Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Fez developer has realised that his XBOX exclusive deal was a shit idea

http://polytroncorporation.com/were-...atch-the-patch

We all know MS are massively, massively out-of-touch with gaming - only a total idiot would take an exclusivity deal in a dying marketplace run by a company with no clue - and this is one such idiot.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I think you're being a little harsh there. XBLA is incredibly successful...when Microsoft wants it to be. The summer of arcade things they did, before they got diluted with crap and introduced similar things throughout the year, proves that great titles, some even challenging full retail releases, have a significant market place that is incredibly viable. Going XBLA/PSN is not a bad idea. Is it as good as PC? Between the two consoles, you have a large potential audience. Perhaps bigger than the same amount on the PC? Hard to say. It's a numbers game. In this case, the numbers didn't go through in favour, but who knows, if it prompts them to release on the PC and it proves to be successful, well then, that was successful.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

So... They payed mycrosoft for an xbox exclusivity? that definetly sounds like a bad deal.

I suspect the reason XBLA hasn't been overhauled is because it has no future and will be folded into Windows Marketplace or something similar. Until that happens the drones are just going through the motions.
    Last edited by Rii; 19-07-2012 at 01:50 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    As much as I like to shit on MS, in this case it's the developers who are shit.

We’re bringing the first FEZ patch online.
    It’s the same patch.

We’re not going to patch the patch.

Why not? Because microsoft would charge us tens of thousands of dollars to re-certify the game.

And because as it turns out, the save file delete bug only happens to less than a percent of players. It’s a shitty numbers game to be playing for sure, but as a small independent, paying so much money for patches makes NO SENSE AT ALL. especially when you consider the alternative. Had FEZ been released on steam instead of XBLA, the game would have been fixed two weeks after release, at no cost to us. And if there was an issue with that patch, we could have fixed that right away too!

We believe the save file corruption issue mostly happened to players who had completed, or almost completed the game. If you hadn’t already seen most of what FEZ had to offer, your save file is probably safe. It doesn’t happen if you start a new game.

We believe the current patch is safe for an overwhelming majority of players.

The patch fixes almost everything that’s been wrong with the game since launch. The framerate issues, the loading, the skips, the death loops, everything! All that stuff is fixed! And right now, nobody can get to it since the patch was pulled. For 99% of people, it makes FEZ a better game.

To the less-than-1% who are getting screwed, we sincerely apologize. We know this hurts you the most, because you’re the ones who put the most times into the game. And this breaks our hearts. We hope you dont think back on your time spent in FEZ as a total waste.

Microsoft gave us a choice: either pay a ton of money to re-certify the game and issue a new patch (which for all we know could introduce new issues, for which we’d need yet another costly patch), or simply put the patch back online. They looked into it, and the issue happens so rarely that they still consider the patch to be “good enough”.

It wasn’t an easy decision, but in the end, paying such a large sum of money to jump through so many hoops just doesn’t make any sense. We already owe microsoft a LOT of money for the privilege of being on their platform. People often mistakenly believe that we got paid by Microsoft for being exclusive to their platform. Nothing could be further from the truth. WE pay THEM.

So we’re going to go ahead and put Title Update back online, and for a vast majority of people it’s going to make FEZ a better game.

Thank you for your understanding and continuing support.

Sincerely,

The Polytron Team
    First of all: Don't release games that are still buggy on a closed platform like a console.
    Leme say it again: CLOSED PLATFORM, no excuse for having bugs at release since the hardware and software is the same for everyone.
    It's not because consoles can now go online too that it's suddenly ok to skimp on QA ,the ONE advantage the console boxes used to have was the games on them being stable and generally bugfree.
    This puts them automatically in the wrong.

Second: So it is perfectly fixable, but because they would have to pay those dicks at MS,they are going to give the people who bought their game the finger? OH YES that will teach microsoft, they are super sensitive to their customers being fucked up the ass! It will keep them up at night!

I hope that if they ever try to publish on steam, that steam will reject these rejects. I know I will never buy a game of theirs.
    Last edited by Finicky; 19-07-2012 at 01:58 AM.

To be fair, the reason they don't pay microsoft is not to show them a leson, it's because they just can't afford it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Given how many times Fez got pushed back... I agree. Fuck 'em. I'm certainly not buying it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I only got to play it for about three hours before hitting a bug where it crashed after 15 seconds in game. Three months on and still waiting for a patch to fix it. I don't really care for them blaming Microsoft - I've played plenty of XBLA games, none of which have had such problems, either getting patches out, or testing the game well enough to not have those problems in the first place. It's utter incompetence.

Yes, it's a privilege to get on XBLA, get to sell your game at a premium price-point and get a tonne of exposure you wouldn't otherwise have. The flipside of that is you don't get the play the 'poor little indie developer' card anymore. You're held to certain standards.

And let's not forget, it's a $10 game, they've sold 100,000 copies, even if they only keep half of that, that's half a million. At which point, 10 grand for a second go at fixing the game doesn't seem so unreasonable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Who would pay to be exclusive?

I would think MS pays Acti for CoD early releases and Sony pays EA for BF early releases.

Why would you develop for one platform so late in the console cycle, when it has been proven time and time again XBLA hurts you more in the long run?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I can't remember what it was regarding, but I'm sure I remember a dev saying a patch cost $40,000 for any 360 title (ie. XBLA or retail). Of course, there could be varying degrees of cost versus, say, size.

Reading a bit more, it seems maybe this dev is a bit of a jerk? It's the impression I seem to get from The Internet. Despite this, it's wholly unfortunate and a shame MS won't really address what is a growing problem. As XBLA increased in popularity, these sort of things need to be reconsidered.