Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Yeah, steam and microphones are a weird beast, some steam games even have microhone support on by default so you would have your microphone blast through the game and steam.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

I don't have a mic at the moment (PC is in front room next to TV, so my wife doesn't take too kindly to it). That said, I can grab one as I regularly shout/swear at games anyway.

The time was ok for me, but a little later (hour or so) suits better (kids in bed etc).

Seems like the game happened about an hour and a half before I got out of work, so yeah, I'd also prefer something a little later.

That's fine guys, like we did today was gathering in the chat for 15 minutes and join an empty server. Some folks joined later up too.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    That was good fun.

I'd recommend mumbling. Makes communication really easy. :)

I'm in the US, so I'm impartial on time. I'll show up when I can. I'm currently on break from my studies, so I'll be seeing you folks around on TF2 however things end up working out.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 21-07-2012 at 04:04 AM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Count me in, the RPS server was fantastic fun when we could get it populated.

So I'm thinking we could start with one regular weekly meeting initially; if it's super popular then we could add a second. In the meantime, if you want an extra session, you can bug Ravelle to add an event to the Steam group ;)

Based on feedback from Oak and others, I'm going to suggest a starting time of 10pm (UTC+1), what do people think of that?

For the purpose of finding out which day is best, I've set up a little spreadsheet. Find your name (I used the names in the steam group) and click each cell and the little arrow that appears, there should be a drop down box to say whether you're free on that night or not. Please, only edit your own line!

As for communication, Mumble seems like the software of choice, and I'm sure the ARMA guys wouldn't mind us crashing on their server one night a week.

The Arma forum has a handy guide to setting it up here; it's fairly straightforward, but ask if you have problems. I would advise that everyone install it - even if you don't have a mic - because you'll want to be able to hear what's going on; especially if we *ahem* decide to change server. Don't bother reading the stuff about Whisper lists, they're not relevant to us.

Oh, cool, now everyone can see that I have no social life.

Quote Originally Posted by Oak View Post
    Oh, cool, now everyone can see that I have no social life.
    That was not the intention; I'll take it down if you feel that it's intrusive.

I couldn't think of another way of doing it, but if anyone has suggestions then please mention them.

Good work Air, if you want to play on my server I'll try and do some preperation next time and have the list of admin commands handy.

I do think we need to sort out the name though, I suggest Rock, Paper, Sandvich.

Oh I'd be up for this, main reason I stopped playing tf2 was 'cos the servers I used to play on all kinda died.

Rock, Paper, Scattergun

Honestly guys, I'm never really sure when I'm available as work is unpredictable. I'll just keep checking in and join whenever I can.

Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    That was not the intention; I'll take it down if you feel that it's intrusive.

I couldn't think of another way of doing it, but if anyone has suggestions then please mention them.
    I'm joking, I'm joking. It's a fine idea.

Ok, now that I have super admin powers, I've posted an experimental event for Monday. We'll try using Mumble for comms; again details are here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tink View Post
    Good work Air, if you want to play on my server I'll try and do some preperation next time and have the list of admin commands handy.

I do think we need to sort out the name though, I suggest Rock, Paper, Sandvich.
    We could try your server again, but if we do, could you turn off instant respawn? I absolutely loathe it. I'll try and get a few other ones lined up as well, hopefully ones which have more than one map in their rotation!

I'm not sure if we can change the Steam group name at this stage. Maybe Ravelle can.

Quote Originally Posted by Oak View Post
    I'm joking, I'm joking. It's a fine idea.
    Ah cool. No worries.

I don't like instant respawn either but 20 seconds for a respawn is a long time with so few people on a server.

@Tink, I suck at names so if if anyone else got any ideas; feel free to suggest some names, in the meanwhile we'll go with Tink's. :)

Edit: seems like I can't actually change the group title, I'll have to remake it if you want me change it.
    Last edited by Ravelle; 22-07-2012 at 07:10 PM.

I was going to say that 10pm was a little late for me, but my wife and I are expecting a baby, so I should probably start training myself for late nights and limited sleep.

I'm not sure if I I'll make tonight, I have a job interview today so I'll probably want nothing more than to curl in a heap and moan gently to myself.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    It has been far too long since I played TF2 regularly. I hopped on last night to check my wireless connection could handle it and all is dandy, so I've applied to the Steam group and will hopefully see you guys for a romp tonight :)

(Also I picked up this in a random drop almost immediately, which seems like the most hilariously suicidal weapon ever.)
    Last edited by Screwie; 23-07-2012 at 10:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by amusingthebrood View Post
    I was going to say that 10pm was a little late for me,
    The main reason for the late start is to give American people a chance to join in the fun. None of this (days/times) are permanent yet.

What we could do is have one night with an early start, say 7 or 8pm and a second night with a late start say 10pm or 11pm (times are UTC+1). Is this a good idea?

Also, any new people could you please add your data to the spreadsheet? Thanks.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by airtekh View Post
    What we could do is have one night with an early start, say 7 or 8pm and a second night with a late start say 10pm or 11pm (times are UTC+1). Is this a good idea?
    Yes, it's an excellent idea. I usually go to bed at 10PM during work days (early work).

This was fun, even if I joined late and wasn't on Mumble. Lag wasn't really a problem, either.