Results 21 to 40 of 146
18-07-2012, 09:40 PM #21
- Join Date
- Sep 2011
18-07-2012, 09:45 PM #22
I don't think I'm going to break symmetry any time soon: it's fundamental to the nature of the tournament, and the only way to ensure that the challenger doesn't really have an advantage (except the very small one of seeing the map slightly sooner).
Replacing one of the spawned units with another type ought to maintain that balance, as long as you're careful; the computer is pretty fastidious about placing units such that none has line-of-sight on an enemy at the start. And any map-tinkering that did break symmetry would see the match declared void - and possibly a forfeit, depending on the circumstances (not that I think that would ever happen, RPSers are too nice for any shenanigans like that).
I'm not sure how much use snipers would be on most of the maps we see generated, they tend to be quite limited in size. Occasionally you do see one that's a bit taller or wider than the norm though, and then it might be interesting.
26-07-2012, 12:52 AM #23
We seem to have stalled at 13 peeps, so I've sent a PM to anyone who's played in one of the leagues since #7 (text below). Maybe that'll drum up some more interest.
I'll be mostly without internet access the next few days - visiting family in darkest Norfolk; what larks! - but I still plan to go ahead with the kick-off on 1 August unless anyone objects.
I just wanted to let you know (if you didn't already) that the RPS Frozen Synapse League is still a thing, and that we'd take you back in a heartbeat. Thread here, sign up here. Come strategise with us!
Sign-ups are open until midnight Tuesday 31 July, and the season will start on 1 August.
26-07-2012, 05:56 PM #24
26-07-2012, 06:35 PM #25
If I weren't busy liberating Arulco in JA:BIA right now I'd join in, but I got a 1-strategy-game-at-a-time limit. I'll try to join in next season!
27-07-2012, 01:54 AM #26
I would, but I have only just started and am too terrible at the game to play against other humans
27-07-2012, 06:16 AM #27
Okay, okay, so the guilt-trip PM worked in my case!
I didn't forget about you all – but things've been really busy lately and I've been branching out with a couple new things.
I'm signed up! Good to be back.
Last edited by lagnut; 27-07-2012 at 07:24 AM.
29-07-2012, 01:10 AM #28
your new cannon fodder signed in :)
29-07-2012, 02:33 PM #29
30-07-2012, 11:35 PM #30
01-08-2012, 12:07 AM #31
Season 11 is go!
Howdy folks, and welcome to Season 11 of the RPS Frozen Synapse League!
This time we have 18 players split into three divisions: click here to see the league tables.
Important: each player has the responsibility of challenging every player above him/her in the appropriate division. That means that, for instance, I have to issue five challenges, while rodeoclown has two and Xune has none.
If you are unsure who you should be challenging, look at the second tab on the spreadsheet. You need to issue a challenge for each game in which you are Player 1. If you're still unsure, post in this thread or send me a PM.
Game rules and league procedures
1) Each game must conform to the following settings:
Mode: Dark Elimination
Map type: symmetrical
Turn limit: eight turns
Turn duration: five seconds per turn (i.e. 5000 milliseconds - this is the default setting)
Visibility: vis at time zero
Team strength: four men per player, including at least one rocket launcher or grenadier
Mutators: at the challengers discretion
Any game that does not conform to these rules will be void and must be replayed. You may not reuse maps - a new map must be generated for each challenge. Please see the next post if you're not sure how to create a game with the correct settings, and post in this thread if you are in any doubt.
2) After creating each game on server UK1, the challenger must state the challenge in this thread. Format: "[Player1] has challenged [Player2] in game [game ID]".
Example: "ColOfNature has challenged Xune in game 123456".
3) After each game has been completed, the player accepting the challenge must report the result in this thread. Standard format: "[Victorious player] has defeated [defeated player] in game [game ID] by [number of men killed by victorious player] men killed to [number of men killed by defeated player]".
Example: "Xune has defeated ColOfNature in game 123456 by 4 men killed to 0".
