View Poll Results: Should RPS stick with Desolation as the EU server of choice

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - RPS for life, Desolation forever

22 70.97%
  • No - Curse you charlatans, why must I live in that interminable place?

5 16.13%
  • Not bothered - I dont even get an amusing explanation, such is the price of my apathy

4 12.90%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Guild Wars 2 Guild Server Choice (EU)

So where do we want to live?

The consensus on mumble was that we like Desolation, both as a name and because its well populated and competitive in WvW. We've also become attached after the beta weekends.

However, it seems fair to put it to a vote, just in case.

In terms of the concern that people won't be able to get on (and I know when a few peeps tried it was full over the weekend). The beta weekend gave a pretty good impression of how they're going to do it. Which is basically to gradually up server caps as the launch progresses to force a distribution, this means at given points over the launch Desolation will be full, but a few hours later it will not.

Effectively its going to penalize, not those who come late (i.e. days/months later), but rather those who are a little slow and come in 2 or 3 hours after live. I'm comfortable with this (since you're all going to be clicking logon every 6 seconds before its even live right? RIGHT!?)

For reference here was the pop caps later in the weekend. We're not certain but it seemed to be sorted in descending order (even within same rating) i.e.Augury Rock was the most heavily populated.

As a further reference, Screwie kindly pointed us to http://www.gw2guilds.org/guilds/eu/desolation
    (bear in mind that this is pretty biased since the guy that created the site is part of DkR - who are on Desolation)

Last edited by Timofee; 25-07-2012 at 12:16 AM.

Network Hub
    Desolation fo' life!

Activated Node
    Desolation was very enjoyable experience, I wouldn't like to trade that away anytime soon! : )

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    I voted no because I hated being the rofflestomp zerg rush pvp server during every single beta event bar the last. They might have improved the match-making it's true, but I still prefer being the underdog, where you can see your own impact in far clearer terms than you do as part of the teeming masses.

The other reason is simply because it's no fun trying to deal with a full server on launch day, trying to persuade friends all to start on the same server when they can't get logged in (and there are other servers waiting, with space). It's just an unnecessary hassle, there's no advantage to being in an over-populated realm. If the choice on the 25th comes down to starting the game with friends, or waiting a couple of hours to get on desolation, it's no contest really.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Jockie View Post
    I voted no because I hated being the rofflestomp zerg rush pvp server during every single beta event bar the last. They might have improved the match-making it's true, but I still prefer being the underdog, where you can see your own impact in far clearer terms than you do as part of the teeming masses.

The other reason is simply because it's no fun trying to deal with a full server on launch day, trying to persuade friends all to start on the same server when they can't get logged in (and there are other servers waiting, with space). It's just an unnecessary hassle, there's no advantage to being in an over-populated realm. If the choice on the 25th comes down to starting the game with friends, or waiting a couple of hours to get on desolation, it's no contest really.
    BWE3 was a lot better, the reason why there was so much stomp was the server matchmaking not working. And on top of that, there was a lot and I mean a lot of servers. And most of those servers had very low pop, despite the game being overly popular. And if desolation is really a bigdog, there will be alot of bigdog fights at some point. Meaning, the server will be matched against as good servers as desolation is. So the fights will be hard. And not to mention, they will start out with 24-hour matches on release, if I remember correctly. And at some point go over to the 2 weeks fights.

Just a speculation, I don't think the server numbers are really set at the moment. So there might actually be more servers on launch, at least I would assume that. Since I think a lot more people will probably buy the game, once it has been properly advertised. But than again that is just my speculation.

I think the match making proved that "rofflestomp zerg rush" will be a thing of a past. Anet fully acknowledged the matchmaking was broken. [for previous weekends]

I'm not sure how much WvW you did on Sunday but the match up with the two French servers was truly outstanding, beautifully poised and was far and away the best PvP experience I've had in an MMO bar none. The feeling of defending our keep against forces 2 to 3 times the size of our own was breathtaking, as was the hurried rushes back when out scouting and stumbling across the main force of an enemy server.

