View Poll Results: Should RPS stick with Desolation as the EU server of choice

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - RPS for life, Desolation forever

22 70.97%
  • No - Curse you charlatans, why must I live in that interminable place?

5 16.13%
  • Not bothered - I dont even get an amusing explanation, such is the price of my apathy

4 12.90%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Yay for norn!

Quote Originally Posted by AsimBa View Post
    Great, just what I needed to hear! Now i just need to figure out what profession my manly viking man should have.
    Clearly Mesmer.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    Clearly Mesmer.
    Well, mesmer/necromancer was my all time favorite in guild wars one!

Network Hub
    I'll be doing a charr thief,seeing we don't have too many thieves, and some sort of mesmer (human, probably), because mesmers were THE BEST in GW1. Also, they wear pimp purple.

Activated Node
    Right now for me, its between a norn mesmer, necromancer, theif or engineer and unfortunately i want them all! For once in a mmo I will try to avoid the "ooh, shiny" effect of elementalists blasting everything or guardians hitting people like a baseball. Would not mind going for something that the guild lacks, at least to have more variability in sPvP

Activated Node
    My main character will be Asura Mesmer and you can't do anything to stop me. But if we need some specific class for sPvP or WvW then I'm happy to create some alt to help the team. Of course it will take some time to get used to but it's better than nothing, right?

Just wanted to say I should have some details to share around server choice in the next week or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedrill View Post
    My main character will be Asura Mesmer and you can't do anything to stop me. But if we need some specific class for sPvP or WvW then I'm happy to create some alt to help the team. Of course it will take some time to get used to but it's better than nothing, right?
    You're in luck, because Mesmers are fantastic for WvW! They're the only profession that can create portals, a few Mesmers will potentially help with manpower/supply logistics quite a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Timofee View Post
    Just wanted to say I should have some details to share around server choice in the next week or 2.
    Mysterious! Looking forward to finding out what's afoot.

Just to clarify - if I join the server with the RPS guild, I will still be able to play with friends on other servers? That's the impression I have at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by moth bones View Post
    Just to clarify - if I join the server with the RPS guild, I will still be able to play with friends on other servers? That's the impression I have at the moment.
    Yeah, the guesting system means you will be able to play on other servers in almost all areas of the game. You can even join guilds that belong to other servers. The only exception to this is WvW, for which you can only ever play for your home server.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    You're in luck, because Mesmers are fantastic for WvW! They're the only profession that can create portals, a few Mesmers will potentially help with manpower/supply logistics quite a lot.
    I know that but it looks like we'll be having a lot of mesmers in our guild so it's quite possible that we might find ourselves lacking some different classes, like guardian or engineer, or whatever. That's why I'm open to suggestions.

Cheers Screwie.

I never played GW1, so I only have a vague idea about the classes right now, but Engineer and Necromancer look the most appealing for me (or Thief). Still don't know whether I'll be able to afford the game before launch, but I'll try; I really like the look of it and I'm sure RPSers will make fine guildmates.

Right, update time:
    I'm pleased to report that like any good dictator I have ignored you lot and opted to go elsewhere: to Timofee Land! *ahem*

As eagle-eyed persons may have noticed - Desolation is popular

Factoring in this and peoples' valid concerns about being able to get on to the server, a group of like-minded guilds have been discussing forming a new community on a different server and I'm hopeful you'll all be happy with the outcome.

In doing this it should address the all the issues raised here along with a few other nice to haves. This includes:

• Ability for everyone to get on
    • Healthy, competitive WvW community
    • Pleasant, active PvE community
    • Principally english speaking (at least in terms of World chat)
    • Few(er) 'winning team joiners' (after the success of Desolation)
    • A core of mature, similarly minded guilds with whom we can foster a great community

As a result I'm very pleased to say that we have tentatively declared Boreal Station as our preferred destination.

This is subject to major movements in the community and (of course) Arenanet actually confirming the server lineup.

In the meantime I invite people to comment on whether they're happy with these developments, although like I say, I'm pretty sure you will be!

Praise be to Horace.

Network Hub
    Since the alliance seem to be rather large it's probably not a bad idea.

Seems to be a fairly solid alliance and the Boreal Station choice will hopefully avoid both server full and long queues to get in WvW issues.

Kismet is happy with these developments, especially should we get underground facilities.

Praise be to Horace.
    Last edited by Kismet; 05-08-2012 at 09:27 AM.
    No stone left unturned. No tree left unpruned.

Quote Originally Posted by Timofee View Post
    Praise be to Horace.
    Well, Boreal Station has a nice ring to it. Ironically enough Desolation will end up being the most populated server EU side.

You've probably debated this enough, but how populated was BS (hah) during the last BWE? I can understand running away from an overpopulated world, but hopefully we won't end up on an empty one, even though the alliance looks like it has good numbers.

I'm delighted by the idea of a mature English speaking community for our destination, looks like we'd have the numbers for some organised WvW too
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

We've already talked about this on mumble and as I said then, this seems to be a really good move (see what I did there?). Hopefully this announcement won't cause too many people to join BS instead of Desolation now.

Yeah, sounds good.

Seems like we have a lot of other guilds interested in this move, so it looks like we should have a strong enough base for our own server.

Also loving that almost the whole server is in a single alliance haha. Hopefully this level of communication will lead to some excellent larger scale WvW tactics too

Quote Originally Posted by noaru View Post
    You've probably debated this enough, but how populated was BS (hah) during the last BWE? I can understand running away from an overpopulated world, but hopefully we won't end up on an empty one, even though the alliance looks like it has good numbers.
    Here's hoping "That's BS!" becomes the cry for when opposition servers are crushed underfoot!

In terms of population, I have screenshots of BS at both Low and Medium although on all occasions it was one of the least populated servers. The aim of the community we're building is to ensure a healthy population in all aspects and I don't anticipate any issues even with the numbers we've got at the moment, plus we're still looking to add a select few more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
    Kismet is happy with these developments, especially should we get underground facilities.
    Talking about oneself in the third person is a sure fire sign of madness. You'll never catch Timofee doing that...

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    Also loving that almost the whole server is in a single alliance haha. Hopefully this level of communication will lead to some excellent larger scale WvW tactics too
    Indeed. While some of our more PvP leaning guilds may go on to create more formal alliances, one of the key parts of the community is to form a cohesive whole and keep lines of communication open post release so we can expect plenty of co-op in both PvP and PvE.

My first order of business? Inter-guild Keg Brawl - assuming Anet sort out team joining. Before you came on during the Stress Test we managed to get 6 of us in the same game (3 on either side). Needless to say the brilliance of Myself, John and MOKKA won the day

Edit: got my screenshots in wrong order...

Game #1

Game #2

Game #3
    It went a bit wonky and kicked everyone out except Karl and MOKKA. I did however manage to rejoin to revel in victory.
    Last edited by Timofee; 05-08-2012 at 12:00 PM.