Thread: bad DIMM?

Network Hub

bad DIMM?

I built my PC about 3 years ago and have had this problem since day one. I'm sure there's nothing I can do but I'll throw it out there.

I have an i7 processor that supports triple-channel RAM. I have 3 x 2GB DIMMs of 1600MHz RAM with CL9 timings. For some reason I've never been able to run the memory stable at full speed - I have to clock them down to 1333 MHz. I don't have the exact numbers at my disposal but even though I bought 3 identical DIMMs in a kit one of the sticks has slightly different timings than the other two.

Is there anything in the world I can do to correct this? My motherboard has 6 RAM slots but 3 of them are the primary slots so I have to use those. I've tried shuffling the sticks around but the same DIMM always reports the same slightly slower timings.

As long as I run my memory at 1333MHz or lower it's perfectly stable. If I try 1600MHz my PC crashes shortly after booting into Windows.

Simple manufacturing defect?

Three years ago I would've suggested taking the kit back for a refund...

The extra MHz aren't worth bothering yourself about really.

The DiMM isn't bad in the sense it stops it working correctly, it just isn't good enough to work at the speed it should, so it's lightly damaged or suffered a manufacturing error that made it through quality testing. Rii's right, you should have sent it back 3 years ago but you won't really notice the difference in real world usage, only if you are just number-chasing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    The integrated memory controller on the processor can't handle just any speed, you know. Triple channel says pre-Sandy Bridge to me, meaning the rated maximum for memory is actually DDR3-1066.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    The integrated memory controller on the processor can't handle just any speed, you know. Triple channel says pre-Sandy Bridge to me, meaning the rated maximum for memory is actually DDR3-1066.
    Wow, I think you're right. I have an i7-930 which is a Bloomfield.

Quote Originally Posted by djbriandamage View Post
    Wow, I think you're right. I have an i7-930 which is a Bloomfield.
    What motherboard do you have, though? That's basically what decides how far above the rated maximum you can go.

Network Hub
    Well isn't this illuminating - a very quick look at my motherboard spec sheet has 1666MHz RAM conspicuously absent!

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/prod...px?pid=3449#sp

Quote Originally Posted by djbriandamage View Post
    Well isn't this illuminating - a very quick look at my motherboard spec sheet has 1666MHz RAM conspicuously absent!

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/prod...px?pid=3449#sp
    Actually, looking at the detailed memory support list, plenty of DDR3-1600 modules are listed. Still, if yours aren't among them there might be a compatibility issue.

Network Hub
    My memory is on that list. It's that one DIMM, then. Ah wellsers.