Page 1 of 126 1231151101 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar

The Steam 2012 Summer Sale anticipation thread - Because it is Inevitable

Come on, lets admit it, its one of the biggest sociological events in PC Gaming.
    Sure, the summer sale often feels pretty limp compared to the unregulated insanity of the christmas one, but its usually got some epic in it, what sales are you actually waiting on to buy things?

Me?
    Roughly listed in order of high steam base price vs my memory.
    • ARMA II: Combined Operations
    Okay, DayZ has violently dropped the likelihood of this, but still, I can hope.

• Assassin's Creed Revelations - Gold Edition
    Honestly, the RRP is 35, so we'd need an insane discount to get it down to my impulse buy for these incremental titles, but i genuinely enjoyed the games sofar, warts and all.

• Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition
    What I actually want is the DLC but I'm sure they'll go hand in hand, I only grabbed one pack(old world blues) and now I desperately regret it.

• Fable 3
    Don't get me wrong, I know this is probably as bad as they say, but I enjoyed Fable 1 a great deal

• Dawn of War 2: Chaos Rising
    I know I can probably get it cheap in a shop, but I don't go to those places any more, the original campaign sucked my in hopelessly, and Retribution bored me except during the Ork cut scenes, but apparently this is a goody.

• Resident Evil 5
    We are taking pennies here, Resident evil 4 pissed me off something fierce, but youtube videos of 5 look wonderful.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I'd like a sale on X3, simply because I want to try it, but can't justify spending much money on it, if it's as hard to get into as they say and I bounce right off it.

That said, Fable 3 isn't really bad, it just doesn't excel in any way, except the Stephen Fry department.

Lesser Hivemind Node westyfield's Avatar
    DLC for Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Borderlands.
    Arkham City.

That's about it - most of the games I want to play I either already own and just haven't had time to play, or are not available for pre-order yet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    No, Fable 3 truly is as bad as they say. Well, there's potential there but it's never realised. And it's a shit port full of (for me, anyway) graphics issues. I'm not joking when I say putting your money into it is a complete waste of time.

I'll be looking out for:
    Aquaria
    M&M: Clash of Heroes
    Alternativa
    The Bard's Tale
    LEGO Star Wars 3/Batman (Maybe on both counts)
    Kingdoms of Amablergh (Maybe)
    Lord of the Rings: War in the North
    Tom Cuhlancey's Rainbow Six Vegas (Maybe)
    Civ V DLC (Maybe)
    Ticket to Ride
    Any other adventure games.

Besides any DLC for Total War: Shogun 2 [I like to have the 'complete' game] I'm looking for price drops on:

Kingdom's of Amalur : Reckoning [and DLC]

I hope this one doesn't get taken down from Steam [as has been rumoured]; it looks fun, and despite having a range of RPG's I need to finish [Divinty 2 : TDKS and Fallout:NV chiefly] I'd drop them both to begin playing a darker Fable-like.

Batman : Arkham City

I enjoyed Asylum a fair amount; in fact it pulled me out of a phase in which I started a large number of games, played them for an hour and discarded them because they couldn't hold my interest so it clearly did something right. I've heard mixed reports on the sequel and thus am waiting for a decent sale. [Fable 3, which admittedly I was double dipping on was among that aforementioned group].

Binary Domain

Looks incredibly unrefined and derivative. However I hear it's an interesting game that, gimmicks aside, offers a range of strong TPS mechanics and tells a cohesive story. More than enough for me given the weak range of TPS on PC.

Sengoku

Crusador Kings 2 is fantastic; I'd be happy with a less refined, combat focused version that allows for a quicker pace.
    Last edited by DzX; 10-06-2012 at 11:03 PM.

Nothing specific, really. I already own all the games thanks to previous sales.
    New! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Not so new anymore! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Red Orchestra 2 if the player base has truly recovered after the last free weekend. I made a judgement call and didn't buy it then.

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    I'm looking for the following games, and hopefully nothing else!

ARMA2
    Street Fighter IV Arcade
    Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
    Scary Girl
    RUSE
    Rayman Origins
    Vessel
    Blades of Time (?)
    Wargame: EE

Hopefully I can keep my list of actual purchases down this year.

Activated Node
    I'm looking for War in the North and Vessel.

But, since I know I'll probably buy loads of other stuff I'm not looking for, I think I'm going to set aside some money and allow myself to spend up to that amount but not a penny more, and see what I end up with. Hopefully, this will prevent me from buying everything that looks like good value, and I might end up with some games that I hadn't thought to buy but turn out awesome.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alset85 View Post
    Red Orchestra 2 if the player base has truly recovered after the last free weekend. I made a judgement call and didn't buy it then.
    If you want a guest pass to try it out, let me know. (I have 3 if anyone's interested)

Network Hub
    Rayman: Origins.
    New Vegas DLC.
    Stacking.

Not alot really, too much on my Steam account as it is.

On the RO2 front, it's certainly is alot better, pulling 2 to 4 times what is was, don't ever expect huge numbers, RO2 isn't for everyone.
    Last edited by byteCrunch; 10-06-2012 at 11:19 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    I also expect Binary Domain and any LEGO game. And Deus Ex and Assassin's Creed DLC.
    My backlog is so enormous that I don't think I will be spending much money. At least that's what I hope for...
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I saw a couple War in North's mentioned, so I thought I'd point out that it is currently $10 on Gamefly and is Steamworks. North America only, though.

I'm hoping for Max Payne 3 ~$30, and the Game of Thrones RPG to be $25. That's about it, I think.

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    From what I've seen... I'm not sure that I'd recommend anyone to buy anything from Gamefly... just check it out thoroughly before purchasing, that's all I'm saying.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Off the top of my head:

-The Ys games
    -Lone Survivor (cba picking up HIB5 when I have every single other game)
    -Legend of Grimrock
    -Isaac DLC
    -Jagged Alliance 2 Gold ( I blame you all for this one)
    -Civ 5 Gods and Kings (highly unlikely, but one can dream!)

I did not enjoy X3. Nope no sir, not at all

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Crysis 2 and Sonic 4: Episode 2 are the only games I have interest in. I have a large backlog that I don't want to add to by a substantial amount and with Crysis 2, it's so I can keep up with the story, whilst with S4E2 it's because it got decent enough reviews that it might be nice to have a new 2D Sonic. Fingers not entirely crossed for either unless they're down to a satisfactory price.

Regardless, as standard, I present the Steam sale rules:

1. Only buy games you actually think you're going to play. Buying a game just because it is 80% off is a waste of money if you never spent it. That's 20% of a base cost that you've wasted and could go towards something later on.
    2. Wait for a game to be a daily deal, where it is further discounted, before picking it up. Most games will be on sale anyhow, so you have plenty of time to pick them up. If a game you want isn't a daily deal, wait until the final day of the sale to pick it up.
    3. Check your friendly local e-retailer, such as Amazon, because they are getting far more competitive when it comes to Steam. Sometimes buying from them might be cheaper.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 11-06-2012 at 12:03 AM.