Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Network Hub

Is gaming a worthwhile pastime?

It's fun and stimulating but is it a valuable use of one's time? Are gamers better prepared to deal with life and the world's challenges?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    No,not really but i can't help myself to stay away from games,its like curse.
    ... I take the lives of a few to protect the lives of many. I commit acts of war to preserve the greater peace. I take no joy in killing, but make no mistake; I'll do what needs to be done. Because it's my job. It's my duty. My name is Sam Fisher, and I am a Splinter Cell.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Maybe in some ways, but is that the point?

It's a leisure activity.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    It sure helped my social skills. Since I started gaming, I haven't had anyone call me because they were upset with me. In fact, I haven't had anyone call me.

On a more serious note, there are some benefits that are frequently linked to playing video games, such as sharpened reflexes and better problem solving skills. I'll try to see if I can dig up some articles on the subject when I get home tonight.

Games can teach you how to survive a zombie apocalypse.

Valuable in which sense?
    If graphics are not important why spend so much on a GPU?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    On the same note as fiddlesticks, there have also been studies that link playing online, team-based games on being a better team player IRL, specially on the job.

And overall playing online can also help people with serious socializing problems.

Personally however, I couldn't care less. I enjoy games. And that's about the gist of it.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    On a more serious note, there are some benefits that are frequently linked to playing video games, such as sharpened reflexes and better problem solving skills. I'll try to see if I can dig up some articles on the subject when I get home tonight.
    I always wince at the 'Games are making me a better person - look at the science!' viewpoint, like we're apologizing for our hobby, secretly conceding that our parents were always right when they told us to go outside and 'make real friends'. I would be just as happy playing games regardless of any minute benefits i may be accruing.

I think the debate comes down to opportunity cost - If one is spending a majority of ones time playing computer games, then what is one not doing instead? This tortures me a bit to be honest and I do worry that the 250 hours sunk into this years iteration of Football Manager alone represents a blog I never wrote, an instrument unpracticed or 1.5 stone of fat that clings to my innards.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocelotwildly View Post
    I always wince at the 'Games are making me a better person - look at the science!' viewpoint, like we're apologizing for our hobby, secretly conceding that our parents were always right when they told us to go outside and 'make real friends'. I would be just as happy playing games regardless of any minute benefits i may be accruing.

I think the debate comes down to opportunity cost - If one is spending a majority of ones time playing computer games, then what is one not doing instead? This tortures me a bit to be honest and I do worry that the 250 hours sunk into this years iteration of Football Manager alone represents a blog I never wrote, an instrument unpracticed or 1.5 stone of fat that clings to my innards.
    Doing anything is going to be detriment to something else. I do not see why playing a game you enjoy for 250 hours, should be considered any less worthwhile. Feeling "guilty/regret" for spending your time doing one thing over something else of about as equal importance is an absurd notion, that I do not quite understand.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Now that I (like Mr. Elton) am an old married man, I give more thought to such considerations. I don't know if it is because I feel obligated to justify my hobby, or if it is because I am actually growing more thoughtful. Maybe both?

In short, though -- games are intricately crafted creations by fellow people, and I consider enjoying them to be similarly worthwhile to the enjoying of other intricately crafted creations; the higher-than-usual degree of interactivity adding another interesting element to all of that as well, of course. They are also pretty fun sometimes.

(I might class them with the other things that C.S. Lewis describes as having no "survival value" but rather giving value to survival; though on the other hand I have learned many useful life lessons by studying the behavior and misbehavior of monarchies on Darktide in Asheron's Call).
    Last edited by Berzee; 19-07-2012 at 03:59 PM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Activated Node
    It's one of the few activities that do challenge the mind, and keep you (or at least me) interested.
    (As opposed to math, which is a huge challenge, yet not that interesting :p ).

So I'd say yeah, of course not all games are included in that definition.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by djbriandamage View Post
    It's fun and stimulating but is it a valuable use of one's time? Are gamers better prepared to deal with life and the world's challenges?
    Competitive games? Yeah, I would think so. Considering then it's not just about the game, but the person you're playing against as well.

Playing Starcraft also enhances your capabilities of multitasking during a crisis. Somewhat limited real-life application, but a real-life application nonetheless.

Anyway, yeah, pastimes in general aren't the most effective way to become a more valuable member of society or whatever. Most games are no exception.

Quote Originally Posted by byteCrunch View Post
    Doing anything is going to be detriment to something else. I do not see why playing a game you enjoy for 250 hours, should be considered any less worthwhile. Feeling "guilty/regret" for spending your time doing one thing over something else of about as equal importance is an absurd notion, that I do not quite understand.
    But you must concede that in a lot of other areas of activity, increased time spent doing something leads to increasing benefits as new skills are learnt or the condition of your body improved. Many games are essentially just running on the spot (although without the health benefits that would confer!), and it is all too easy to sink time into them essentially repeating the same actions once one has learnt the mechanism of the game inside out.

