Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    "For one, FEZ will finally be ported to other platforms.
    Yes, i’ve heard you, dozens of people emailing me everyday telling me how much of an idiot i am for not porting FEZ to everything."

http://polytroncorporation.com/state-of-the-polytron

Hopefully it'll run in windowed mode so I don't lose access to my spreadsheets.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I'll throw him a penny when it ends up in a Humble Bundle.

I hope he tweets about it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If you are a indie dev, and other indie devs receive a big part of the profit from the Windows, Mac and Linux version. Releasing your game only for Xbox is shooting your foot 3 times.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    When I started this thread I didn't have a high opinion of Phil Fish

Since then I've watched Indie Game: The Movie - that didn't help matters - no really, he reminded me of the weird guy on the tattoo show I caught last year who had decided to deal with the breakup of his marriage by getting dozens of Miley Cyrus tattoos - that level of 'far gone'...

It's a shame in some ways because Fez is far from terrible - but telling a film crew you'll kill yourself if your game doesn't get released is more than slightly odd behaviour...

Yes, they are so out of touch with gaming they sell millions of consoles and millions of games.

I agree that Phil Fish was a bit strange, but he had dedicated a huge amount of time, effort and emotion into that game. I think that part caught him at a particularly stressful moment.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    It's a shame in some ways because Fez is far from terrible - but telling a film crew you'll kill yourself if your game doesn't get released is more than slightly odd behaviour...
    I wouldn't find that odd for an Indi game developer pinning all their hopes and dreams on one game they've poured much of themselves into. Is it an overreaction? Sure. But certainly not a sign of 'odd behaviour', I bet half the losing contestants on Britian's Got Talent temporarily thought their lives were over.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    I wouldn't find that odd for an Indi game developer pinning all their hopes and dreams on one game they've poured much of themselves into. Is it an overreaction? Sure. But certainly not a sign of 'odd behaviour', I bet half the losing contestants on Britian's Got Talent temporarily thought their lives were over.
    I just reckon it was a sign he'd lost sight of what he was trying to do - he seemed (and still seems) enormously concerned what other people think of him - which is a massive mistake to make.

Artists should be confident in their art and modest in themselves - they should not be seeking personal approval, their art should stand alone .

If you look at Jonathan Blow in the same movie/context, he's more upset that some people didn't "get" this game in the way he intended but he's not threatening to kill himself over it. I find it odd that you'd "put yourself" into a game - I don't see why you'd do that - but you have to accept what everyone takes art as they find it (and indeed most people take it beyond where the artist left it!!)

By expecting a certain reaction to your art you're just turning it into some sort of personal validation - and believe me, that's not a wise thing to do with most things and it's ESPECIALLY bad with games because the average Internet gamer is not the sort of person who'll say "Oh, not my sort of thing but GOOD EFFORT" :)

In fact, as someone who's been putting stuff out for a long time - I'd say it's harder now that it's ever been to get people to say nice things about what you do - hell it's hard to get people to say ANYTHING about it because there's a lot of noise out there.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorzan View Post
    To be fair, the reason they don't pay microsoft is not to show them a leson, it's because they just can't afford it.
    There is no freaking what that that is true, unless they are the most fiscally irresponsible idiots in game development (which they may very well be). They were the top selling game on XBLA for multiple weeks, and they can't afford another $10,000 submission. I call bullshit.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by kstress71 View Post
    There is no freaking what that that is true, unless they are the most fiscally irresponsible idiots in game development (which they may very well be). They were the top selling game on XBLA for multiple weeks, and they can't afford another $10,000 submission. I call bullshit.
    "Afford" is such a malleable term - I'm pretty sure Fez didn't do anything like as well as SMB - or before that Braid - but 'afford' is relative anyway.

I'm not sure I'd want to pay $10,000 to correct my own mistake - but then I'd not have signed-up to a deal which included that sort of condition because I'm not daft!!

I am at this very moment trying to build a new version of one of my Android games because some code which has worked FLAWLESSLY in 4 other games is crashing relentlessly in my new one and I have NO idea why - so I'd have to pay to release a version which just contains enough hooks to see what people are doing to break it (that 10s of 1000s of people before them didn't!!) and pay AGAIN to release a fix!!!!

This shit happens a lot too - this isn't the first time I've been met with errors from code which has previously been AOK. I'm not down on PF for not fixing stuff, I'm down on his way of handling it. He turned it into a "you don't deserve me fixing my own game" which is yet again him making the whole thing into something personal to him - which it isn't.

