of losing most of my armor incredibly rapidly.

I didn't move on to the next level feeling confident in my abilities, or the capability of the strike suit. I dreaded using it, and rightly so, because the next level kicked my ass all over again, and I always took, by far, the most damage in mech form. Changing the FOV might help; although you can toggle FP view for ship mode, suit mode is TP, and the suit takes up a hell of a lot of the screen real estate. Unlike the rest of the weapons I've seen in the game, the suit's main gun makes a lot of noise and little white impact things, but doesn't seem to have visible projectiles. It's tough to know what you're shooting at. It's even harder to know what's shooting at you.

I'm not sure whether we're sitting on a really great mechanic that just takes time to learn, or something that simply doesn't work. Whatever the case, it's a little disappointing to find that the mindlessly fun transforming space ship game isn't.

The fourth mission gets into some capital ship-on-capital ship action that takes me back to the glory days of Freespace 2. It's exhilarating to be flying around in, but the fun dies down as soon as I pit the suit against anything larger than a corvette.

Edit: well, I beat mission 4 eventually. I had to restart at the final checkpoint five times to do it, which I did mainly because of how little I wanted to replay the whole mission. On the final try I didn't even suck too horribly. I actually managed to earn some upgrades. Maybe I'm getting the hang of this.

Edit2: Born Ready is still getting absolutely hammered by backers who feel mistreated because they wound up paying more for the game than people buying now during release sales. For anyone thinking of launching a project on Kickstarter, seriously, don't do this.
    Last edited by internetonsetadd; 24-01-2013 at 11:20 AM.

Oh, he really hates it.

Network Hub
    I got very close to backing this. This must be a very minor version of what it feels like to have missed a plane that just crashed.

Interesting reminder that even a Kickstarter that succeeds can fail.
    Last edited by Surlywombat; 24-01-2013 at 05:07 PM.

My need for another Zone of the Enders is still not fulfilled apparently.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Network Hub
    So, that's both The Cave and Strike Suit out and reviewed, both Famous From Kickstarter™, both coming up short. What's next? Planetary Assault? I hope not, because that's a game Im actually looking forward to. Notice how PA is not involved with either a media-crazyy developer nor anime. It cannot be anything but amazing.

The Cave never had any kickstarter that I'm aware of.