Hybrid View

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar

Chernobyl: The true scale of the incident.

A report made by WHO (that's the UN World Health Organization) scientists, found when browsing trough my old bookmarks. A mandatory read for anyone actively supporting or opposing Nuclear power:
    http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/.../en/index.html

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I m tempted to make a reference to STALKER but I won't. There is also this for Fukushima, at some point I guess we ll have an official report as well: Fukushima disaster 'man-made'.

How about I add another link to this thread as well? I found this journal of a biker who went into Chernobyl herself, a few years ago. It's quite a read, here. She knows a lot about Chernobyl's history herself
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    A report made by WHO (that's the UN World Health Organization) scientists, found when browsing trough my old bookmarks. A mandatory read for anyone actively supporting or opposing Nuclear power:
    I learned at your link which show you these are true incident scale i am fully shocked about to read this 4000 people could die and may more which i/you do not estimate.
    NTEP scale
    Last edited by Lanko; 22-09-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanko View Post
    I learned at your link which show you these are true incident scale i am fully shocked about to read this 4000 people could die and may more which i/you do not estimate.
    Well, you may have read it incorrectly - 4000 people are the maximum of people that will die. And that is an estimate. The amount of people that actually will die is statistically indeternimable (which means there is too few of them to actually get an accurate measurement). The main thing is that someone who dies because of the consequences of radiation could have died three years later because of the consequences of smoking - or vice versa.

I know slash my now wife's family hosted a Belarussian kid (now 19?) on an exchange type summer program to let them have some time out of the background radiation, it seems that northerly winds carried the fallout into southern Belarus where it is now mostly sequestered in the local floura, they found that even 3 months in the USA away from the background radiation was enough to undo 2-3 years of background damage.
    Why are you wearing that stupid human suit?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    It was a disaster. But it's pretty clear that its consequences are limited. Had the power Chernobyl produced been produced by coal power plants instead, there would probably have been more deaths and more disease. They would just have been less visible.

Nuclear power definitely has drawbacks, but even with ridiculously unsafe plants like Chernobyl or Fukushima it's safer than coal. Unless you build a nuclear power plant in the middle of a large city or something.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    A coal power plant releases more radiation than a nuclear plant.

It's amazing how well the 40 years old Fukushima power plant resisted a gigantic earthquake and a tsunami.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    A coal power plant releases more radiation than a nuclear plant.

It's amazing how well the 40 years old Fukushima power plant resisted a gigantic earthquake and a tsunami.
    At least when you consider that
    1) It was older than Chernobyl in design and construction.
    2) The company behind the plant forged safety documentation repeatedly, with scandals about it going back as far as 1976.
    3) At the time of construction, they changed the design of the emergency cooling systems without notifying authorities.
    4) The plant was only designed to withstand earthquakes of moderate severity; the one that hit Fukushima, Sendai etc. was one of the most severe earthquakes ever recorded.
    5) It was only designed to withstand small tsunamis. When in 2008 a report warned that the plant could be hit by much larger tsunamis than expected, they did nothing. This was after an incident in 1991 illustrated that the backup generators were vulnerable to flooding. They responded to that incident by changing some doors, rather than moving the generators from the basement to higher ground. In the actual disaster, the generator rooms were flooded in part via... the doors.

It's almost like they wanted this to happen. Just read the safety history of the plant at Wikipedia.

Activated Node
    I have no time to read but I think they should shut down all the NPP in the world.