In the event of a draw, the format is "[Challenging player] and [challenged player] have drawn in game [game ID], killing [number of men killed per player] men each."
Example: "ColOfNature and Xune have drawn in game 123456, killing 3 men each".
I will update the spreadsheet with the result of each game.
4) Challengers may start issuing their challenges from today (Wednesday 01 August). All games must be completed by the end of Wednesday 15 August.
5) We're all reasonable people, when pressed, so some flexibility will be applied. If you're going to be on holiday, or traveling to distant worlds, or otherwise restricted in your availability, please post in this thread and we will try to accommodate you as far as is reasonably practical.
6) Try to start your games in the first week and finish them early. Players leaving it to the last minute to issue a challenge or submit orders risk forfeiting the game. If any game is unfinished by the deadline I will declare both parties personae-non-grata and award your points to whoever offers me the most fruit in bribes.
7) The divisions for season 12 will be determined according to the final results of season 11 with the aid of the Tarot, which I will consult at a later date. (I favour the Hermetic Tarot personally, I feel the absence of colour helps me to focus on the symbolism of Dowson's detailed depictions. But that's just my opinion.)
8) Any circumstances not catered for in these rules will be handled according to some combination of common sense, consensus, iron-fisted authoritarianism and whimsy. Mostly the latter.
Finally, a polite reminder that although PMing your email address to me is optional, it will make organisation easier so please consider doing so if you haven't already.
Last edited by ColOfNature; 01-08-2012 at 12:48 AM.
01-08-2012, 12:07 AM #32
This may be useful to those newer to Frozen Synapse:
1) Log in to server UK1.
2) Click the 'Multiplayer' button at the top of the screen
3) Click 'Create a game'
4) Set the game mode to Dark Extermination
5) Click the 'Advanced setup' button
6) Ignore the scary warning and click 'OK'
7) Click the 'Generate symmetrical' button
8) If you get a silly map, or if you don't have four men per side (including at least one rocket launcher or grenadier), go back to (7) and repeat until you're happy.
9) Click the 'Submit' button
10) Ensure that the 'Game mode' is set to 'Extermination'
11) Ensure that the 'Vis mode' is set to 'Vis at time zero'
12) Ensure that the 'Turn limit' is set to 8 (and the 'Turn length' to 5000, which is the default)
13) Activate Mutators, if'n you like (You'll only be able to do this if you own the Red DLC)
14) Enter your opponent's username
15) Enter 'RPS Dark Extermination League' or something suitable so that your opponent knows it's for this league
16) Click the 'Submit' button
17) Take your first turn and note the challenge in this thread, using the format in point 2 of the post directly above this one.
01-08-2012, 12:31 AM #334) Challengers may start issuing their challenges fromtoday (Sunday 01 July). All games must be completed by the end of Sunday 15 July.
01-08-2012, 12:34 AM #34
- Join Date
- Sep 2011
01-08-2012, 12:45 AM #35
- Join Date
- Sep 2011
01-08-2012, 12:51 AM #36
01-08-2012, 03:31 AM #37
Oh cool, so basically I don't have to issue any challenges. Sweet!
01-08-2012, 11:33 AM #38
parpel has challenged lagnut in game 588704 with double kill mutator activated
01-08-2012, 12:39 PM #39
DeVadder has challenged Xune in game 588721
DeVadder has challenged RodeoClown in game 588726
DeVadder has challenged cimethink in game 588724
All have double kill on.
01-08-2012, 08:34 PM #40
Here we go :D
Dathknight has challenged sketchseven in game 588981
Dathknight has challenged TamLin in game 588995
Dathknight has challenged Blankenhorne in game 589014
Dathknight has challenged elephant_god in game 589020
all with "Double Kill"-Mutator for fairness
I hope everything is correct :)
This is going to be interesting and good luck and have fun :)
I forgot trumpet :( I am Sorry here it is:
Dathknight has challenged trumpet in game 589034
Last edited by Dathknight; 01-08-2012 at 08:44 PM.