MDK 2 HD finally on Steam next week

I didn't notice this before, and the search engine won't let me search for "MDK" since it's a three letter term only so excuse me if this has been brought up before, but Steam lists the HD remake of MDK 2 for release on Tuesday next week. A bit too late for the Summer Sale, but probably still interesting for those who couldn't be bothered signing up for yet another website and installing yet another tool.
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

I'm not sure whether I should be thanking you, or cursing you for letting me know about that! I adored MDK 2 and the only reason I haven't picked it yet was because it was on Beamdog and I could use that as an excuse.

I'll get my already beleaguered wallet, I suppose.

MDK2HD is done by the same company as the BG2 remake right?

Quote Originally Posted by The First Door View Post
    I'm not sure whether I should be thanking you, or cursing you for letting me know about that!
    You are welcome. :D
    - If the sound of Samuel Barber's "Adagio For Strings" makes you think of Kharak burning instead of the Vietnamese jungle, most of your youth happened during the 90s. -

Do not buy, it is barely an improvement over regular MDK2, and they introduced a handful of audio bugs.

Network Hub
    I vastly prefer the first MDK which is a little finnicky to play nowadays. Even the GOG version takes some tweaking to get working. MDK1 with a modernized engine and higher quality music would pretty much be a godsend. I found MDK2 too puzzly.

Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    You are welcome. :D
    Hehe, indeed! Actually, I'm quite excited to play the game again as I lost my original copy several moves ago. It's been ages and I loved the quirkiness of it!

Hmmm, I might, if I can afford it.
    'Your sacrifice completes my sanctuary of a thousand testicles'
    My Steam profile

Quote Originally Posted by djbriandamage View Post
    MDK1 with a modernized engine and higher quality music would pretty much be a godsend.
    Don't know if that helps much, but at least the MDK1 soundtrack has been released on CD.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    MDK2HD is done by the same company as the BG2 remake right?
    I believe so, making this something of a good precedent. That is, I'm glad to see them selling it somewhere other than Beamdog. Now if they'd just put it on GOG, where it obviously belongs...

I loved MDK, and absolutely detested MDK2. It is awful. I strongly recommend not playing it.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by c-Row View Post
    Don't know if that helps much, but at least the MDK1 soundtrack has been released on CD.
    GOG's version comes with an MP3 soundtrack but it's only so-so quality - ~190kbps VBR. The soundtrack has a lot of strings and orchestral instruments which lose a lot of nuance at low bitrate, but it's way better than the game at least. I bet the game is closer to 64kbps.
    Last edited by djbriandamage; 24-07-2012 at 07:03 PM.