That said, in the IG:TM he spent eons lamenting how he might not be able to show his game at PAX (due to his ex business partner not signing a contract) and then when he does show it (without that signature) he's using a build from the previous day which crashes almost instantly. That, to me, says there's a lot wrong with his way of developing software full stop.
    Last edited by trjp; 03-01-2013 at 04:43 PM.

What's this? Bad things happening to worse people?

Excellent!
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooop View Post
    What's this? Bad things happening to worse people?

Excellent!
    They call it 'television' - lots of programmes designed to show people who are dumber/more venal/more shallow/dirtier/poorer parents/poorer dog owners and so on, than you are. That's the primary purpose of TV now - to allow people to feel better about themselves by showing worse people :)

Network Hub
    I just reckon it was a sign he'd lost sight of what he was trying to do - he seemed (and still seems) enormously concerned what other people think of him - which is a massive mistake to make.
    He is! It's the best part about mocking him.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Do you think the new Spelunky also is XBox exclusive ? Or is Derek Yu just crapping on PC gamers ?
    pass

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by tossrStu View Post
    The Phil Fish backlash just goes to show how hilariously thin-skinned gamers can be sometimes*. "BOO HOO THE NASTY MAN SAID A MEAN THING I'M GOING TO BOYCOTT HIS GAME THAT'LL SHOW HIM (but I shall dress up my nose-cutting and face-spiting as principled matter of ethics rather than the toys-out-of-the-pram reaction that it really is)."
    I'm sorry, are you saying we're supposed to just forgive and forget when someone acts like a prat?

I mean, Fish is more than a bit of a megalomaniacal jerk. He has this huge ego about his own work, despite it being proven to be flawed. He's insulted many many people, including "gamers" in general, and he abused the IGF system to the point where they changed the rules to avoid that in the future.

Despite all that you're saying what precisely? That it's irrational to want to discourage people from being obnoxious, self-important, abusive asses? On the contrary, I think that it's responsible to remember what someone says and does, and to make a decision about whether or not to support them on the sum of their actions as a whole. Fish has been horrendously spoiled, and is toxic to those around him, and to support that would be foolish.

There's nothing immature about making that call.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    They call it 'television' - lots of programmes designed to show people who are dumber/more venal/more shallow/dirtier/poorer parents/poorer dog owners and so on, than you are. That's the primary purpose of TV now - to allow people to feel better about themselves by showing worse people :)
    And the only thing better than watching them fail is watching their shows get cancelled.

I'M LOOKING AT YOU, JERSEY SHORE.

You're next, Shahs of Sunset.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vesuvius View Post
    I'm sorry, are you saying we're supposed to just forgive and forget when someone acts like a prat
    I don't know much about the guy aside from that he said "Your games just suck" to a Japanese developer (a sentiment I more or less agree with), called Nalano a dickhead (a sentiment I more or le-) and refused to pay the outrageous fixed Microsoft price for patching a game. And yes, clearly to that last one he should never have agreed to it in the first place, just like the makers of Project Zombioid should never have kept their backup game version in the same place as the original.

We're talking about Indi developers here, amateurs running on dreams. Many of them don't know shit about business, a lot of them don't spin the usual flat marketing responses you'll get from big corporations, and some of them are kinda assholes. Gamers forget those last two all the time, and they go insane with rage.

By all means point out when someone does something wrong, but ask yourself, really ask yourself whether whoever you're criticising deserves this level of hatred. Not everyone can be Notch, nor should they be.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    a lot of them don't spin the usual flat marketing responses you'll get from big corporations
    If anything, they act as living examples as to why corporations give flat, canned responses.

Also, I'm really more of an asshole. Anal expulsive: That's me.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Meh. I'll wait for the reviews. If the games good then I'll buy it. If it sucks shit I won't. My understanding is it's a love letter to old console games of old, however given I have almost zero console legacy that nostalgia loving is lost on me.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

I think it's a pretty decent game, if a bit of a slow burner. It definitely has a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by kstress71 View Post
    I call "by the time Microsoft have taken their cut and by the time you've paid off everything that needs paying off for 5 years worth of development, you're lucky if you've got enough left to buy some cat food".

But nobody talks about these bits of dev because why would you? Devs just write games, people just want to play games. Console deals can be massive money spinners but the Trials 2, Minecraft etc... are few and far between now.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times
    Steam