Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Banned
    Strike Suit Zero hasn't come up short!

Everyone of my friends is enjoying playing it, as am I.

All I can think of is that the dev team couldn't afford many good reviews, and fuck knows what was up with Eurogamer. But hey, that reviewer [of SSZ] liked the new Devil May Cry so whatever.

And speaking the PA kickstarter...

Banned

RPS did a review. Try reading it sometime.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Yeah, honestly, I enjoy SS0 from what little I have played. It has potential. Most of hte reviews I have read boil down to:

The mechs aren't mechs (they aren't, they are gun platforms)
    Things are repetitive as hell (that is to be expected, really)
    It is unbalanced as hell (well, it is an indie game :p)

The moment my joystick starts working correctly I'll go back, but I have had fun thus far.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    RPS did a review. Try reading it sometime.
    Games come out. Play them and make your own opinions sometime.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Yeah, honestly, I enjoy SS0 from what little I have played. It has potential. Most of hte reviews I have read boil down to:

The mechs aren't mechs (they aren't, they are gun platforms)
    Things are repetitive as hell (that is to be expected, really)
    It is unbalanced as hell (well, it is an indie game :p)

The moment my joystick starts working correctly I'll go back, but I have had fun thus far.
    I'm gonna go down and say its NOT unbalanced, people just need to learn how to handle the gunship.

They need to see other fighters simply as power ups for the Strike Suit, and everything else as primary targets.

It clicks after a while.

The none strike suit missions are a lot easier too.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    Games come out. Play them and make your own opinions sometime.
    I do, and I'd be more inclined to take you seriously if you hadn't have given us this gem beforehand:

All I can think of is that the dev team couldn't afford many good reviews, and fuck knows what was up with Eurogamer.
    There is a reason I said RPS did a review. They're one of the few sites that don't actually take brib-IMEAN accept publisher's early review code.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    I'm gonna go down and say its NOT unbalanced, people just need to learn how to handle the gunship.
    I feel an impression coalescing within me is that this is probably the case. The game simply fails to lead the player through the practice necessary to know how to efficiently mix both modes, so practice comes from repeatedly failing, which is a frustrating, old-fashioned way of doing things. Console gamers may be more receptive to this sort of thing. I wonder if Dark Souls would have found love if it had been released on PC first.

I feel bad for Born Ready. This is an indie game that reeks of quality not usually seen in indies. It seems to lack just that last little bit of polish that would have made it far more player-friendly, and probably averted a lot of the ire of some reviewers.

Despite my initial and substantial frustration, I'm still feeling the urge to play. That's something.

So I picked this up today on GOG and I am loving it. It's bringing back the best of games like Star Wars: Rogue Squadron/Starfighter/Battle For Naboo. I originally had thought it would have more of a Star Fox feel, but it's more like the others.

It's a bit difficult but I managed to get through the first 3 missions only having died twice and I only died because I took torpedoes to the face while learning how to use Strike mode. I even managed to take the Freighters down with relative ease. :D

Is there a demo for this at least?

I'd be willing to try it, but I'm definitely not buying unless I know what I'm getting first.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Oddly, the reviews aren't really putting me off this as much as you might expect

What puts me off more is the massively defensive or even offensive stance some people are taking to those reviews - that, to me, says more about the game than the reviews do.

If reviews are poor and people like the game they'll often say "Y'know I can see what they're moaning about but they're also not telling you that there is much fun to be had". Alpha Protocol is a killer example of this, reviews weren't great but the attitude of people who'd played and enjoyed it has brought LOADS of people into buying and playing it anyway.

In this case tho, the response to reviews has been defensive or even outright nasty. People are attacking the reviewers head-on and that, to me, is more offputting because it's the reaction of someone who WANTS to love a thing, doesn't WANT to be told it's shit but can't actually defend it well enough to talk people around.

I'll hold-off for updates/a demo/someone giving me more reason to jump, perhaps.

What puts me off more than anything is the checkpoints.

I suffered horrible checkpoints enough in Max Payne 3 thanks to game-stopping bugs that meant reloading a save sometimes several times in a row to figure out the proper order to shoot enemies. And the checkpoints were so poorly placed it could mean up to 10 minutes of repeating the same gameplay.

I have exactly zero desire to experience something of that nature again.

And the checkpoints were so poorly placed it could mean up to 10 minutes of repeating the same gameplay.
    Yes, and when you forget to save for an hour and then die out of nowhere, it's so much better.

In all seriousness, though, repeating 10 minutes of gameplay is not bad at all. Checkpoints in SSZ are anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes apart from what I've seen in the first few levels, though I'm pretty sure it only saves progress between missions and not during. So if you quit the game, you have to start the mission over. I DO NOT KNOW THIS FOR SURE. Haven't tested. Just seems that way.

But SSZ is awesome.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Ah, figured out that my joystick WAS detected properly. It is just that the ship configuration screen was kind of crap.

Finished mission 3. Pretty fun, but not immediately grabbing me. But I suspect that might be because I am in the mood for something else.

