Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

GoG being hypocrites?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...sage-to-gamers

Considering they currently have a massive sale on, only a few months ago they were critisising steam for doing the same.
    If graphics are not important why spend so much on a GPU?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I think they are hitting out more on the daily deals and such but that article is over a year old. Businesses change with the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    I think they are hitting out more on the daily deals and such but that article is over a year old. Businesses change with the market.

Well yeah, I stated that. But I just find it laughable how quickly they do away with their 'principles' when they see others making money hand over fist.

What is that saying? "Time makes fools of us all"? indeed.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Also, they have been doing these sales during the entirety of their existence. So it isn't really a changing business model at all

Also, they specifically complain about the 80% off, so one can argue that their 75% discounts aren't there.

Or, you can consider: GoG discounts a 10 dollar game to 5 dollars (unless you buy a bundle). Steam has discounted 50 dollar games to 10 dollars. Pretty big difference there.

And the argument that it is making gamers think games aren't worth all that much is DEFINITELY true. Just look at the other thread for people bitching that a GoG game was only 50% off rather than 75% off. Or the current mentality of "that 10-15 dollar indie game looks good, but I'll wait until it is 5 dollars". Now, whether or not that is true/good is up to you, but I think that we, as PC gamers, tend to undervalue our games these days on the simple fact that it is very easy to get a large quantity for cheap.

Also
    Rambourg admitted, though, that sales encourage people to try games they're not sure about. He called for a "happy medium" between the two extremes, something that gives gamers "a chance to take a risk without feeling like they've gotten a bad deal, and pricing things so cheaply that you tell gamers, 'this game I made isn't worth very much.'"

So yeah, a suggestion: read the article before accusing people of hypcorisy.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    So yeah, a suggestion: read the article before accusing people of hypcorisy.
    But words hard, and I must hate.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Yeah, GoG's primary market is old games, so this doesn't really apply to them. I still think we're closer to the 'happy medium' than Rambourg admits though. How many Steam users have an unplayed games list a mile long? They can't seem to say no. Not to mention digitally distributed PC games can generate a healthy profit for years. That's quite exciting.

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopig View Post
    Well yeah, I stated that. But I just find it laughable how quickly they do away with their 'principles' when they see others making money hand over fist.

What is that saying? "Time makes fools of us all"? indeed.
    So you're actually complaining that they're sometimes selling a lot of good games for less money? Also, that saying comes from Eric Temple Bell, a writer of whom one book is called G.O.G. 666. Talk about coincidence.
    But where did he come from, this fleck of spite in an abandoned paradise?

I am not complaining, I am not hating. I am having a light hearted joke. God you people take things to extremes. I don't have loayalty to any shop be it steam, gog, origin or whatever, I buy games where I can get them cheapest so it is nothing to do with favouring one over the other.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Also see EA essentially saying the same thing and oh what is that Origin has lots of sales. Also a lot of games on that Gog sale are 80% off.

I can't wait until the 75% off or whatever price is the actual price games are going to be at, with the amount of sales only like a week after games are released it seems to be going that way!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I am not complaining, I am not hating. I am having a light hearted joke.
    No you're not...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    That article is from 2012.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    No you're not...

I think I am more qualified to say what I am and what I am not doing thanks petal.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    That article is from 2012.
    Nothing gets past you does it :p

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I think I am more qualified to say what I am and what I am not doing thanks petal.
    Maybe you aren't intending to, but you are definitely coming across as an incredibly bitter person who is just pulling stuff out of his ass in order to push an idiotic agenda.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    I think their main criticism was over the really deep cut sales on Steam (the 80-90%) ones. I'm as guilty as anyone of having bought games when they're discounted that much simply because it was too good a bargain to pass up at the time, even though in reality I wasn't that interested in playing the game at the end of the day. I'm sure Blur & Test Drive unlimited are great games, but I honestly do not for the life of me understand why on earth I bought them because I have less than zero interest in driving games in truth.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I am not complaining, I am not hating. I am having a light hearted joke.
    Strange how nobody ever seems to laugh at your 'jokes'.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Only in the gaming community could there be people who complain when things are put on sale too much. I can just imagine someone from gog reading this and thinking "Well fuck it, what more can we do?".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Only in the gaming community could there be people who complain when things are put on sale too much. I can just imagine someone from gog reading this and thinking "Well fuck it, what more can we do?".
    People get emotionally attached to the developers though, to the point where they toss money at things just because they like the devs (or on the other hand, withhold or threaten to withhold cash from devs/pubs they don't like). Nobody goes out and buys six toilet seats just because that toilet seat was made by a group of saints, but they will go and buy 6 copies of Retro Indie Platformer #429 because they like the devs.
    Nalano's Law - As an online gaming discussion regarding restrictions grows longer, the probability of a post likening the topic to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea approaches one.
    Soldant's Law - A person will happily suspend their moral values if they can express moral outrage by doing so.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Nobody goes out and buys six toilet seats just because that toilet seat was made by a group of saints
    There is always a guy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Maybe you aren't intending to, but you are definitely coming across as an incredibly bitter person who is just pulling stuff out of his ass in order to push an idiotic agenda.
    Pot, meet Gundato...