Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar

Neo-aboriginal Educational Methods

Because there aren't enough articles about science and education around here, so let's get crackin'.

Here's one from the Wall Street Journal, makes the argument that as our minds developed from our hands, our education would best be served if we did as much as possible with them as early as possible, and one universal pre-literate societal practice to do just that has been string figures.

I've only been in the school system four years, but to me it's been plainly obvious that the students themselves were smart and capable, if sorely mis-educated and disenfranchised. Cavalcades of teachers who cannot teach (because nobody wants to be a teacher when it's the least possible return on a post-graduate degree for the most work) completely fucking up a generation's worth of children.

Everybody's had a bad math teacher. Most give up on it. Hell, the number of innumerate people - akin to illiterate people - out in the world is staggering. I can't fix the system - magnates with endless pockets like Bloomberg can barely rustle its feathers - so it seems like one of the more immediate solutions is to find methods where-in students become savvy enough to learn despite poor instruction.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    This was a very interesting article. I find it fascinating how it is possible to invent even more creative methods of education.
    But where did he come from, this fleck of spite in an abandoned paradise?

TED Talk by Sir Ken Robinson

There's another piece on schools and education. Ken Robinson is pretty good, he's done a lot of TEDs so check him out for more views.

I live in Sweden so might differ here from the US for many reasons. But one big problem we have among teachers is the amount of paperwork there is. They spend hours on paperwork that should be spent prepping classes and lectures and figuring out what to do with hard-to-reach students. I am also a firm believer that teaching is as much a performance art that it is an academic art. Teachers need to reach their students and interest them.

TED Talk by Sir Ken Robinson

There's another piece on schools and education. Ken Robinson is pretty good, he's done a lot of TEDs so check him out for more views.

I live in Sweden so might differ here from the US for many reasons. But one big problem we have among teachers is the amount of paperwork there is. They spend hours on paperwork that should be spent prepping classes and lectures and figuring out what to do with hard-to-reach students. I am also a firm believer that teaching is as much a performance art that it is an academic art. Teachers need to reach their students and interest them.