Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 101 to 118 of 118
  1. #101
    Lesser Hivemind Node Shooop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    'Merica
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    PC Gamers that don't seem to like Dark Souls are particularly venomous or just ignorant and go in expecting typical hack and slash and come out spewing some shit about artificial difficulty.

    With Strike Suit Zero there has only really been one tough bit with the check pointing (start of mission 5, you get raped near the end of the first objective if you don't handle fighters between each platform) but I discovered that as I got better with the strike suit it just wasn't an issue any more.

    PC gamers in general seem to hate check points anyway but F5-ing your way through a game is just cheating if you ask me. Guess having started on NES and SNES before I got to PC gaming nearly two decades ago taught me something about perseverance and skill.
    Oh you so hardcore. Would you like a banana sticker?
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

  2. #102
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    I don't think Dark Souls would have done any where near as good if on PC at launch.

    PC Gamers that don't seem to like Dark Souls are particularly venomous or just ignorant and go in expecting typical hack and slash and come out spewing some shit about artificial difficulty.

    With Strike Suit Zero there has only really been one tough bit with the check pointing (start of mission 5, you get raped near the end of the first objective if you don't handle fighters between each platform) but I discovered that as I got better with the strike suit it just wasn't an issue any more.

    PC gamers in general seem to hate check points anyway but F5-ing your way through a game is just cheating if you ask me. Guess having started on NES and SNES before I got to PC gaming nearly two decades ago taught me something about perseverance and skill.
    I'm sorry, you were saying something about ignorance?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  3. #103
    So I've decided to see what the hub-bub's about. Initial impressions:

    1: The UI's too spread out. I don't know if it's that I've been spoiled by Freespace 2, but the power bars aren't easily seen at a quick glance. Funny since they're pretty prominent on the top of the screen, but I spend my time following the reticle and target triangles. The sepia/desaturation of the screen doesn't do much either to tell me I'm almost dead.

    2: They don't really describe what these "upgrades" do at all. Yay, power upgrade! Erm... how's it an upgrade? Numbers? Comparison bars? Nothing.

    3: I'll admit the difficulty curve kinda kicks you in the teeth quickly. Though I'm kinda tempered by my Freelancer experience, it took awhile to get the hang of mouse combat. As well as the mode switching. Once I rebound my keys to a mostly mouse-centric layout, I started to better plow through baddies.

    4: As much as the objective bars try to tell you what you need to do, at times the targeting/voice overs don't really clue you into the immediate threat to the objective. Protect the bombers, gotcha, but do I shoot down endless waves of fighters as they torp-bomb the cruiser, or do I rofl-stomp the cruiser alone before the bombers dies? It's frustrating at certain moments.

    Despite these things, I'm finding myself drawn into the game pretty deep. I don't know if that's rising to the challenge or genuine interest in the story/gameplay (which I'll add, the story pretty good compared to more recent sci-fi space shooty games, not Shakespeare but also not Dan Brown). It's... not bad.

  4. #104
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The land of slain white knights
    Posts
    850
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I'm sorry, you were saying something about ignorance?
    Speak of the devil...

  5. #105
    Lesser Hivemind Node Shooop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    'Merica
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    Speak of the devil...
    You've been here for some time haven't you Pat? I mean, you weren't astral projecting or something were you?
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

  6. #106
    Lesser Hivemind Node johnki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    Edit: While getting there isn't too bad, the end of mission 5 is brutal.
    I thought you were kidding.

    But no, you have to nail the fighters pretty hard, making sure to use just enough missiles to take them down while subsequently getting enough Flux back from them to do it again.

    The REAL tough part comes in when you get down in bomber numbers and they're barely doing any damage to the cruiser. You could easily hit the cruiser with a few runs of missiles from Strike mode, but you have to keep the bombers alive. :/

    I ended up taking a break.

    Though to be fair, I was cursing at mission 4 a bit the first time since you have to be really speedy to take out the beam turrets and still leave the Arcadia with some integrity left. The first time I did it, the Arcadia just barely survived and I was swearing a bit at the fact that the mission still had a bit left. Needless to say, the Arcadia went down almost instantly during the next segment.

    The sad part, though, is that it would have been a piece of cake outside of the nebula, where you could have just used missiles.

  7. #107
    Lesser Hivemind Node Shooop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    'Merica
    Posts
    912
    That's part of the game's biggest problem I gather from the reviews johnki - the friendly AI of the things you're supposed to escort are too stupid to live.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

  8. #108
    Lesser Hivemind Node johnki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    That's part of the game's biggest problem I gather from the reviews johnki - the friendly AI of the things you're supposed to escort are too stupid to live.
    Well, from what I gather, the bombers don't have any sort of self-defense. They bomb things and if they get chased down by interceptors, they're screwed without help. Not so much that they're stupid so much as a bit of a health buff would have made it more manageable though I suppose that's why there isn't a health buff.

    I can't really speak of the rest of them. The Arcadia is a capital ship so it doesn't move most of the time. The friendly fighters usually start dying off the moment they and the enemy fighters get entwined though there are also usually a few left, the only time I haven't seen at least 3 of them at any one time being the time I took the freighters down in Mission 3 which I can only assume was due to the fact that I took so long in taking them down. I think the only reason there WAS one left was because it was the chick who is in charge of your group.

  9. #109
    Activated Node JiminyJickers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    ...
    PC gamers in general seem to hate check points anyway but F5-ing your way through a game is just cheating if you ask me. Guess having started on NES and SNES before I got to PC gaming nearly two decades ago taught me something about perseverance and skill.
    I started on the ZX Spectrum, the games I had didn't have any form of saving at all. I completely hate checkpoints and I want to be able to save whenever I please.

