Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast
    Network Hub
    I'm interested! Timezone is BST. I'm available most of the week as I'm on leave, so I should be reasonably flexible.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Prolar Bear's Avatar
    Don't have time issues myself. I'm in UTC+1.
    So I guess that the best time is this week after 8-9 BST.

Network Hub
    I'd be up for something. BST here too.

Anybody up for some racing tonight?

Network Hub
    Yes. i've just logged on, in fact.

edit: I'm on the RPS steam group chatroom if anyone wants to hook up.

I'm on the RPS steam chatroom too, peepz.

Network Hub Capt. Eduardo del Mango's Avatar
    Hey! So neema and I have both just got Grand Prix Legends working for the first time in ages. For anyone who doesn't know it's a superb old (1998) sim of the 1967 F1 season that begot NASCAR Racing 2003 that begot iRacing. Modders eventually pulled it to bits, added enormous amounts of stuff to the physics engine and it really is as good as anything out there at the minute. The FFB may lack some of the very high fidelity stuff modern sims have, but the physics themselves are incredibly solid.

So it's a pain in the ass to install, but I've put all the major mod files on a DropBox (link on group page) which makes it a lot easier. Seeing as the original devs (Papyrus) and publisher (Sierra) are now both defunct, and that the boxed copy is getting hard to find, I've put the ISO up too (it installs fine from that). Like I said it's all a bit of a faff installing it, and if you're doing it on Win7 you'll have to add all the .exes as exceptions to DEP, but if anyone's interested in this brilliant and, thanks to the mods, still top-notch simulator, join the Race, Papyrus, Sierra sub-group I've set up and we'll try and get you sorted.

PS the sub-group's only really a place for the DropBox link, figured it'd be best not to have it here or on RPSkid.

GPL '65 - Clermont Ferrand.jpg gpl 2.jpg GPL 3.jpg gpl 4.jpg

Interested also! Timezone is BST, I'm busy all weekend (British Superbikes at Donnington) and also on Monday evening but will then be free all week as I'm off work.

Cool stuff, but I have too many sims installed at once.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    My GPL directory is about 10GB with all the main mods and a handful of tracks installed, just so you know.

Network Hub
    Ah, GPL. As much as I would love to revisit the old days, I think I'll pass. It's a fantastic and well loved game, but it requires a lot of time and effort to get it working, so for that reason I'll give it a miss.

Having a two year old generally means that a game needs to work first/second-time-if-I-wack-it-with-a-hammer if I'm going to bother with it.

Network Hub
    Ah, GPL. As much as I would love to revisit the old days, I think I'll pass. It's a fantastic and well loved game, but it requires a lot of time and effort to get it working, so for that reason I'll give it a miss.

Having a two year old generally means that a game needs to work first/second time if I wack it with a hammer if I'm going to bother with it, such is my limited time/energy/sanity.

Mittens, we're putting NR2003 with the awesome GTP mod up, and that's way way less hassle (the ISO, one patch, one mod, one crack, that's it). Join the group if you'd like in.

PS NR2003 is now out of print, you can only get it second-hand, so I've no qualms about putting the ISO up.

Codemasters sale on Steam, lots of discounted racing titles.

Why the thing for old sims? Aren't they surpassed, or more appropriately overtaken, by the new ones?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I keep seeing people still running GPL but it defeated me "back in the day" - I can't imagine I'll be any better at it now (it really did make nkPro seem approachable - completing a lap was a massive undertaking!!)

NR2003 is a pleasure I never had (I last played Nascar at '4' I think) - but given the stupid prices a copy attracts on eBay and my general aversion to playing games I don't own (esp given the staggering number I do own) I can't see me leaping-at-that (tho I'd been keener on Ovals than GT) - but I am keen to see videos of people enjoying-the-hell out of it ;0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prolar Bear View Post
    Why the thing for old sims? Aren't they surpassed, or more appropriately overtaken, by the new ones?
    GPL hasn't been because there's no other sim around with the same selection of circuits or cars, even in the vanilla version. It has been modded a whole lot since it came out, too, so it's not exactly like we're still playing a 1998 game. Licensing means we'll probably never see a sim with the same selection of cars, though Assetto Corsa, Project CARS, I think rFactor 2 and iRacing all feature the Lotus Type 49; I've not seen any of the other '67 cars in any other sim, and I've definitely not seen the '60s versions of all of those circuits in anything else; '60s Monza, '60s Nürburgring (maybe, I'm not even sure about that), '60s Spa and that's about it. I've only driven two of the four more recent recreations and the Assetto Corsa one still feels off, the Project CARS one is quite good but GPL still feels truer to the reputation those cars had. That doesn't mean GPL is more realistic, of course; reputation tends to be overstated when compared with reality.

Richard Burns Rally (which I don't think anyone was directly talking about, not here anyway) hasn't come close to being replaced yet because no one has tried to make a hardcore rally sim since. There's the Dirt series which was born from Colin McRae Rally, a fairly standard rally game - not quite arcade like Sega Rally, not quite sim like RBR - and there's the WRC series, which only recently got halfway decent as a sim and even now it's still not quite 'there'. Next Car Game looked like it might be quite simmy but last I heard when they changed the engine it became more like FlatOut than it was previously. Rally mods for other games tend to suck as it's just completely different to circuit driving, so yeah, RBR is still the best even if, like GPL, it may be more difficult than reality (I wouldn't know, of course) as old sims tended to be because computers back then couldn't simulate as much as they can now.

NR2003... I've only just installed it so Mango is probably the one to talk to about it, it's what iRacing was based on (or so he says) and has a massive selection of circuits I've not seen in many other sims. rFactor may be moddable to be close to what NR2003 offers, I don't know. It's pretty sweet though.

Quote Originally Posted by Prolar Bear View Post
    No. GPL got the crap modded out of it - they added a massive amount of variables to the (originally very solid anyway) physics engine and updated it in a thoroughly impressive manner. The FFB isn't as detailed as a modern sim but other than that it's still top-notch and has a massively more interesting selection of cars and tracks than any other sim. GPL with the mods stands up alongside nKP and iRacing in terms of 'games where cars act like cars'.

After its release, NR2003 remained the best physics engine in a racing sim for ages, until LFS/nK came out. It does show its age a little bit in some regards but it's still an excellent, accurate sim.

And as neema says no, nobody's come out with a rally sim better than RBR yet.
    Last edited by Capt. Eduardo del Mango; 06-09-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    NR2003 was the last good NASCAR game - the developers went-on to make iRacing (no AI racing - monthly subs - elitist etc.) so people who want to race AI and/or their mates are forced into played NR2003 (or the arcadey shit which followed it with the licence)

A tidy copy goes for $50 on eBay atm - such is the demand for it - I guess licensing will prevent it ever being re-released and so I guess it's one of those games you might, just, make a case for pirating ($50 for a tatty game where the only benefit is to the last owner is not the most convincing "piracy is killing gaming" argument is it?) :)

Network Hub
    Not sure you can call it elitist if they let ME drive. Just because you don't like it for your own in fathomable reasons having gone in with the express intention of disliking it doesn't make it elitist. Indeed, the snobbery is all on your part.