Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Okami View Post
    You have no idea about how game development works, do you?
    For 30 years before this console gen releasing a game that deletes your savefiles, crashes your system or won't start a certain level or has any other serious bugs on a console box would have been seen as a mortal sin and have the game media trash it and the community ignore it.

Console games used to undergo elaborate QA testing AFTER they were finished, now they QA test while making changes and then just shit out the latest build online with the logic of 'the community will sift out what issues are left and we'll fix it later' (cheaper and faster than proper QA)

For all these years 99 percent of games on the console boxes were working products without any real bugs (a typo here and there and minor glitch aside) and now suddenly that is no longer possible 'because development'.

I studied IT for 2 years and the very first thing the profs taught us was that if your code isn't solid then it is worthless and that if you deliver something broken (In the real world, for real industries) then you are going to get fucked by your contract and have to pay a large amounts of damages (most likely more than you can afford) to compensate for downtime for whatever factory/company you made your software for.

Regular companies protect themselves by stipulating QA terms in their contracts, gamers are just kids and halfwits who apparently buy whatever shit you toss in their general direction. (publishers are very aware of this)
    Before the console boxes went online, patches were a no go and any dev who wanted to ever sell anything again had to make sure that their shit worked before they sold it to the people.

Ask any console fanboy 10 years ago what they find so great about their closed boxes:in the the top 3 would always be 'the games are stable and always work and aren't buggy and don't need patches to work properly' like on those complicated scary computers.

That's what intrigues me the most. Do I get this right? They made and sold a game with some bugs, released a patch, which introduced new bugs which affect 1% of the playerbase and to fix those they'd like to bring another patch but MS would charge them ten thousands of dollars for some reason and so they don't do it because it's to expensive?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    That is exactly what is going on.
    Apparently neither their fanbase or brand name are worth 10 grand to them (or however much it is). That says everything about what to expect from these guys if you buy something from them in the future.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Ask any console fanboy 10 years ago what they find so great about their closed boxes:in the the top 3 would always be 'the games are stable and always work and aren't buggy and don't need patches to work properly' like on those complicated scary computers.
    In general this is still one of the things that you hear a lot, and they do have a point, there is much less fiddling and fixing to do than on a PC and generally it's is more stable at launch. And even if there is something wrong, with most big game companies, a day later it'll be patched. Of course there are bugs on the consoles too, but it's completely down to the game devs and is not common for it to be something major, rather than something not working on PC, because the drivers are taking too long, or it melts a particular brand of graphics card etc etc.

Plus, there were lots of games that had Killscreens back in the day.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    In general this is still one of the things that you hear a lot, and they do have a point, there is much less fiddling and fixing to do than on a PC and generally it's is more stable at launch. And even if there is something wrong, with most big game companies, a day later it'll be patched. Of course there are bugs on the consoles too, but it's completely down to the game devs and is not common for it to be something major, rather than something not working on PC, because the drivers are taking too long, or it melts a particular brand of graphics card etc etc.

Plus, there were lots of games that had Killscreens back in the day.
    The main difference is that the console versions are often unfixable (hi skyrim ps3), and that if there is a problem and a patch doesn't come that the community can't fix it like on PC.

It's also well known that the MS patching authorisation system causes patches that are out within 2 days for the pc version of a port to often take a month.
    The point remains; patches on a console game should be inexcusable for anyone old enough to remember the world before pokemon.

I've never once seen a gamebreaking bug on a console box in 20+ years of gaming, not once.
    I owned a sega genesis, psx, n64, ps2, xbox 1, gameboy, gba, game gear and SNES and plenty of games for each, not ONCE.
    I'm sure there were a few , but that's arguing semantics because back then it was the same odds as getting struck by lightning.
    Now it's like taking a bath with a toaster.

The point remains; patches on a console game should be inexcusable for anyone old enough to remember the world before pokemon.
    Which is fine in a dream world, sadly in reality when you've got massively more things that can go wrong than ever before, things aren't that simple. They weren't then and you can't just hand wave it away as a rare thing because it wasn't, it's just y'know, there were less points of failure anyway - no online components, no leaderboards, no logins etc... also, the amount of people who would wade through significant amounts of the content then were smaller than now. Lots of things.

There are bugs that no amount of QA will pick up and will only get picked up when something is out there amongst the masses. It happens. With all the best QA in the world, it will happen. With all the testing in the world, it can happen. That's just a thing that happens.

Digital distribution, and I very rarely use this word with intent but I will now, digital distribution *should* make remedying anything that goes untoward pretty straightforward because what's the point of having something like digital distribution if you can't use it to respond to issues promptly?

