Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    I remember enjoying Shadowman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_...8video_game%29), which took place in a non-linear world with Tomb Raider style gameplay and an intriguing setting.

Someone mentioned Battlezone earlier - no idea why it didn't make a bigger impression than it actually did - it was incredibly ambitious and I found it very playable.
    There is nothing more powerful than a bad idea who's time has come...

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Pertusaria View Post
    (and the manual for Sim Life was lovely).
    That it was. I remember I got SimLife for my 11th or 12th birthday. Unfortunately, we were on family vacation in Hungary at the time of my birthday, so all I could do with that gift until we got home was... reading the manual. It was really nice for passing the time on the 16 hour car drive at least...

Something not quite as old: Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader. It's a RPG with an interesting story and setting (an alternate history renaissance Europe with magic in which mongol goblins and an undead Jeanne d'Arc are just some of the crazy things you come across). Unfortunately suffers from having a great start with lots of dialogue, choices and nice ideas, but devolves into more or less straight up hack and slash later in the game. If someone is interested, it's 60% off on GoG right now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harhis23 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you are referring to Formula One Grand Prix.
    yeah!! Intro was sick

Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Obscure Node
    Original War.
    One of my all time favorites. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_War

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by johnki View Post
    Ah, I remembered another one. Magestorm. Pretty unique game, that one. Oh, and Avara too.
    Magestorm is still around. I play it everyday. lol Google "Magestorm Revival" and it'll come up.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Since I just remembered I was fond of it, I'll throw War Wind in here. SSI's answer to Warcraft 2, not nearly as elegant, not much in the way of multiplayer, but, as I recall it, refreshing after tiring my eyes and brain out on Blizz cartoons and symmetrical factions, with a few solid innovations for the genre, a fresh/weird setting and interesting units. It got average/good reviews, but it was overshadowed by its contemporaries.

It's on Abandonia; I also still have a disc. I'm pretty sure I had it running in XP, but it just blackscreens in 7. I got tired of restarting after fiddling with compatibility modes and such.

Almost nobody remembers X-Wing anymore. Well, nobody born in the 90s anyway
    Art blog here.

Stuffed with pokemon doodles. And arse. Enter at your own risk.

Obscure Node
    I made an account because of this thread. Meridian 59 and The Realm entertained me like nothing else at the time.
    There is a GDC postmortem on Meridian which got me all nostalgic:
    http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1016637...ortem-Meridian

Quote Originally Posted by Spengbab View Post
    That's the one where you micro the fuck out of a carrier and it's vehicles, right? It played really nice, I loved the different vehicles, but I always thought how much more wonderful it would be if it had multiplayer, or at least NPCs fighting alongside you. Seemed a bit silly to have a bighuge carrier and only 1 vehicle active at any one time.
    I bought Hostile Waters during the GOG sale for the princely sum of £2.

You can have quite a few vehicles active at once, depending on how many soulchips you have (which allow vehicles to be AI controlled).

It is a good game, quite innovative with an engaging storyline. The only real problem with it is that the pacing is uneven.

Also the guy who does the briefing voiceover (Bishop?) now does the trailers for my local radio station.

One game that I never see on this type of thread is Starship Troopers:Terran Ascendency. It came out just after the Paul Verhoven film which it is based on. Quite a good sqaud based shooter but it hasn't aged well.

Another game that seems to have been forgotten is Abomination. Its like a combat heavy real time X-COM with the strategic view almost completely removed.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    I don't know if it was said on one of the previous pages, but Advent Rising. I really liked that game and couldn't wait to play the sequel (it was a planned trilogy), but the game didn't sell well and the other two games in the series were cancelled.

Metal Fatigue was pretty awesome. I loved the customization of the mechs and the multi-level combat.
    the balancing and the netcode were pretty bad sadly. I hoped for a sequel but appaerently it didn't sell too well

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    The Punisher (the recent-ish one).

Not the worst game in the world, and certainly not the best, but I had a hell of a good time with it.
    Which one? The third-person one from 2005 or the first-person online one from 2009?

Quote Originally Posted by augustuskent View Post
    Way of the Samurai is one of the greatest games I have ever played, and I have no idea why.
    Because it was brilliant. The combo system was well-made and every sword you picked up came with a new set of moves. And for the completely insane, there was a hardcore one-hit-kill/death mode.
    Last edited by Shooop; 30-12-2012 at 01:48 PM.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Return Fire. Would love an update with online play.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    What I remember most about Metal Fatigue was a multiplayer map we played at a LAN after picking it up cheap copies for everyone from a budget rack. The map was the only one to feature an unmanned alien mech in the center surrounded by dozens of powerful alien tanks, so whoever managed to get to the mech first with a crew and bring it back for research would inevitably end up winning the surface map.

In the match we played one player picked up the mech and destroyed everything on the surface, while another went on to dominate the underground. Which is where the balance issues come in, since it was almost impossible to win in such a situation because neither player could as much as touch the other, so we had to end it in a draw.

Very unusual game though.

Obscure Node
    sins of a solar empire could be listed?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    Almost nobody remembers X-Wing anymore. Well, nobody born in the 90s anyway
    The successor X-Wing vs. Tie-Fighter seems fairly well remembered. I have vague memories of it. Fond, but vague. 1998 was, it turns out, a while ago. Wikipedia says it's from 1997, but I think I played it first in 1998. I remember Yoshi's Island damn near perfectly though, and that I was playing at about the same time.

How do the two compare? Bearing in mind I vaguely remember one and never played the first.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Quote Originally Posted by Sproutmask View Post
    I remember enjoying Shadowman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_...8video_game%29), which took place in a non-linear world with Tomb Raider style gameplay and an intriguing setting.
    I remember this game. Some of the areas were crazy large and easy to get lost in and I liked how the game wasn't as strict about what the order you got certain items in compared to similar games.

Those darn butcher pig things were mean if you didn't have much space to move around in.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Had a small LAN with my buddies this week, and we played Airfix Dogfighter, a silly but enjoyable little game. The main attraction is that all the environments are rooms in a house, and you are of course a small model plane flying around table legs and bookshelves. Brings that old Micro Machines game to mind.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Makes me think of Toy Commander (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HjVbEZgtjU) on Dreamcast. Will have to check it out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by digirob10 View Post
    sins of a solar empire could be listed?
    Maybe the latest release (Rebellion), or the online multiplayer. You can get great fun games out of it.

SOTS made news everywhere when it was released. Sold well for alower budget game, even made it to Retail everywhere (Got my original copy at wal mart). Plus with it Stardock was investing more into Impulse by then. I guess forgotten in everyone's mind playing the latest big indie or AA title.
    Last edited by Moraven; 31-12-2012 at 04:11 PM.