Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar

Super Slim Playstation: Not Just the Physical Size, But the Price TOO!

Unbelievable price tag: USD150!!

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...in-sonys-favor

This is a model with only 16GB internal storage (rumored), and one have to take into consideration that online or offline, installation is required for EVERY game to run, unlike Xbox (recently it was announced that Halo 4 will required installation at the size of 8GB, but that is actually required for multiplayer only). But hey this perfectly suits my gaming habit. I am not a greedy gamer. I always focus on not more than two games, and usually one for one given period.

And I dont think Sony will offer cloud saving. Even if it does, it wont take it seriously. Japanese are known for their suspicious attitude towards Internet.

But of course, I rather not play naive and face the truth that this generation of game consoles are all almost at the end of their own product life. If the remaining life is only for 1 to 2 years, USD150 is rather pricy for me. If it would last for another 3 to 4 years (very probable, given the current economic outlook), I would then consider this price tag to justify itself.

I still hope Sony will bring warranty coverage to Chinese buyers though.
    Last edited by squirrel; 24-07-2012 at 04:05 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I'd be interested at that price, if only to play with linux operating systems.

Wont happen though, Sony are too smug.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

When I first saw this I got kind of bummed, since I just bought a PS3 a few months ago. But if it's limited to 16GB, buyer's remorse is gone!

In terms of cloud saving, Sony already offers it, but only as part of their paid PSN+ subscription.

And as far as is it worth it now when new consoles are on the way, I see it this way. If you buy a PS3 now, the system will be cheap, the selection of great games will be plentiful and they will also be cheap. If you hold off and get a PS4 at launch, it will be expensive, the selection of games will likely be lackluster and they will all be at full $60 retail price.

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    Mine's a 80GB model and after four years I'm finally hurting for space on this thing. Can't imagine slimming down to 16GB. But if I had only $150 to spend on a Bluray player, would go for this in a heartbeat.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I'd be interested at that price, if only to play with linux operating systems.
    You do know that the OtherOS option has been gone for years now, right? If so, I see what you did there.

If not, then you obviously aren't interested in consoles, or Sony, in the least. The story started when the Slim PS3 was released, which didn't have the OtherOS option from the start. So people hacked it to get OtherOS running on it. And that's when Sony decided to retroactively remove OtherOS from every console made with a firmware update "for security reasons." The removal of OtherOS from every PS3 led to a year-long combined shitstorm which had the results of the PS3 getting finally cracked open for piracy(fixed on newer, practically forced down your throat, firmwares), the numerous hacks of Sony websites including a month-long PSN outage, the introduction of the forced arbitration clause to all of Sony's ToS's and EULAs(people filed lawsuits against Sony for bait-and-switch tactics since the OtherOS was an advertised feature of the system. Sony didn't like that.), and numerous people being sued by Sony over their roles in the cracking of the PS3.

I'd actually say that the combined, fully-snowballed shitstorm over the removal of OtherOS was greater than the shitstorm that came about over the Sony BMG rootkit. The rootkit may have gotten more mainstream media coverage, but it didn't result in Sony getting a full security audit by every major credit card company for compliance after all their websites got hacked.

As for the super-slim PS3, it'd be a nice as a general set-top box type thing, even if it's probably a bit high on the power consumption side, because it's a DVD/Bluray player, has netflix/hulu/amazon streaming, easily works with a home media server, and plays games. But I won't buy it because I'm done with Sony. I'd rather spend that $150 on one of the 1TB WD TV Live boxes when they go on one of their very frequent sales.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by icupnimpn2 View Post
    Mine's a 80GB model and after four years I'm finally hurting for space on this thing. Can't imagine slimming down to 16GB. But if I had only $150 to spend on a Bluray player, would go for this in a heartbeat.
    I bought a regular slim not that long ago because my fat one died on me, I replaced the harddisk with a 500 GB HDD. Never worrying about space feels good, man.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog