If you reckon that it costs at least 10K for someone to live for a year BEFORE they spent money on computers, software, licensing etc. - and that MS are likely taking at least 30% (after sales tax of course) - 5 years of making a game leaves you needing to make

50K / 70 * 100 * 1.2(*) = just under 86K!!!

As for takings - 800pts (which we'll call 6 for the sake of being nice) means 14333 copies have to be sold - they reckon Day 1 sales are often half the total you'll sell (at full price) and SMB did almost 20K (twice what Braid did) wheras Fez has been called "not as high a grosser as earlier titles but successful" so we'll assume first day sales in the high thousands would be about right (MS view 5,000 as 'successful' apparently) so ,maybe. - just ...

He did get some funding years back BUT he also wasn't working along which DOUBLES his those costs - and he's had to pay for other stuff (lawyers etc.) - offices - exhibition space etc.

I don't think people grasp how much it costs to develop a game - one of my little mobile games, even at minimum wage, would have cost a couple-of-grand to produce (yes, I do it for love!) :)

(*) 15% Sales Tax is less than the UK rate and more than most US rates...