The New Filter - Thoughts & Criticism

This is a thread about the new filter at the top of RPS, because I thought there surely would be one already, so I ended up starting it, in the hopes of helping RPS find its equilibrium, if necessary.

I like the possibilities you can choose, and atleast theoretically blends in nicely with the rest of the site what information overview is concerned.
    However, I seriously dislike it graphically at the moment, because of the border around it and the "current features" pictures. The border is lacking everywhere else, which is why Im thinking its probably an error?

EDIT: I just noticed, its the only with in grey background, the other posts are in white. Maybe thats the reason?
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    So long as the main page is still everything sans filter, I'm good.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    I had to check to know what you were talking about as I jump directly into articles from my RSS feed.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

I'm not really sure having 'Hardware' as one of the categories is useful. The last article to fall under that was more than a month ago, and there are only 2 articles in that category from the last 3 months or so.

I'm not even going to ask what the f*ck is with the 'Reviews' category? Seriously? What the f*ck?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    I'm not even going to ask what the f*ck is with the 'Reviews' category? Seriously? What the f*ck?
    Well since you didn't ask I won't come up with an answer. Oh -- you did ask. Ok, here goes:

I'd guess it has something to do with reviews being an extremely popular kind of article, and a kind of article that RPS writes fairly often.

I think he means why reviews and not wot I think.
    I guess it's the more popular term, but it's not one RPS uses regularly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    WiT is useless to someone whose new to the site. Reviews is a suitable heading.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Having a WiT heading would indeed be useless to new visitors. Perhaps having the alt-text for that option be something along the lines of 'See wot we think' might be a way to appease regulars and ease newcomers into the lingo here.

EDIT:

To address the other filters, they seem nice and functional and all that, but I cannot see myself ever using them. What with my RSS feed and regular visits to the site keeping me abreast of new posts, it's simply not something I need.
    Last edited by Splynter; 24-07-2012 at 04:24 PM.

Like I said... I wasn't asking about the Review section. Why'd you guys need to analyse it so much?

Tikey got it though. T'was a joke... WIT's are quite removed from the typical 'Reviews' that most sites/publications produce. And this can cause some problems with new people... they come along, see a WIT and take umbrage with it... being too subjective, not being objective, the writer being biased or flippant, there being no score etc., etc.... they then comment that "this review is terrible", and then people respond that "it isn't a review, it's a WIT". I was attempting a flippant, frivolous comment about the WIT/Review disconnect.

I'd actually go with the opposite of Splynter's suggestion... Make the category header "Wot We Think" and make the alt-text 'Reviews & Stuff' or similar. The more WITs/Reviews are differentiated, the better... new readers won't go into them expecting a standard 'review', but instead the special RPS WIT way of doing things. Having 'Reviews' as the header, which then leads to 'Wot I Thinks' doesn't help with that differentiation, and instead will just lead new readers to start reading WITs expecting standard reviews.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.

Network Hub
    I think the filters are complementary to the well-curated tags. Anything that makes the site more browsable is alrighty by me.

I like to combat insomnia by clicking a random archive month on RPS' sidebar and reminiscing. This gives me a new way to do it. Thanks for putting me to sleep, RPS!

Embiggenating a picture (such as the image in the Banner Saga article, that's currently at the top of the main page) causes the Filter bar to appear on top of the embiggened image. Can be fixed by embiggening pictures from the article itself (where there is no Filter bar) rather than the front page. But it might catch people out, if they embiggen images from the top of articles near the top of the main page.

It's a good idea but, man, it's ugly!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    As someone who asked for something like this, I think it's useful functionality. (especially now we have a much higher post rate).

But personally I don't find the categories that useful for my needs. I guess that's because my interests run across all the categories, but not for everything in them. Maybe there's nothing we can do about that. (except hardware... urgh).

What I'd really like would be a "Top Stories" category. I find that I don't have time to keep up with all thepsts these days, but I don't want to miss anything important. Yet the filler posts about a new press release or an unimportant new set of DLC aren't really appealing.
    A "Top Stories" category (and RSS Feed) that contained anything that was important, amazing, impressive or of huge interest would be very useful.

(also, as these days I almost exclusively access RPS on my smartphone, it'd be really nice if the wordpress theme was changed to something mobile friendly or responsive. )

Obscure Node
    Is a need to respond to the number of topics to post a topic?

I wouldnt start replying to random topics though. Unless youre one of those AI spambots. Then die.

Anyhow, it improved much over time, I like it now. I dont use it, but I guess someone could.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."