Really, arguing that people shouldn't patch is just like the most stupid thing I can think of. Because they benefit you. Yes, in an ideal world with a pony and a unicorn and fluffy bunnies everywhere and blowjobs for currency, people shouldn't need to patch games. However, that world doesn't exist so how about we start calling out every platform holder that gets between you and me having better games because of their dick policies towards patching?

As I said earlier, there's loads of games abandoned on XBLA because of this policy and not just indie games. Every time someone wonders why a patch was never forthcoming for what seems like a trivial fix to a console game, well, this is why they never arrive. And telling developers they shouldn't have to patch games in this day and age is only doing yourself out of better things.

So rather than that, at least aim true at the things that can and will benefit you rather than the things that can't and won't happen no matter how much you shout.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times
    Steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Unfortunately you're right, bugs aren't so inexcusable anymore. And this, coupled with the digital age, is exactly why patches should be created and distributed speedily with as few roadblocks as possible - ESPECIALLY on a closed platform which doesn't allow the frustrated fanbase to fix the issues themselves.

Sweet lord I hate the monopolistic nature of consoles. The PC's greatest strength will always be that it's a free market.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    New Zelda had some game breaking bug if you did events in a certain order. One of the few things you seen patched for the Wii.

"
    Apparently the bug is triggered if you complete the Lanayru Desert portion of this quest first, then speak with Golo the Goron in Lanayru Mine, then complete the quest and receive that portion of the song, then go back to the mine and speak with Golo once more. Doing all of these things locks the other two portions of the quest, preventing you from progressing in the game. Unless you have an earlier save file, this means having to start the adventure over. Considering this quest occurs rather late in the game, this is a tragic bug indeed for poor players who encounter it. "
    Goes to show how much QA have to run just even small parts of the game.

Activated Node
    The Phil Fish backlash just goes to show how hilariously thin-skinned gamers can be sometimes*. "BOO HOO THE NASTY MAN SAID A MEAN THING I'M GOING TO BOYCOTT HIS GAME THAT'LL SHOW HIM (but I shall dress up my nose-cutting and face-spiting as principled matter of ethics rather than the toys-out-of-the-pram reaction that it really is)."

The guy didn't punch any babies or drown any kittens. He gave an attention-seeking Twitter prick the reaction he was looking for and everyone threw a shit-fit over it. If that's grounds to boycott his game then JESUS FUCK how do you even make it through the day without getting up in arms over the slightest thing? Presumably you also boycott Nestle and Coca-Cola and other companies that've done actual real-world harm? Or is it okay to shovel money at them, because they didn't say that Japanese games are shit?

* I realise the word "sometimes" is largely redundant.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by tossrStu View Post
    The Phil Fish backlash just goes to show how hilariously thin-skinned gamers can be sometimes*.
    My anger comes from paying $10 for a game and having to wait 3 months for a fix to a stopping bug personally.

Incidentally, the original bug I had was about 3 hours in, the game became unplayable. I had to either restart (no guarantee it wouldn't happen again) or wait. It wasn't a tiny bug, a network error or something like that. It was a full crash, chucked back to the dashboard. To go that wrong on a console... takes some effort.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tossrStu View Post
    He gave an attention-seeking Twitter prick the reaction he was looking for and everyone threw a shit-fit over it.
    Are you saying that he is not himself an attention-seeking Twitter twit?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    Am I the only one who has no fucking clue who Phil Fish is? I've also never even heard of this game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    It's his only game to date, and people only know him because he's ... er... outspoken.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    :O Never has an insult been so undeserved.
    i no, rite? :P
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    Am I the only one who has no fucking clue who Phil Fish is? I've also never even heard of this game.
    Me neither, I just skimmed a couple of articles and pretended I knew what I was talking about. Nobody suspects a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    i no, rite? :P
    You're not a dick! You are... the opposite of a dick. Whatever that is.

Oh.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    An un-dick.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Anything connected to a network need updates. Is something like a rule of cybernetics.

Microsoft asking 10k for a bug fix is just another greedy way to monetize other people work. Steam don't seems to need these cents. These cents are not on the benefit of the players or the devs, are on the benefit of Microsoft.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    An un-dick.
    Nega-dick?

Edit: bick even?

An un-dick.
    The Anti-Bulletstorm.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    It's his only game to date, and people only know him because he's ... er... outspoken.
    Also he won a meaningless award that only an odd group of industry insiders give a crap about. Twice. Before the game was released. Pretty funny.

I'm privileged enough to feel really comfortable about not giving money to people and organizations I don't like. What do I lose from that? Very, very little.