Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
    Unusually bad turnout for a Thursday unfortunately; I don't think we broke ten people at any point.

I do wish people would stay longer before they decide to leave though, it might help get other people in if they see more people playing.

Sunday 8pm is the next event people, NOT monday. I'll get it up on Steam when I can.

Having a monday event as well might be a good idea, since it's a national holiday in the States. Assuming, again, that part of the reason for low turnout is that the events typically happen during American work- and school- hours, this could be an opportunity to fill the server. Alternately, I'm wrong, and we're never going to see more than a small percentage of members join, so the only solution is frequent recruitment drives.

EDIT: Of course, everyone would be off on sunday anyway, but the last weekend event didn't go well so maybe people are busy with other stuff and something something I really need to think before I post from now on
    Last edited by Oak; 05-10-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Maybe it's just me but I had expected the matches to be slightly more... organized. Though it was fun it felt mostly like a random zerg divided into two teams. Have you ever considered dividing people up and getting each on their own voice comm so we could play like that? Perhaps I am just wrong and people do in fact enjoy the way it's done and even the team-based nature of TF2 is supposed to be faster paced and slightly chaotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Oak View Post
    Having a monday event as well might be a good idea, since it's a national holiday in the States. Assuming, again, that part of the reason for low turnout is that the events typically happen during American work- and school- hours, this could be an opportunity to fill the server. Alternately, I'm wrong, and we're never going to see more than a small percentage of members join, so the only solution is frequent recruitment drives.

EDIT: Of course, everyone would be off on sunday anyway, but the last weekend event didn't go well so maybe people are busy with other stuff and something something I really need to think before I post from now on
    We did have a failed weekend event before, but that was on a Saturday; we've never had one on a Sunday before.

I just think we have a lot of competition from other games at the minute, especially multiplayer ones.

The biggest problem is getting people in. If people see a near-empty server, they assume that it's about to be deserted and don't join. If they see a half-full server, they're more inclined to join, which in turn causes other people to join. That's why I was concerned with people leaving too quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Frengler View Post
    Maybe it's just me but I had expected the matches to be slightly more... organized. Though it was fun it felt mostly like a random zerg divided into two teams. Have you ever considered dividing people up and getting each on their own voice comm so we could play like that? Perhaps I am just wrong and people do in fact enjoy the way it's done and even the team-based nature of TF2 is supposed to be faster paced and slightly chaotic.
    Sorting people into teams can be time consuming, and also pointless, given that we have an autoscramble enabled. Any work given into making two sets of ordered teams would probably be destroyed a few minutes into a game.

alltalk however, can be disabled if people don't like it. When we started I just thought that it would be a bit more social to have it enabled. If people would prefer team chat only, then it can be arranged.

Network Hub
    Nonono, All talk is definitely the way to go. We're after a social environment, not a competitive one.

I see your point and it was also a mere thought of mine. With our turn out the way it works now seems fine and I also have nothing against it (not to mention limited experience of course).

I quite enjoyed last night, despite the low numbers. I actually think we had more last night than either session last week. TF2 on Sunday again next week? Or a different day?

I was surprised at how well capture the flag on Well played with a low number of people. Anyone want to try more ctf maps as well as koth, when we have only a few people? Off the top of my head there are also: doublecross, turbine, sawmill and (ugh) 2fort.

Well was great as a CTF, much prefered it to control points. It seems with decent map choices, even with a lower player count (about 10-12 last night wasn't it?) good fun is had.

Network Hub
    What about Hydro? I know its not the best of maps but I think with lower numbers it might make the choke points a little easier to advanced through.

My apologies for disappearing in a puff of angry smoke after 20 minutes seemingly because I was annoyed and got owned all the time. It had nothing to do with the game or you - my mood was just black in general last night.

CTF Well was definitely a highlight, I love KOTH Sawmill so the CTF version of that sounds like fun.

Still need some feedback about next week guys. Sunday again? Or a different day? (Thursday will remain the same).

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbick View Post
    Well was great as a CTF, much prefered it to control points. It seems with decent map choices, even with a lower player count (about 10-12 last night wasn't it?) good fun is had.
    Control points is actually my favourite game mode; it's just unfortunate that it plays so poorly with only a handful of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiphat View Post
    What about Hydro? I know its not the best of maps but I think with lower numbers it might make the choke points a little easier to advanced through.
    I like Hydro myself. I can understand Valve's reasoning when they developed it; they wanted a map that would stand the test of time and provide incredible replayability. As you say, it's just a shame that it turns into a massive bottleneck at times.

I don't think Hydro is on the rotation, so we can't play it at the moment; and I can't do anything about it until Tink gets back from his holiday.

Sunday worked quite well, so could give it another spin to see if we get same/more numbers.

We're playing right now! Please join! I'll hug you!

Great Thursday session guys, I really enjoyed it. Thanks for showing up en masse.

We ended up doing an impromptu Halloween themed session, with harvest_event, Eyeaduct and Mann Manor all played. I think that may have been the reason for the increased playercount; maybe not, but it was good fun.

Thoroughly enjoyed that, if a little rusty!

I have not been able to play a for a while, I will try to get in tomorrow atleast. Always a fun server.

Okay, this is a bit abrupt, and may come as a surprise, but I've made a decision that I'm going to step down as the event-posting-guy/admin person for this group. I've posted events to fill out October, but after that, someone else will have to do it.

Why? Couple of reasons.

One is that there are a bunch of games coming out soon/now that I'm going to be heavily invested in, and want to spend a lot of time with.

Also, for some of the last few sessions, I've shown up purely to officiate things, not because I wanted to be there and play. That made me feel a bit resentful at times, because I really wanted to be doing/playing something else, and that's not a position I want to be in every week.

The main reason though, is that I just fancy a bit of a break from TF2 at the moment. While I love the game to bits, playing it constantly is making me feel a little jaded. I think I might check out what Halloween event Valve are going to do this year and then give it a rest for a while.

So, as I see it, the server isn't popular enough to fill up by itself; and the Steam events are still needed if you guys want to carry on playing TF2 with RPS people. Basically, someone has to volunteer for event-posting duties in order for this group to carry on. It's not a hard job, you just have to remember to do it.

Server admin is a different matter, and I'm not entirely sure if we actually need one. There are plugins for autoscramble, voting for maps and stuff, so it mostly it takes care of itself. I've only ever had to use my admin powers to change the map, I've never actually had to ban/kick anyone. I've came close to kicking people for talking shit over voice comms, but they shut up after a while so I didn't do it.

While I do know the server password, it would be wrong of me to divulge it because it's not my server, it's Tink's. It's up to him if he wants to give someone else responsibility. Like I say, I'm not entirely sure if an admin is required.

So, it's been nice playing with you guys. I might drop in from time to time to see how things are going.

TL;DR - I'm taking a break from TF2, someone else is going to have to post events.

Thanks for getting us up and running Airtekh, really appreciate it. I'll miss the constant backstabs :)

I'm not around for every game so not sure I'd be very reliable to look after it to be honest. Funds for other games are low though so I will likely still be dipping into TF2 every now and then for the foreseeable future.

It has been a lot of fun Airtekh and I appreciate the effort you have put into the group so we could get a fun sort of community set up around the game. Every evening has been a good laugh and I do really want to see it going for a while longer.

I would be happy to set up events and such, but I can't promise I can be there every single Sunday.

I hope you enjoy the games coming out Airtekh and hopefully, you still find a little time to jump in and play with us every now and then. Thanks for setting all this up man!