As for seeing your impact, I guess that's how you define it. If you mean you and couple of friends then yeah sure I can see that you might struggle with that but in the context of the guild we absolutely made a noticeable impact over the weekend. My story on the main thread may be a little hyperbolized but the actual events are entirely true. I'll be posting about the match up with the Frenchies later (or tomorrow) but our impact was undeniable. I think concurrently we had no more than 8 guild members in WvW but we held genuinely held and maintained a foothold in the enemy realm often against a vastly superior enemy force. We also led a number of assaults. As with anything it is what you make of it - if you choose to go with the mass zerg of 100 players, well what do you expect, but the breadth of territory and differing objectives means (I think) there are viable options for all players

Its fair to say I'm biased, but I think with good reason - I've had a history of playing MMOs on unpopular servers and honestly the experience has been depressing - trying to scrape together groups for raids (which I appreciate is not an issue for GW2) or getting trounced in PvP has made me regret not picking more popular servers. As has reading about the exploits of major servers where organized Guilds have accomplished x and beaten y in spectacular fashion. They've made me yearn to be closer to that action. Of course the flip side has left me thankful, in not having to queue to join and not having horrendous lag, but with GW2 and the introduction of overflow servers it leaves just one major hump i.e. the getting on in the first place.

Fair enough, I entirely understand your concern, hell that's why I put it to a vote. The great news is the guesting feature means we can still all PvE together, so its not a major concern and likewise by representing the guild you still get all the benefits that will come with that.
    Last edited by Timofee; 24-07-2012 at 10:56 PM.

The server choice is fine with me. I don't mind being on a heavily populated server, at least this way you are more likely to get bonuses from WvW for the PvE, even if you don't partake in the fights against other servers. I can understand that it might feel a bit awkward for some people to choose the "winning side" from the get-go, but as I understand it, there will be some really well coordinated guilds out there (not just self-proclaimed "elite" PvPers you see on GW2guru et al.), so as Timofee said, it is much more likely that we will be part of some great action.
    Forum janitor in training.

I've not been in on the beta weekends, but am looking forward to diving in at release. Got my pre-order all ready. I'll follow the action wherever RPS end up, but can't specify much of a preference. However, I know that if it comes down to it, and I have the game installed but can't actually join the server the RPS guild is on, I'll probably hop on another, at least in my first foray.

I've not really got into an MMO before, played a bit of WoW, but never did the guild stuff. So still not sure exactly what kind of role I'll be playing, I suspect something towards the casual end of the spectrum.
    My Blog|Steam|GW2 Main: Chakan Khimar

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    The potential downside of being on an underdog server is the chance that WvW gets abandoned entirely. As a big part of the enduring endgame for GW2 I really want to avoid that.

I'm more than happy with Desolation, ArenaNet expanded the populations caps quickly enough and we got everyone on there in the end. They also said on the official forums (before it was closed from viewing) that they would be expanding the server caps again for launch.

Regardless if we do change servers, I'd like to wait and see if ANet publish some server scores from WvW to help us make a more informed decision.

A vote for Desolation from myself, although I didn't join up during the Beta Weekend, I certainly plan to come release.

Had a great experience myself in all area's on this server during the weekend (community, PvE, PvP and WvW) so I'm hoping it retains that quality come release - and to mirror Screwie, although I'd like to be an underdog, I think there is greater potentual for a more appealing (and long lasting) end game with being on a more populated server.

Also, not that I mind other languages, but it seems there is less chance of Desolation becoming an unofficial non-English language server filled with people I'm unable to understand, which has hindered my enjoyment in the past.

Another also, I made a new friend who plans on joining the server too! \0/

[Edit: A third also, your WvW update posts on the other thread made me even more attatched to the server Timofee, despite not being there at the time ]
    Last edited by Mbaya; 25-07-2012 at 03:44 AM.
    Virtual Organ Doner - "It's better to gib, than to receive."
    .: Steam :: Screenshots :: Steam Beautiful Screenshots Group :.