And SS0 is going to have an uphill battle against it. It is a hard game, so many PC gamers will call it "cheap" and say how much it is crappy. It has a piss-poor learning curve, so that won't help either. And it isn't quite a space flight sim and it isn't quite a weapons-platformy game, so that is gonna further divide the possible fanbase.

I like it though.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johnki View Post
    In all seriousness, though, repeating 10 minutes of gameplay is not bad at all. Checkpoints in SSZ are anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes apart from what I've seen in the first few levels, though I'm pretty sure it only saves progress between missions and not during. So if you quit the game, you have to start the mission over. I DO NOT KNOW THIS FOR SURE. Haven't tested. Just seems that way.
    I've tested. Progress isn't saved if you quit. Amidst the comment war on Eurogamer, I happened to see someone from Born Ready mention that they were planning to add a full-fledged save system based on the feedback they've gotten. As much as I hate replaying stuff I've just played, I have to agree that the checkpoints as they are are not too egregious; 5 or 10 minutes is about right.

Edit: While getting there isn't too bad, the end of mission 5 is brutal. With each successive reload, I realize once again that I'm continuing to play out of a desperation not to have to repeat the mission. I damn near wiped out every single turret on a capital ship, twice, and my bomber squadron died anyway. There's not enough feedback to know what I should be doing differently.

There's so much good here, it's hard to admit that I probably just don't like this sort of thing. I guess I tend to prefer games that encourage adaptive play rather than ones let you figure it out by way of trial and dying. By the time I've learned out what to do, I've long since stopped having fun. Which is a shame, because the mission was pretty great up until that point.

Despite growing disgusted with it, I suspect I'll probably try again. This experience is reminding me an awful lot of playing the Nintendo-hard games of my youth. Super Contra made me feel sick inside, but I kept going back for more.
    Last edited by internetonsetadd; 25-01-2013 at 05:54 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    I feel an impression coalescing within me is that this is probably the case. The game simply fails to lead the player through the practice necessary to know how to efficiently mix both modes, so practice comes from repeatedly failing, which is a frustrating, old-fashioned way of doing things. Console gamers may be more receptive to this sort of thing. I wonder if Dark Souls would have found love if it had been released on PC first.

I feel bad for Born Ready. This is an indie game that reeks of quality not usually seen in indies. It seems to lack just that last little bit of polish that would have made it far more player-friendly, and probably averted a lot of the ire of some reviewers.

Despite my initial and substantial frustration, I'm still feeling the urge to play. That's something.
    I don't think Dark Souls would have done any where near as good if on PC at launch.

PC Gamers that don't seem to like Dark Souls are particularly venomous or just ignorant and go in expecting typical hack and slash and come out spewing some shit about artificial difficulty.

With Strike Suit Zero there has only really been one tough bit with the check pointing (start of mission 5, you get raped near the end of the first objective if you don't handle fighters between each platform) but I discovered that as I got better with the strike suit it just wasn't an issue any more.

PC gamers in general seem to hate check points anyway but F5-ing your way through a game is just cheating if you ask me. Guess having started on NES and SNES before I got to PC gaming nearly two decades ago taught me something about perseverance and skill.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Where are you getting this info for all pc gamers who played Dark Souls..Like we are some mindless idiots,jeez menl.

Banned
    I do, and I'd be more inclined to take you seriously if you hadn't have given us this gem beforehand:

There is a reason I said RPS did a review. They're one of the few sites that don't actually take brib-IMEAN accept publisher's early review code.
    I will still play and even buy games without relying on reviews if I like what I see. People can have different opinions to reviewers, however legit they are.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    I've tested. Progress isn't saved if you quit. Amidst the comment war on Eurogamer, I happened to see someone from Born Ready mention that they were planning to add a full-fledged save system based on the feedback they've gotten. As much as I hate replaying stuff I've just played, I have to agree that the checkpoints as they are are not too egregious; 5 or 10 minutes is about right.

Edit: While getting there isn't too bad, the end of mission 5 is brutal. With each successive reload, I realize once again that I'm continuing to play out of a desperation not to have to repeat the mission. I damn near wiped out every single turret on a capital ship, twice, and my bomber squadron died anyway. There's not enough feedback to know what I should be doing differently.

There's so much good here, it's hard to admit that I probably just don't like this sort of thing. I guess I tend to prefer games that encourage adaptive play rather than ones let you figure it out by way of trial and dying. By the time I've learned out what to do, I've long since stopped having fun. Which is a shame, because the mission was pretty great up until that point.

Despite growing disgusted with it, I suspect I'll probably try again. This experience is reminding me an awful lot of playing the Nintendo-hard games of my youth. Super Contra made me feel sick inside, but I kept going back for more.
    You know you played Super Contra 4, on hard, to the end coz you wanted to see that ending :)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    Where are you getting this info for all pc gamers who played Dark Souls..Like we are some mindless idiots,jeez menl.
    Because I've seen videos and visited forums??