  10. #110
    Lesser Hivemind Node Shooop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    'Merica
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by johnki View Post
    Well, from what I gather, the bombers don't have any sort of self-defense. They bomb things and if they get chased down by interceptors, they're screwed without help. Not so much that they're stupid so much as a bit of a health buff would have made it more manageable though I suppose that's why there isn't a health buff.

    I can't really speak of the rest of them. The Arcadia is a capital ship so it doesn't move most of the time. The friendly fighters usually start dying off the moment they and the enemy fighters get entwined though there are also usually a few left, the only time I haven't seen at least 3 of them at any one time being the time I took the freighters down in Mission 3 which I can only assume was due to the fact that I took so long in taking them down. I think the only reason there WAS one left was because it was the chick who is in charge of your group.
    My deeply rooted cynicism is screaming "Cop-out for AI programming!", but I get some of that.

    Still, bombers did have to practice a bit of evasive maneuvering - and they usually had a whole squadron of very mobile aircraft escorting them.

    I'm not at all against a challenge. But when it seems more like the game is designed to spite you instead of challenge you that's where I have draw the line for myself for the sake of my blood pressure.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

  11. #111
    Lesser Hivemind Node johnki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    I'm not at all against a challenge. But when it seems more like the game is designed to spite you instead of challenge you that's where I have draw the line for myself for the sake of my blood pressure.
    I honestly cannot speak for the actual maneuvers done by the AI. I haven't paid attention except for with the enemy ship AI (I have to chase them after all) and several times, they've thrown me for a loop and would have easily escaped me if it weren't for the targeting system.

    However, as a player of those games I mentioned earlier (did I mention them here? If not, basically Star Fox and the N64 Star Wars space flight games), I don't really feel that the game has ever so much spited me as demanded that I do things on its time, which is frustrating in its own way.

    When it comes down to it, though, you figure out how to do it in time and you do it. Just takes a bit of refining your strategy.

    I do have mixed feelings about knowing that the capital ships are almost always stationary, though.

  12. #112
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The land of slain white knights
    Posts
    850
    Quote Originally Posted by johnki View Post
    I honestly cannot speak for the actual maneuvers done by the AI. I haven't paid attention except for with the enemy ship AI (I have to chase them after all) and several times, they've thrown me for a loop and would have easily escaped me if it weren't for the targeting system.

    However, as a player of those games I mentioned earlier (did I mention them here? If not, basically Star Fox and the N64 Star Wars space flight games), I don't really feel that the game has ever so much spited me as demanded that I do things on its time, which is frustrating in its own way.

    When it comes down to it, though, you figure out how to do it in time and you do it. Just takes a bit of refining your strategy.

    I do have mixed feelings about knowing that the capital ships are almost always stationary, though.
    Later in the game the capital ships move. A lot.

    And yeah its a shame the AI aren't as useful as the Freespace guys and gals that kept your wing.

  13. #113
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,876
    Quote Originally Posted by JiminyJickers View Post
    I started on the ZX Spectrum, the games I had didn't have any form of saving at all. I completely hate checkpoints and I want to be able to save whenever I please.
    I don't buy the 'it's cheating to save often' thing but I do know that allowing people to save anywhere, anytime is a MASSIVE undertaking with some games.

    That said, checkpoints are often used as a lazy way to stretch a game out - I've not played SS0 so I've no idea whether it falls into that trap but asking to save ANYWHERE is often a tricky thing to deliver...

  14. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The land of slain white knights
    Posts
    850
    Well I finished it this evening and by gosh it was fun.

    The difficulty ramps up quite sufficiently in later missions (kill count was reaching triple figures) and honestly I needed a lie down afterwards.

    What has struck me most out of the game was the quite muted story which turned out to be quite interesting.

    I don't think I got the best ending ultimately so I will be heading back to hit some missions for a few upgrades I missed.

  15. #115
    I'm at mission 12 right now. That fucking Atlas.

  16. #116
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The land of slain white knights
    Posts
    850
    Quote Originally Posted by RakeShark View Post
    I'm at mission 12 right now. That fucking Atlas.
    I had no trouble with the Atlas but golly gosh I tried hard to save the other ones and FAILED HARD.

    I'm going to do a replay and try saving the other ships now I have a few more upgrades and I'm capable of playing the game better.

  17. #117
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    1,645
    Well, that game failed to grab my attention in first couple of missions. Maybe I stopped a bit to early, before robots. Good thing it was cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

  18. #118
    Finished the game last night, all platinum medals and all unlocks.

    Honestly, it's a fun little game. A little bit of twitch and a little bit of tactical thinking. The story is a decent space opera, very serviceable considering the recent peers like SOL: Exodus. The gundam suit thing tends to be very useful, but the space fighters you can fly are also functional and don't feel like an afterthought. It's not a sim, of course. It's closer to a combat-focused Freelancer game.

    If you get bored this spring/summer during the game drought, I'd suggest taking it out for a spin, full price or sale.

    [spolier]I will say the one thing that kinda irked me in the story was in the last mission, where the AI lays out the exposition, citing she chose you because "you know when not to follow orders". This references the little computer record snippet before the first mission starts. The thing is, in the game, I didn't disobey any orders, I did exactly what the game/commanders told me to do, and everything turned out fine. Now, had I played a mission where I was told to do one thing, but I made a choice to do something else, I could empathize with that statement more. But as it stands, the ending hinged on that "because you're different, you'll make the good choice". No lady, I just blow up Colonials and chew bubblegum.[/spolier]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •