Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    WRC 4! I'm playing it now (though have yet to actually race), I got it from GMG at 25% off with the code GMG25-GRV7N-YY833.

It supports triple monitors 'out of the box', it also supports H-shifters and clutch pedals! And there are wheel configuration options (deadzone, linearity, etc.)!

Edit: after having played it for about an hour, I can safely say I'm very impressed. There's a quick race mode, 'rally' mode where you can do a single rally, single weekend or an entire championship as a real driver or the career mode where you play as you and progress through a, well, a career in which you have to progress from JWRC through to WRC, completing objectives (finishing position and rival to beat) in each weekend. The physics are improved from WRC 3 and are second only to Richard Burns Rally as far as I can tell (they may even be more realistic than RBR, I wouldn't know as I've never driven a rally car, but in terms of challenge, convincingness and fun that's where I'd place WRC 4), sounds are... Pretty much the same, graphics are decent if not amazing, the HUD is nice and minimal to the point where you don't really notice it until you want to read something (if you know what I mean?) but also configurable so you can turn it all off if you want.

Here's a screenshot, there aren't really any graphics options to speak of beyond resolution, Vsync, AA 2 or 4x, FXAA on or off, windowed/fullscreen and... I think that's all (this is 'maxed' at 5040x1050): http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=188777843

All in all, for the £25 I think I paid, I'm very pleased.
    Last edited by neema_t; 25-10-2013 at 12:52 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Prolar Bear's Avatar
    Enticing! Seems like a nice time for sim-arcade crossbreeds, that sector of the PC market is terribly empty. NFS Shift and Grid have their own quirks that may be game breaking for some.
    Not ready to spend that much on a racing game, but I'll probably get it in a sale. Oh by the way I got Euro Truck Simulator 2 for less than 7 Euros on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    I tried WRC4 for a little bit... it was enjoyable, but is it just me or is the force feedback completely awful? All it seems to do is make the wheel heavier.

Network Hub
    Anyone out there on rFactor 2 at the moment? The newly released build is truly epic. It's still a pain to run online with mods of course but the sim really is good when used with ISI's own content. Anyone here up for something? Also, who here plans to join iRacing once it hits Steam (just got Greenlit for those who missed it)?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I dont bother with Iracing, I dont like the pay-model. I do plan on getting rFactor2 though, but not right now :(.
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Quote Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
    Anyone out there on rFactor 2 at the moment? The newly released build is truly epic. It's still a pain to run online with mods of course but the sim really is good when used with ISI's own content. Anyone here up for something? Also, who here plans to join iRacing once it hits Steam (just got Greenlit for those who missed it)?
    If the Steam release motivates them to drop subscriptions or lower the price significantly, I might well pick that up. If not then no, definitely not. Not because I find it particularly egregious or anything, I just really don't want to pay that much. As for rFactor 2, it's too expensive for what it is in my opinion, the demo makes it look like rFactor with a better tyre model and a mod manager. $85 (the lifetime, no subscription price) is too much as far as I can tell.

Network Hub
    I used to think that way then I tried it out and tbh the quality of racing you get whenever you want it is brilliant. The safety rating system and the skill-based matchmaking leads to some amazing close racing, and with the time and effort put into that and the cost of maintaining the servers, the subscription makes sense (also a few times a year they do a year's subscription for 50% off, plus you get money back for doing 8 races every 3 months in a series, so the subs actually don't amount to much).

Re content costs, you can run rookie with no content investment until you're ready to move up to serious racing, and once there again the costs aren't huge given discounts for buying 3 items, etc. Also, the quality of what you get from the laser scanning is amazing, with a decent FFB wheel you feel every bump, the camber of corners is spot on and will disrupt your flow as you'd expect it to adding to the challenge. The cars are also pretty damn good (tbh you can just buy the Skip Barber and you'll have enough to keep you going for a long long time but others like the lotus 49 are also incredible fun). The fact that I get to race sometimes against real professionals is a nice added bonus.

I would argue that if you're serious about your sim racing, and want regular quality races in a competitive championship, nothing can beat it. Obviously it's not worth the investment if you just want a race now and then, but for me, it's become my main game (hence my quietness here) and something into which I've invested considerable time (and as a result I'm vastly improved in my racing on not only iracing but other games as well).
    Last edited by hariseldon; 31-10-2013 at 12:08 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Meh, plenty of sites organize serious championships in a series of different simulators. The fact is, with iRacing as soon as you buy in you get some emotional investment in the game sort of like a bait and switch tactics. I've seen some interesting posts on this subject regarding iRacing.

And really, it is expensive, content wise how sparse it is for a subscription game, and then you still have to buy the new stuff. It also looks a bit meh from what I've seen so far.

Bread?

Anything worth getting in the Steam sale, both arcade and sim?

EDIT: what about Race On and the WTCC 10 packs, are those worth it? And is GT Legends still worth it, considering the GTL mod for Race 07 and PnG3?
    Last edited by Prolar Bear; 28-11-2013 at 08:59 PM.

I'd pick up all Race07 addons that you don't have. I have a feeling GTL isn't worth it, but I haven't played PnG much to be totally sure.

Test Drive Ferrari is ridiculously cheap - for that price it's worth it :) If F1 2013 or WRC4 show up on a daily deal, they might be worth snagging as well.

Thanks for the tip Faldrath! How's Test Drive Ferrari? If it's like NFS Shift, but without the ridiculous input lag (go figure, it was laggy on PS3 when I tried it) then I'll go for it without second thought.

Update: screw it, went for it.
    Last edited by Prolar Bear; 29-11-2013 at 01:15 PM.

I like TD:FRL, I used a cheat to unlock everything. The handling is a bit 'err, what?' but the classic F1 cars are great fun. The F40 Competizione is less so. I don't think I've even tried anything else because the F1 cars were keeping me so entertained, the 125 in particular.

(Skip to about 0:55)

Okay, I have to say I'm enjoying it, wasn't expecting it to be this good. The handling is weighty and takes some time to get used to but it's much better than the Shift 2 I tried. Runs good on my pc too, so far it's a win. I'm curious though, how does it compare with Shift (1 or 2) if any of you have it?

I have Shift2, tried it a few times, could never get to grips with the handling/control setup, both on gamepad and wheel, abandoned it. Which is weird because yeah, TDF feels pretty nice out of the box, with minimal tweaking.

I have both Shifts but I haven't tried them side-by-side with TD:FRL, in fact I haven't played either since I got TD:FRL. I keep meaning to go and try Shift 2 again but I forget I even have it. I seem to recall trying to install a tyre physics mod but it seemed too difficult as some of the tools are apparently unavailable now, which is a shame.

Aw, shame then. Could've been the perfect racing game, since it's got a decent career and car collection\tuning aspects. I like collecting and customizing cars, but there's no real Forza\GT alternative on pc. What would I give for a sim like GTR\Race with a nice single player mode!

Long shot, but possibly not?

Anyone getting/got GT6? SHARE YOUR PSNs! I'm neema_t if you want to add me for possible future racing even though I really suck.

Anybody up for reviving the hotlap competition for Xmas? :D

How's GT6? I don't have a PS3, but it seems like a nice game. Ohwell, I'll wait for pCars I guess.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm up for it! Just been busy lately so I haven't checked out many new tracks, although I want to do a drive on Zandvoort Club anyway, so I'll throw up something this week!

Bread?

Perfect, really like Zandvoort.