Obscure Node

Should I go out of my way to get 2 identical RAM modules or not?

I have a fairly rare (afaik) laptop, a Compal FL90. I quite like it, but it only came with 2Gb RAM, I think it would be most appropriate to double that. The thing is, I couldn't so far find the same module in the UK, but I could order one from Poland - well, to be precise, ask a friend to order it, somehow pay him, arrange delivery- so it's a bit of a kerfuffle.
    My question is: is it worth all the trouble to have the exact same module (and a few extra s)?
    Edit: forgot to add that the current RAM is a GoodRAM GR667S264L5/2G DDR2 module, if anyone happens to have one in the shed.
    Last edited by rapchee; 26-07-2012 at 01:35 AM.

Network Hub
    Without knowing much about the specific machine, it is always a good idea to try and match identical ram modules in pairs. It hasn't always been that way, and hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but many motherboards are designed to work best, or work at all, with matching ram.

Alternatively, you can probably get a single 4GB module for cheapish these days and avoid the hassle, if the mobo supports it.

That way, you can even try and stick the old 2GB module in with the 4 and see if you can get a total of 6.

You dont have to have identical modules -- they will likely work if the modules share a common speed. I have different sticks in my laptop, and its fine. Ones by Kingston, the default stick is by Samsung. Theyre the same speed though (PC3-10700) and the same size, which pretty much guarantees it works.
    Last edited by Boris; 26-07-2012 at 09:19 AM.

Network Hub
    With RAM cheaper than it's ever been I would definitely rip and replace.

Activated Node
    In a word: No.

they will likely work if the modules share a common speed.

If the original stick of RAM is replaceable, why not remove that one as well and buy a new set of RAM. It will probably be cheaper than going through the hassle of getting that exact stick of RAM.

Otherwise if you match capacity and speed you should be alright. If you only match the speed but not the capacity you might take a slight performance hit.

It will probably be cheaper than going through the hassle of getting that exact stick of RAM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    If you want to just add RAM, just match the speed which is crucial for it to work. You can and probably will want to match the size too.

However if you can remove and replace the current RAM for all you know your laptops motherboard might be able to handle a higher speed ram and you could get yourself two brand new sticks at a higher speed.

But long story short, no you don't have to get an identical stick.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    No, as long as they are set to the same speed (maybe same timings to be safe) it will work fine.
    Stores recommend the same ram for very obvious reasons: to get people to buy 2 sticks instead of one when they want to upgrade.

It will probably be cheaper than going through the hassle of getting that exact stick of RAM.

Last edited by lvshizhao2033; 27-08-2012 at 04:32 AM.