View Poll Results: Should RPS stick with Desolation as the EU server of choice

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - RPS for life, Desolation forever

22 70.97%
  • No - Curse you charlatans, why must I live in that interminable place?

5 16.13%
  • Not bothered - I dont even get an amusing explanation, such is the price of my apathy

4 12.90%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Obscure Node
    I was one of the people who got locked out of Desolation on Friday, largely because I joined the beta 5 hours late. However I managed to painlessly jump back in when I checked the servers on Saturday. Population caps were raised and the transfer cost 0 gems so if they keep the same policy for launch everybody who checks the server list every so often will be able to squeeze in to Desolation I'm sure.

I'm not allowed to vote in the poll, but I'm all for sticking with Desolation.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Milos View Post
    I'm not allowed to vote in the poll, but I'm all for sticking with Desolation.
    You need 10 posts to be able to vote. : )

I'd say stick with Desolation, if it comes to it it'll be much cheaper swap to a less populated server than to a more populated one and also i'd rather have to queue for WvW than to be the only ones in it.

Interestingly DkR (the super large PvP guild) have moved from Desolation to undecided

http://www.gw2guilds.org/guilds/eu

I should add for those that are concerned, all we're doing here is getting an initial commitment for where we want to go. That doesn't mean that if a week before release 4chan, something awful etc all decide to go to Desolation we won't just move.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Creates more chances, to join that server. Though it would really be funny, if Arenanet would rename all servers just before launch.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Interesting development. They are/were the biggest and only one of two 200+ guilds on Desolation.

Why isn't RPS listed on that site yet, Timofee?

Activated Node
    Not allowed to vote in the poll for some reason, but I'd like to move to a less populated server, Desolation was overpopulated and it would be hard for us to get all our members in. I think most of us in this thread pre-purchased so we'll be alright cause we get early access, but we have to consider that there'll be other RPS readers who might want to join us on release day or even further into the future. Desolation was full when I tried to get in and I logged in only 3 hours into the beta. I was able to transfer on Saturday but I had huge problems trying to get into WvW, the queues were huge!
    The good thing about having a guild is you'll always have people to play with, so it's not as necessary to be in a populated server for PvE. You'll be able to get guildies together for most things rather than having to rely on pugs. So since it's an active detriment for wvw, I think that consideration should get priority. Desolation acquired critical mass cause a number of large guilds made it their home (including us) and a lot of guildless folks picked it hoping to join one of the larger guilds. But if we decide to move to a lower pop world, some of those guildless folks will flock there to join us.

Quote Originally Posted by manveruppd View Post
    The good thing about having a guild is you'll always have people to play with, so it's not as necessary to be in a populated server for PvE.
    I disagree, given how the events scale depending on how many people are around I think having a sizable PvE community will be very important especially down the line when it comes to leveling alts.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    Interesting development. They are/were the biggest and only one of two 200+ guilds on Desolation.

Why isn't RPS listed on that site yet, Timofee?
    Because the poll isn't over yet! I'd be a bit presumptuous declaring it now ;P

Also, for ref we had a fairly creditable 50 peeps in the guild over the most recent weekend and I expect a further boost to that number once the game is live for realzies (yes, you heard. I totally just said realizies - am I awesome? Yes. Yes I am)

Quote Originally Posted by manveruppd View Post
    Not allowed to vote in the poll for some reason, but I'd like to move to a less populated server, Desolation was overpopulated and it would be hard for us to get all our members in. I think most of us in this thread pre-purchased so we'll be alright cause we get early access, but we have to consider that there'll be other RPS readers who might want to join us on release day or even further into the future. Desolation was full when I tried to get in and I logged in only 3 hours into the beta. I was able to transfer on Saturday but I had huge problems trying to get into WvW, the queues were huge!
    The good thing about having a guild is you'll always have people to play with, so it's not as necessary to be in a populated server for PvE. You'll be able to get guildies together for most things rather than having to rely on pugs. So since it's an active detriment for wvw, I think that consideration should get priority. Desolation acquired critical mass cause a number of large guilds made it their home (including us) and a lot of guildless folks picked it hoping to join one of the larger guilds. But if we decide to move to a lower pop world, some of those guildless folks will flock there to join us.
    To vote you need to have made 10 posts

I think we've covered a lot of this ground already but to recap: while the last thing I want is people to struggle to get on, the dynamic and swift way they raised the caps over the beta weekend gives me confidence that it won't be too big of an issue come release.

I take your point about PvE, although since the principal activity requiring more players is dungeons - and they only need 5 - I don't think that is precisely the issue. Its more about having a living, breathing world to participate in, and on an underpopulated server you run the risk of it being pretty lonely.

With the event scaling it very much is a case of the more the merrier (up to a certain point) so the more people that will be regularly playing long term, the better.