Now, I don't necessarily agree that everyone should spend every waking moment of their lives making themselves a better person and frankly, when I come home wiped out from a days work to just sit there and examine and interact with meticulously constructed systems is far more appealing to me that passively absorbing TV or similar. It just that after a long period of time when I look back on the balance sheet of how I have chosen to spend my waking hours, I do get a bit of a chill when I realise what the investment of time in computer games could represent had I spent it in other ways.

Well, i can say that minecraft has helped develop my inner architect and understanding of logic gate chaining.

Other than that though, about the same as reading a good book (story driven) or competitive team/solo sport (online Vs(minus cardio...:/)).

Also, if I ever find myself for some reason as the executive governor of an entire civilization recovering from a crashed expedition to a nearby star system I think I could handle it :D.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    No,not really but i can't help myself to stay away from games,its like curse.
    It's not much different than reading books or knitting or watching television in my opinion, it's made to pass time and enjoy yourself like all hobbies. If there wasn't anything to pass time with you'd be staring to the ceiling for the most part.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Do you derive enjoyment from it?

WORTHWHILE!

Yes. Like you said, it's fun and stimulating. What more do you want from a hobby?

Games are about solving hypothetical problems. That's useful, valuable. Many games need you to use your brain or reflexes to overcome difficult obstacles. Many games just let you click on things and watch the pretty lights. Whatever floats your boat.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    More rambling thoughts =P feel free to disregard in favor of playingmoregamez! This is me indulging in Serious Thoughts, but really my opinion is just, "Yes."

I think comparing games to other activities is the wrong question, because it focuses on the activities (which, like most things in the world, are intrinsically wonderful) instead of focusing on the people involved (who, like most people in the world, have got some problems =P).

You might be able to ask something like "Do I spend too much time seeking to be entertained, when I ought to be (gaining skills / helping others / introspecting / producing something lasting)". The mention of hours spent in Football Manager because the cause of fatness is such a question -- but I think that it is a better question if the specific activity of "Computer Games" is left out of it. As usual, the world of full of wonderful things that we are apt to use badly.

Pitting games against other activities might confuse the real question -- the real question being, of course, "Am I the kind of person who is likely to neglect some good thing I ought to Do or Be, seeking to be entertained when I ought to be fulfilling known duties? On the other hand, do I take time to rest and appreciate the accomplishments of others in some way, rather than only powerlevelling through life?"

If after reflection you know that you are being loving and helpful to those you meet in life, and are being neither selfish nor slavish with your free time, and are not merrily trundling along with unaddressed critical character flaws -- then you're probably good to just...do whatever you want. ;)

Or in other words: Be Excellent To Each Other, and if that's done, Carry On.

(Full Disclosure: as I write this I also feel pangs of regret at how well I'd probably know Irish Gaelic by now if I had never heard of TF2. But I also think of how many inside jokes I would have lost if I never heard of TF2, and so it balances out? Maybe?)
    Last edited by Berzee; 19-07-2012 at 04:20 PM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Do books make you better prepared for life ?

Yes.
    No.
    Depends.

It's the same with games. It depends on what kinds of games you play. Some are stress relievers at best, others are intellectually stimulating - try DROD, Bug Brain or Fish Fillets.

I play board games in two different communities. One is overrun with extroverts, and despite being close to a technical university the most popular games in there are simple ones like Ticket to Ride, 7 Wonders, Bang!, Carcassone. The other community is much smaller, guys and girls seem quieter and thoughtful. They make a strange impression when they play - as if they focused on the game instead of people around them. Their collection of board games is about 25% bigger yet they started meeting only 3 years ago. I learned Claustrophobia yesterday and it's been a great fun. The rest were playing Eclipse.

Different strokes for different people.

It's not just about games themselves. Not just problem solving. If you run a clan, and it's not a shapeless blob with 3/4 folks no longer playing, you probably learn some management skills.
    Last edited by b0rsuk; 19-07-2012 at 04:13 PM.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Sure it is, if it's something you enjoy. My gaming habit came up with my mother-in-law the other day. She was surprised that I normally spend 2 hours a night on my PC during the week. She said it seemed like a lot. Now she is hooked on books. She will read 2-3 books a week. She reads at breakfast, on her lunch break, and for hours each night. She might spend 4-5 hours each day reading. I asked her how the two were any different, and she had no answer.

Gaming just has this stigma attached to it. If you watch two movies a night, people say you just like movies. If you read 4 hours a day, people say you love to read. If you play games 4 hours a day, people say you are addicted to gaming.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."