Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Subatomic View Post
    For all its faults, I think Dragon Age 2 had a really good opening, introducing you to Varric as the not entirely reliable narrator of the game (argueably one of its strong points) and giving you the opportunity to play around with some high level abilities.
    And then you find out that the rest of the game is nothing like the opening.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    And then you find out that the rest of the game is nothing like the opening.
    Well, it kind of is... hacking enemies to pieces in a rather dull brownish environment sets the stage reasonably well for the rest of the game. :P
    Joking aside, I think having the game narrated by one of the characters was a really good idea and fairly well done (the completely ridiculous bit with him storming his brothers mansion solo only to cut back to him and Cassandra argueing was especially hilarious). The faults of the game lay elsewhere.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopig View Post
    Saints Row 3, the skydiving bit was classic.
    "Please autograph and put down your weapons!"

Here's an oldie and a personal favorite: Syndicate Wars.

Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Day of the Tentacle

/thread

Network Hub
    Secret Of Monkey Island - I count everything up to you being assigned the three trials as the opening sequence. The dialogue in the bar with the various pirates perfectly sets the tone for the game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Statue, creature dwelling, creature dwelling, creature dwelling, creature dwelling, creature dwelling, well.
    Tavern, Mansion, Win.
    Forge fast expand
    Two rhino tanks + rush the enemy harvester ONLY, then retreat.
    Go for the rocket launcher - every single time.
    Two refineries straight away, barracks, factory.
    Go back and to the left and pick up the chainsaw. Sprint from the switch ledge, backtrack, pick up the rocket launcher. Go around the pillar, kill imps, pick up the shotgun. Don't forget super shotgun in level 2 and backpack in level 3.
    Place cross or O in the middle.
    Sell all starting equipment, buy a Bow and give it to a party member.
    Steal a jetpack, don't kill the shopeeker, avoid the second shopkeeper.
    Put at least 3 points into Charisma, and make sure to take the Prince perk as well.

I'm talking about games, not movies.
    pass

I have to second Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. Yes, the beginning of the mission was scripted like it had been attacked by an army of scripting-hungry scripters, and yes it started a never-ending series of "cinematic" shooters which have culminated in the newer Call of Duties, but damn, that first time I hit Omaha beach I will never forget.

I am highly disappointed by the lack of Max Payne in this thread.

"They were all dead. The final gunshot was an exclamation mark to everything that had led to this point. I released my finger from the trigger. And then it was over. To make any kind of sense of it, I need to go back three years. Back to the night the pain started."

"They were all dead. Love kills. The past is a gaping hole. You try to run from it, but the more you run, the deeper it grows behind you, its edges yawning at your heels."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Anyone remember Hitman Contracts intro,it was quite cool :D

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

abit tired, and fairly predictable, but I'm going to say Half-Life 2. I thought the opening (everything up to, and including, 'A Red Letter Day') was pretty amazing on my first play through.

and as HL1 as already been said, I'll go with Oposing Force. I still remember riding in the Heli as we flew in to black Mesa, while my character was unsure of what to expect.

I also though the AoE2 opening cinematic was pretty amazing, the way the kings were playing chess while their men fought one another, it was also a pretty good lead in to the idea of strategy in the game.

additionally, the first Halo's opening level.

Half-Life, Half-Life 2

Fallout
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geLiEiAiQJA

Fallout 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SxRNua0TGY

Fallout: New Vegas
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5_8Ff73Prc

Age of Empires 2: The Age of Kings
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow4cC-Cz5l8

Shogo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOzIxZuZhN0

Civilization IV
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyf_B1tUt7k&

Full Throttle
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PktBJ6HpNJQ

Those are some of my favourites

Edit: meant to post Fallout opening as well, guess something went wrong. Thanks for the reminder grasskit :D
    Last edited by Battle Programmer Spike; 17-07-2012 at 10:52 AM.

everyone keeps mentioning fallout2-3 intro. i still think original fallout intro was superior in setting up the world and tone of the game. not to mention that subsequent games are basically variation on same idea.

oh and at the very start of the game if you try to get back in your vault, youre told they "cant open" it due to some "system malfunctions *ahem". nothing says better "youre on your own and youre fucked" than that moment right there.
    Last edited by grasskit; 17-07-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Activated Node
    Overall favourite: Bioshock

Best cinematic: Dawn of War 2 - "This planet is ours, Witch!"

Honourable mention: The Void - the intro merges perfectly into the whole where am I? Who am I? What am I? Are these people telling me the truth? thing that goes on for the rest of the game.

yes. yes you did. I really should learn to read before I try to write

I remember the opening cinematics of Mechwarrior 2 / GBL and especially Mercs being quite good

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    "Perhaps you should be!"

Some good mentions earlier in this thread. I especially liked Mass Effect 1.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by khaz View Post
    Driver also had that rather good (But rather tough)
    Oh god I remember that. Possibly the hardest thing in the game up until the last few missions. I agree, that was a fantastic opening that told you absolutely everything you needed to know for the rest of the game, while making you feel cool at the same time. Even if it took 50 goes.