Activated Node

SB temp says 34 celcius, jumps up to 95, should I be worried?

First off, my technowizard skills are limited.

I've been experiencing sudden shutdowns these past months. First thought the problem was with my graphic cards running too hot. Then I tried running with just one but still the crashes persist.
    I'm pretty sure its not my RAM blocks overheating (have a corsair fan ontop of the 2 I have).
    My temperature readings now point me towards the NB and SB. I run PC Probe II V1.04.76. All my temperatures look more than fine, with CPU on a constant 15 degrees (watercooled) and NB 34 and SB 34-38ish. Except now when I keep PCprobe running, SB suddenly jumps from 34 to 95 and then back, leading me to think the sensor or the program is faulty and I have a very hot SB.
    Should I be worried the readings aren't accurate, even faulty? From what I've read NB and SB temperatures should be kept below 90 degrees. And now I've just read pcprobe isn't the most trustworthy when it comes to reading temperatures. Any suggestions?

Specs are as follows:
    Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Extreme
    Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX (x2, only running with one now)
    RAM: 2xKingston 2MB blocks
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    "CATS", he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

CPU on a constant 15 degrees? That sounds wrong to me, surely it would be at least ambient room temperature, unless your water-cooling system is connected to a fridge. At 15 degrees I'd probably expect to start attracting condensation. Mind you, if your summer is anything like ours 15 degrees could be ambient temperature.

If you suspect heat, try running with the case open. An overheating south bridge sounds odd to me, the only reason I could see why that would happen is a faulty motherboard, and even then it would be rare.

What processor do you have and what is it overclocked to? Also the model of your motherboard might help, ASUS Maximus Extreme is a family of boards. Thirdly, when do these shutdowns occur, running games, after so long of the PC being on, or when you are stroking the cat?

Activated Node
    The CPU is the only part I currently have watercooled but as you say 15 degrees constantly, even under load, does sound odd. I'm starting to doubt pcprobes readings.

The CPU I have is a Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU, E8500 @ 3.16GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz, not overclocked.

Just looked for the case the motherboard came in when I bought it but couldn't find it, must still be at my parents house where my brother and I built it. Used the program Everest to find out the model, chipset is X38, is this what you are asking for or should I be looking elsewhere? It should be this one http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Int...ximus_Extreme/.

And the shutdowns occurs when playing games over a long period.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Did you try cleaning dust out of the computer? And how is the case airflow set up?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldspar View Post
    If you suspect heat, try running with the case open.
    Maybe it's just an old wives' tale but I've heard this can seriously screw up your computer. Your PC relies on airflow but leaving the case off heats the stagnant air beside it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djbriandamage View Post
    Maybe it's just an old wives' tale but I've heard this can seriously screw up your computer. Your PC relies on airflow but leaving the case off heats the stagnant air beside it.
    If you have set up your airflow well, with intake and exhaust fans and all that, taking off the side cover screws up the airflow and thereby reduces cooling efficiency. That's pretty well established.

Activated Node
    Just got home from work, lets see.

Airflow was one of the things my brother helped me with. Have a nice coolermaster case with good inlets/outlets for airflow. Almost all cables are tucked neatly away in a small, uh, space between the outer case and the rest of the interior of the case. And I regularly clean my pc for dust with a can of compressed air.

I just find it strange that pcprobe suddenly jumps from 34 degrees to 95 on SB and then back and forth.
    I'll be keeping an eye on it for the next few days. Who knows, when it comes to computers trouble can come from so many directions, perhaps its something else entirely thats my problem *shrugs*.

Anywho, thanks for the attention gentlemen.
    Death thought about it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Could try something like http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html to see if it is just a pcprobe issue.

Okay, so you've got a water-cooled non-overclocked processor, your airflow's sorted and yet your computer sounds like it could be over-heating.

I'd check the pump on the watercooler, although I guess you probably know if that's working. Your funny readings on the SB can't actually be accurate so that's an issue with the software or the temperature probe, my guess is that this isn't a symptom, just something unrelated that your investigations have thrown up.

Compare your CPU temperatures with Core Temp and your southbridge with HWMonitor to the app you're using. 93c is hot as hell- I doubt it's an accurate reading, and hopefully that'll bear out with these other programs.

15c CPU under load is also, frankly, a little too good to be true (unless your CPU cooling system is totally amazing, which I guess it might be.)

*Note that there are plenty of posts about how HWMonitor gives funny readings as well. Gl.