Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I just did some testing, the Chevrolette with the Valencia 2007 Simbin setup file is excellent! I can lap 1:46 sharp each lap, very stable to drive(FWD) although I think when we approach the 20 laps the FWD drivers will have to get a new set of tires.

I also recommend everyone installs this: http://www.vitumo.de/
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Activated Node
    I was running consistent 1m48s earlier with the odd lap around 1m46 so I should be there or there abouts for pace. My only issue is whether my mouse decides it wants to keep playing silly buggers and disconnecting every minute.

Network Hub
    I think we can safely say I'm the slowest person here by quite some distance! I've added the Captain, and will be practicing some more tonight. Thanks pepper, that program looks excellent, I'll install it now.
    Last edited by hariseldon; 06-06-2013 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Shit grammar

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hariseldon, I am quite a slow driver myself, I participate in club races on another forum(dedicated to sim racing) and often end up a lap or two behind the rest of the field. A bit less nowadays due to my pedals being upgraded/fixed. So, how come you are having problems? Maybe upload a replay file so we can see at what points you are stuck? I've discovered that braking to early isnt that bad, as long as your corner exits are optimal then you can always break a bit later the next lap.

Bread?

Network Hub
    I just figured out the problem, I was on the wrong circuit (valencia long)! I thought a 20s gap was a bit much. Just did a 1.48.5 on valencia 07 in the chevy. Will try a few other cars to see if I can find the right one for me. Thank fook!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Aaah there you go!

Bread?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    The Captain already knows but unfortunately I have to bow out this weekend, I didn't think I was seeing my girlfriend this weekend but it turns out I think like an idiot. Next weekend should be fine, in case this one proves successful, as it's her Dad's birthday and I'm not invited. I look forward to studying the replay from this weekend to formulate my future strategies. In fact I don't even need the replay, my strategy is simple: Don't crash.

Network Hub Capt. Eduardo del Mango's Avatar
    Setting up Race '07 servers is straightforwards, no reason we can't do this either regularly or whenever we're all online at the same time - but yep we'll go for next weekend for something as well.

pepper, I was going to have ten lap races for that reason - I think WTCC had mandatory pitstops in '07, so the tyres would've been lasting seven or eight laps. Also if the field gets spread out, or if somebody goes off, you don't want to spend too long with everybody just going around on their own.

Don't worry if you're a bit late, we'll try to assemble in the RPSkid chat room for 12pm so we'll start a bit later anyway.

Network Hub
    You're right about the tyres. I've just been practicing in the Chevy and early in the race I was pulling 1.45s but towards about the 6 lap mark my tyres started to fall off, a couple of laps later and they were shot to pieces, I was ok in slow corners but in the fast ones I was a sitting duck. Up til now I've had ABS and stability assistance on and this race was my first attempt without any aids (well apart from auto clutch as I only have 2 pedals [Thrustmaster ferrari 458, no force feedback]). I have to admit it was absolutely brilliant fun, I really did enjoy myself. The feeling of being just on the edge of crashing, the little wobbles, the corrections, all that was so much fun. Best fun I've had with a racing game, I couldn't go back to Codemasters F1 games now! Hugely impressed.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Glad you enjoy it :) I generally race with all assists of, except for autoclutch, even though its pretty horrible. On another race fora the general concensus of the better drives was to just ignore the whole clutching and either put it on a button or just shift gears anyway since the clutch dynamics are pretty badly simulated. Autoclutch might also spin the car if not done quite correct. I do have a clutch pedal but dont really use it anyway. Although I have a new pedal set now so I might give it a go someday. I can even put the brake and clutch together for quick shifting.

Capt, good to hear, I genrally enjoy the shorter races. I've participated in 1hr + races and they really arent as enjoyable as a quick race.

Also, whom of you guys have just Race 07 and whom of you have all the addons(GTR, STCC2 etc)?

Bread?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I did some testing with tire endurance, and found that if you brake gentle and dont smoke the tires in corners 2, 7, 10 and 11 then you can enter the second race with almost 90% tires(from lap 5 onwards) and start going really agressive. Depending on tire temperature this should give you a advantage if you want to battle with the RWD vehicle(beamers) if you are driving a FWD offcourse. Otherwise you would be forced to defend in the second half when they are getting on steam.

I lapped faster each lap to 1:46/47 and started at 1:50 the lap after my outlap.

Bread?

Activated Node
    I'll probably be streaming this on Twitch on Saturday if anyone can't race but wants to watch.

twitch.tv/y2rich

Been streaming my practices as well.

Network Hub
    I plan to do some work on tyre management tonight, so thanks for the pointers. I think in my case it might be that my setup is too aggressive, might reduce the camber a bit for the race as I reckon that heats tyres up a bit (I'll miss the cornering performance!). I did weirdly notice my tyres start to come back after a couple of laps of fuel-management driving (ie high gear gentle accel/brack etc), and I managed to get back down to 1.46s for a while so I reckon there may be some milage to be had there (was out to about 1.49 on my slower laps).

Activated Node
    http://www.twitch.tv/y2rich/c/2390344 A rough practice lap from me. Plenty more time to be found :D

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by y2rich View Post
    http://www.twitch.tv/y2rich/c/2390344 A rough practice lap from me. Plenty more time to be found :D
    Nice! I managed to do 13 laps all in a 1:47 window, trying not to stress the tires too much.

Bread?

Network Hub
    Looks like you've got your car sticking nicely on turn 2, I have to drop to 2nd round there or end up off the track. Will have to look into improving slow-corner grip by the looks of things.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hmm, I drop down to 2 there too, but thats mostly to just get a slightly higher acceleration out of it. Have you tried braking a bit earlier and ease the car more into the corner? That seemed to work for me.

So far I gave the Honda a go and managed to get a lap in the 1:45's and mostly in the 1:46's, I then did the same with the Chevy. I made a few fraps movies of how I drive, I will upload them today(I have a very slow upload).

Bread?

Network Hub
    Yeah that's the same thinking as me, if I go haring in too fast I can't get a good drive out of the bend. I do think there's some mileage in having the car pointing more into the corner as you slow down, certainly that's helped with turn 1 and eased it up from a high 4 to a low 5 on occasion.

I quite liked the Honda but the Chevy's proving to be my favourite. More practice this evening I reckon.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yes, trail braking(Start braking before the turn, turn in whilst increasing brake power, maximum required brake at the apex, and ease out again) is quite usefull. Atleast that is how I understand trail braking works, maybe someone more knowledgable about this can comment?

EDIT: Uploads done!

honda:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAlsTpp2pHA

Chevrolet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSMXelUG2GI
    Last edited by pepper; 07-06-2013 at 06:58 PM.

Bread?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hoorah! Finally beat the 1:45 mark, in the Seat leon:

I decided to do timetrials to see how far I could take it and what I could learn. Really usefull since you can download trials uploaded by others based on their times.

Bread?