Granting full access to my PC over a network

Hey,

I've been trying to find a way to grant full access to my PC to other computers in my home network but I haven't been able to make anything more than just the shared folders possible. I've had a good search on Google but nothing I search for brings up what I want.

So, in the hope that there's some simply little check box to tick that I just can't find, I thought I'd ask you guys. Any suggestions?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Define "full access"

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    Define "full access"
    This pretty much. What do you want to share? Do you want remote access? Do you want to share files? Also it might be handy to share what OS you are on right now. Windows 7/ Vista/ XP, Linux, Unix, Mac, etc.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    As far as I'm aware, Mac and Linux have built-in command-line functions for accessing and manipulating a computer from a distance and Windows has a built-in GUI functionality for remote computer access. There is third party software available that expands or re-packages this functionality, as well.

Beyond that, more specifics, ditto, ditto.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Network Hub
    Take a look at SSH and VNC, SSH will give you shell access, VNC a virtual desktop, just depends on which you would preffer, I am guessing you are a Windows user so VNC is a better bet, look into software like TightVNC. Windows also has its own inbuilt software, though I have never used it.

Do you want remote access? Do you want to share files? Also it might be handy to share what OS you are on right now

Oh sorry, I'm running Windows 7 and so is every other computer on my network. And by full access I mean instead of just being able to access the public folders I want the other computers to be able to access my C drive and everything inside it (I'm not sure whether this is remote access or whatever).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Just share the drive itself then (or indeed all the drives), if that's what you want. The other remote access people will talk about is as in letting\ you control your computer from other computers.

Don't know how much you know about computers so I'll go with the step by step aproach. No offense meant if this is a bit too much.

Right click the drive or folder you want to share and click on properties. Go to the tab sharing and click on advanced sharing. That will open a new window in which you should click on the 'share this folder'. It will also give you the option of giving it a name of your choosing. After you've done that you click on permissions and select 'Full Control' for the group 'everyone'.

To access your files from another computer you can type in \\*computername or IP*\*name of folder you shared*. So in reality you would type something like \\PC01\Games. PC01 being the name of the PC and Games being the name you've given your shared folder/ drive.

Do note that giving full control to the group 'everyone' is awful practice and shouldn't really be done. However when used in a home environment I suppose it's not that much of a problem.

Thank you very much, I knew there'd be a simple way to do it but I got fed up looking in the Network and Sharing Centre for the answer.

Thanks again!

Network Hub
    Be careful granting full control to all users. If someone deletes a file on your hard drive it will skip the recycle bin and be gone forever. The rule of thumb for network access is to grant the bare minimum that will get the job done.

Be careful while granting full access to your computer from other computers due to various virus attacks. You can try using various remote support tools such as logmeinrescue, gosupportnow, GoToMyPC etc. in order to establish remote connection between your PC and other computers.