A few people have made valid points about choosing a middle of the road server, my main concerns around this are the fact we identified way back that we wanted a principally english speaking server. Now assuming something awful's list is relatively accurate (and it is fairly well backed up by http://www.gw2guilds.org/ ) it means the prime candidates are Desolation and Gandara

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...Xks/edit?pli=1

Without wishing to disrespect the fine fellows of Gandara, we gave them a good seeing to over BWE3 and my final population screenshot reckons they were only medium.

"But wait!" I hear you cry, matchmaking should sort that out, and you may well be right, but my concern is you end up 'neither here nor there'. Allow me to explain Tim's Unified Theory of WvW Dynamics:

The low pop sever
    As already outlined earlier in the thread, the worry here is that WvW become a ghost town, enemy sightings are minimal and any entrants to WvW spend the majority of their time attacking doors (which is not fun, and why we set out to defend somewhere over BWE3)

The medium pop server
    My concern here is depending on how many servers end up being medium pop, you may find yourself in a scenario where they flip flop from playing the worst of the worst (and destroying them - no fun) to playing the high pop servers (who destroy you - not much fun). Or at best it might be that every other WvW rotation sees them matched up for a competitive few weeks before they get rebalanced to play easy/hard opposition as outlined. Either way, I'd rather know WvW was going to be consistently entertaining.

The high pop, but not that good at WvW, server
    These guys lack the top WvW focused guilds, but sheer volumes keep them consistently competitive - this is a relatively fun place to be. However looking at the options at the moment I don't see an English speaking friendly server that fits this

The high pop, hardcore WvW server
    Unquestionably this is where Desolation sits (and indeed right at the top of the pile as by my count we went 9 in 9 across the BWEs). Obviously you don't want to be on a server that just face rolls every match-up but if BWE3 is any indication: this is the place to be. We had a truly excellent match up with Fort Ranik and Augury Rock and it came right down to the wire. ( http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...l=1#post167019 )

At this point I think the safest thing will be to desingnate a 'sure thing' backup server so at worst the guild is fragmented in half and people can still group for WvW (and obviously guesting fixes PvE)

My suggestions would be either:

Gunnar's Hold or Boreal Station
    Last edited by Timofee; 27-07-2012 at 08:13 PM.

I just want to add a little about WvW as it stood in the last beta weekend, that has come to light since:

1. There was a bug which overtaxed their server CPUs, so as a quick fix the devs halved the WvW zone caps from late Fri/early Sat until the end of the weekend.

2. When they became aware of the drastically lowered cap, many players elected to go AFK within WvW instead of logging off, to preserve their spot.

3. The queue system was exploitable and people found they could queue jump by quitting and joining the queue repeatedly.

All this added up to a less than (heck, less than half) satisfactory performance by WvW over the weekend and operating well below their planned capacity.

---

As for backup server, Gunnar's Hold - because it's norn

Interesting developments afoot re server choice.

I've been asked not to say too much, but think we should have a solution that resolves all issues highlighted in this thread.

Activated Node
    Hey guys bear in mind that the servers will get shuffled around regularly based on wvw results, so just cause we beat Gandara last weekend doesn't mean we'll ALWAYS be matched against inferior servers!

Also you have to remember that any medium-pop server WE announce we're joining will probably become high pop fairly soon-ish as lots of guildless folks who read RPS casually but haven't pre-purchased the game like we did... That's why I think the safest thing if we want these people to be able to join is to pick a server that not too many other biggish guilds (like the SomethingAwful guys, or, indeed PC Gamer) have announced they're joining. Just saying! I'm not speaking out of self-interest as I have early access

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Timofee View Post
    Interesting developments afoot re server choice.

I've been asked not to say too much, but think we should have a solution that resolves all issues highlighted in this thread.
    A ballpark hint within the next three weeks would be helpful if that's possible, i.e. if servers are being renamed or similar. I did notice queuing was an issue in the last BWE so I expect something similar will happen at lauch, and will have to be accounted for.

I'm sure Tim will tell us something as soon as he is able.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    I'm sure Tim will tell us something as soon as he is able.
    I'm wouldn't be so sure. I don't have my reputation as the prince of lies and deceit for nothing you know.

Its a tough one. I was one of the people who couldn't get in - but evidently if i had tried I could have transferred.

I'd say that we should stick with Desolation and if it needs moving move then.

We are looking for potential problems but it seems like Desolation is a top WvW server and if that's what you want - and I'd probably say it is - why go else where?

Activated Node
    I have a question for the americans playing gw2, how bad is the lag on desolation? I only tried playing the first weekend, which was unstable because i never got past level 7. I would prefer to play there, given that the rest of you guys will!

Banned
    But Desolation is such a depressing name...

I live on the west coast and I've had no problem with lag on desolation. I don't really play the team PvP but for PvE and WvWvW I did not notice any game breaking lag. I will say the only problem was the server would be closer to low pop during prime time hours for PDT, but there were enough European night owls up from the RPS clan to meet up with.

Activated Node
    Great, just what I needed to hear! Now i just need to figure out what profession my manly viking man should have.