If they're expanding the population caps again I can't see any reason to move from Desolation. Sure, the WvW might be a curbstomp for the first couple of weeks but after that the matchmaking should sort everything out and being on a more populated server just means more people to play with in PvE.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    I'm just worried that desolation, even with expanded caps may stop people joining the server.

I'd far rather people were able to actually play together without hiccups than go for the bestest WvW server ever (which wont make a smattering of difference once the match-making comes into play and the groups are of a more even standing).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    I understand the concern about Desolation being an obstacle to players in the short term and I am worried about that too. Although ANet have talked about raising server caps and free world transfers shortly after launch, for someone to join in the fun 6 months down the line and find they can't join our chosen server would be truly dreadful.

However I think the long term benefits outweigh it. This isn't really about being on the winningest WvW side, I'm worried that the lower end of the WvW standings will be not for underdogs, but for servers who grew tired or gave up on this part of the game entirely. It's more about longevity and quality of our WvW experience.

In nearly every MMO, server populations trend downward. We may not have to deal with the server cap at all six months down the line. If it turns out GW2 needs to shrink its architecture and shutter some servers, being on one of the more populous servers makes it very unlikely we'll have to deal with moving the entire guild at a later date (I had to do this three times in WAR with a guild of less than 10 members and it was still a hassle every time - and with fewer members each time).

I could be wrong, of course. Not being a subscription MMO, there is no telling right now how ArenaNet will measure or account for server populations in the long term. But regardless I think Desolation is worth the hassle.

Also, better the devil you know?
    Last edited by Screwie; 25-07-2012 at 10:34 AM.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    I understand the concern about Desolation being an obstacle to players in the short term and I am worried about that too. Although ANet have talked about raising server caps and free world transfers shortly after launch, for someone to join in the fun 6 months down the line and find they can't join our chosen server would be truly dreadful.
    I wouldn't worry too much though, I don't think that will ever be the case. In terms of WvW, there are plenty of good servers out there that give as equal challenge as desolation. I see desolation being just one among other servers. Of course now when spent 3 BWES and 2 stresstests on desolation, I feel very attached to the server.

So far in terms of joining in on desolation, did anyone have any problems getting into desolation, this BWE? I saw quite a lot people in RPS last weekend.

On a side note.. 31 days and 7 hours left.. and BWE3 was like 3 days ago and that seems like ages. Must.. fight.. ugh!

Edit: Side note number 2: Oh yeah, sharks know how to CPR!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EUII...&feature=inbox
    Last edited by John; 25-07-2012 at 12:13 PM.

Voted for Desolation, though I'm still a bit worried that getting into WvW may be a problem for a while.

Hopefully a less buggy queue system and the addition of measures to prevent people from going afk indefinitely in the borderlands will make things better than what have been this last week-end for me.
    No stone left unturned. No tree left unpruned.

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    There was some people in the guild who were on other servers this BWE because they couldn't get on, not that I remember names.

As for server attachment, the only server I think I played on was overflow so there's much love for that.

Stay on Desolation imo, unless the likes of PCGamer shift to a new server. As I understand it it's a lot more expensive to move to a high pop server than it is to move to a low pop one, so better to start on high pop and see if its playable. As Screwie said I think there's a real danger on low pop servers of just not getting the numbers for WvW and it becoming a death spiral.

As much as I love the game, I'm sure active player numbers will decline after the initial zerg. It's not a sub mmo so players won't feel obligated to keep logging in to make use of every second.

I'm really concerned about joining a very large population server. I spent some time in WoW on a very busy server and it could cause a lot of problems. From lots of lag (especially in cities) to inflated auction house prices and lengthy battleground queues. Likewise I spent some time on really low populated servers and they were even worse! So I really have no idea.

At the very least the auction house prices shouldn't be a problem since, if I'm remembering it right, the auction house is across all servers not just one.

Yep, the auction house is global, like sPvP servers.
    No stone left unturned. No tree left unpruned.