Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    As was mentioned in the RTS thread, Metal Fatigue. Great game, but it did have its issues. I still wish it would have been more popular and seen a sequel.

The Punisher (the recent-ish one).

Not the worst game in the world, and certainly not the best, but I had a hell of a good time with it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Second Sight.
    Free Radical did something other than TimeSplitters, but apparently the world forgot.
    Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy

This was the Prototype vs Infamous of last gen lol

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy

This was the Prototype vs Infamous of last gen lol
    Another game I can't find anywhere. It was free but ad-supported on Fileplanet for ages with a few other games, and then out of nowhere it just disappeared.

Hammerfight, Tobe's Vertical Adventure and Alien Zombie Megadeath weren't bad. Altitude was pretty good.
    Noitu Love 2 Devolution is a ridiculously amazing game that everyone should own. And no one talked about it, even after the bundle. And it makes me sad. Seriously this is the most fast-paced action game I've ever played.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Machines, old RTS from Acclaim and Charybdis, both defunct. One of the first 3D RTS, some unusual mechanics, a neat setting and style.

Novastorm, really fun shoot-em-up using prerendered background that interacted with the moving crafts made by Psygnosis.

Transport Tycoon, arguably (in my opinion) Chris Sawyer's best game. Managing to make transport management fun is an achievement in and of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    Apart from that, looking at my list of games on Steam made me realize that I've never heard anyone talk about Hydrophobia: Prophecy and to be quite honest, I don't even remember what it was about.
    Whereas I haven't bought or played it and still remember what it was about because it made quite a splash here on RPS.

Pirates of the Carribean (The Bethesda game, which was meant to be Sea Dogs II).

If it was available on GoG or something I'd buy it instantly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Bioforge, released by Origin in 1995. A groundbreaking game in a great many respects, and well ahead if its time. It was an action-adventure set in the far future in which you played an amnesiac (mostly before it was cliche) cyborg awakening imprisoned in a research base on a deserted planet, just as some mysterious calamity has caused (amost) everyone to evacuate.

3D characters in a gorgeous world. Exploration, puzzle solving, and fighting. Damage was displayed on the player model, and injuries caused you to gradually become crippled. It had an exceptionally well realised world and fiction, relayed through the generous manual and through logs and diaries you would find scattered around (again, before that became cliche). Tense, interesting and varied, although somewhat let down by clunky controls.

It's almost never mentioned, but you can see traces of its influence in System Shock and subsequent Looking Glass games.

For all the praise Doom and Quake gets, Heretic and Hexen usually gets left behind even if they're just as good. Or better.

Quote Originally Posted by Oshada View Post
    Pirates of the Carribean (The Bethesda game, which was meant to be Sea Dogs II).

If it was available on GoG or something I'd buy it instantly.
    Loved that game when I was a kid but I didn't go anywhere beyond the sea as I played it on a toaster. Somehow reminds me a lot of Mount&Blade, though.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Cybermage.

Ah, I remembered another one. Magestorm. Pretty unique game, that one. Oh, and Avara too.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
    Hammerfight, Altitude
    I played through Hammerfight and came to the conclusion I got a very weird ending. Then I found out that there's multiple endings, depending on your victories/losses and decisions during the game. Pretty damn amazing for such an underground title. I gues that the mouse-movement is a bit too intensive for most people to put up with.

Also, I was a GOD at Altitude, fuck I loved that game, played it to death. But as all things go, there's other stuff to be played. It wasn't that unknown, quite a lot of servers and people online, and it got promoted via Steam a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Voon View Post
    For all the praise Doom and Quake gets, Heretic and Hexen usually gets left behind even if they're just as good. Or better.
    And one even more forgotten is Heretic 2. The general reaction to it at the time was generally positive but not massively so and it eventually slipped through the cracks eventually when bigger games grabbed the attention from it. It shifted the view from first person to third person and introduced some more movement to the gameplay, but in my opinion it was such a wonderfully designed game all-around. Great levels, great weapons, at the time wonderful graphics and great gameplay. A bit of a lacklustre ending, mind you, but otherwise IMO it's one of the hidden treasures of gaming and I really wish it'd appear on digital stores one day.
    Last edited by Flint; 21-07-2012 at 08:28 AM.
    Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I bet not even 20% of you here heard or played SOLDIERS OF ANARCHY x)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyFire View Post
    Machines, old RTS from Acclaim and Charybdis, both defunct. One of the first 3D RTS, some unusual mechanics, a neat setting and style.
    I remember that one! Have the discs around here somewhere. I remember that every time I tried to play it, it'd crash to the desktop for some stupid reason. I do remember though that you could take control of pretty much any unit and fight it out in an FPS-style thing.

I was going to say the Pandemic Battlezone games but someone's already beaten me to it.

I'll add Trespasser, not because it was a good game (because it wasn't) but because it was incredibly ambitious and was possibly the first FPS game to feature those see-saw puzzles that Valve make us solve with pretty much every Half Life game (except the first). Oh, and Command and Conquer: Renegade!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    There was a game I thought was Bioforge, you play two cyborgs, or maybe a cyborg and human. Similar control scheme and viewpoints.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout_XL View Post
    Mail Order Monsters
    Paradroid
    Powermonger
    Total Annihilation
    Dune (1992)
    Epyx's Summer/Winter/World Games series
    The first dune was amazing!! it's easily one of my favorite games :)

Anyone knows if there's a similar game out there?

just to be sure i'm talking about this.
    and an added bonus for whoever liked the game, or at least the music an excellent remix

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by johnki View Post
    I've been trying to find it for ages. I haven't found more than the demo. :/
    Whereabouts are you from?

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    I liked the idea of Hammerfight, but the levels where often so cramped you couldn't maneuver properly, which ruined it for me. Stopped playing a couple of levels in because of this. Also the interface was spectacularly poorly explained, with buttons for dropping your weapon being enabled from the start, but no way to get a new one, screwing you and forcing restart and stuff like that.

Hydrophobia had a neat idea, and a vaguely interesting story, but the movement and shooting just felt too flimsy and plastic. The water was gorgeous, but the swimming was tedious. Someone should buy that water engine and use it in a proper game.

---

I would like to hit the gong a bit for the original Duke Nukem. It is certainly one of the Games That Made Me. Me and my brother used to sit and watch our dad play it in the evenings, long before either of us dared to play games ourselves. (When I finally did, I think I started with Jazz Jackrabbit.) I played the shit out of the demo for Duke Nukem 2 when that came. Duke 3D on the other hand struck us as a strange and silly game and we never played it much.