Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Network Hub

Bandai rep doing damage control on Dark Souls PC (even before it's out) on gamefaqs

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/916373-pc/63516140

I hope gaming news websites pick up on this like they did with Mass Effect 3. You can tell it's someone from Bandai because of the content of the post and it's a brand new account

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    How is this damage control? And how'd you know it's a Bandai official? What are you doing with that pitchfork? Why should we care?

It is suspicious, but there is a possibility (if somewhat slight) that he isn't an employee. I hope he isn't because if the developer is going around saying

Personally 30fps is sufficient.

Why do you feel entitled to any higher?
    then I'm not very enthused about buying their product.

Network Hub
    Actually damage control was a bad choice of words. I meant the guy is hyping the game and urging everyone to buy it while trying to dispel all the (legitimate) fears everyone has about it being a shit port. I mean, just read his posts and the account was created 20 minutes before the topic was made.
    As for why you should care, I dunno. You cared enough to enter this topic and post though.

P.S: the pitchfork is to scratch my back

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    The poor spelling and BIGLETTERSZOMG!1! makes it seem more like a rabid fanboy than an undercover employee to me.

You cared enough to enter this topic and post though.
    Posts for the postcount god.

My money's on some dedicated fanboy as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Hypernetic's Avatar
    The people who begged and campaigned for a Dark Souls release on PC, got what they wanted, and then have done nothing but bitch about it ever since are the worst kind of people.

I honestly feel bad for Namco, they did this only because the fans demonstrated that they wanted it and they've been getting shit on for it ever since.

You're right, I completely forgot about the "please give us a half-arsed PC port of Dark Souls" petition.

If people hadn't bitched about it, the improvements listed by the rabid fanboy wouldn't even existed.

I honestly feel bad for Namco, they did this only because the fans demonstrated that they wanted it and they've been getting shit on for it ever since.
    so brave.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    The people who begged and campaigned for a Dark Souls release on PC, got what they wanted, and then have done nothing but bitch about it ever since are the worst kind of people.

Maybe because the people who asked for it on PC, asked for a decent port. What they're getting is, from a lot of evidence, a straight or even shoddy port, shackled to GFWL, with little optimisation etc. done for the PC. The people who campaigned for the game on PC campaigned for a 'PC version' of the game on PC, although probably not explicitly enough.

Yes, people wanted the game on PC... but they wanted a decent port to be done.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    Maybe because the people who asked for it on PC, asked for a decent port. What they're getting is, from a lot of evidence, a straight or even shoddy port, shackled to GFWL, with little optimisation etc. done for the PC. The people who campaigned for the game on PC campaigned for a 'PC version' of the game on PC, although probably not explicitly enough.

Nothing more needs to be said

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post

Beggars can't be choosers, my friend.

That proverb neither makes sense nor does it work in that context. Try again!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar

The extent of my involvement was a quick signing of the first major petition. Otherwise I haven't said so much as a word for or against Dark Souls. I tell you this so when I say 'I'd rather they do it right or not at all', I can't be dismissed as one of the people you mentioned. Bandai have the resources and knowledge to create a bitchin' port and make full use of the PC's capabilities, but they're not going to do that because despite how little effort it would take on their part, a half-assed job would presumably bring in the same amount of money.

Just yesterday I threw my brother out of the kitchen for offering to make me a meal and then shoving a microwaved TV dinner in my face. No. I'm not eating that. That's fucking rancid. Do it right or not at all.

Beggars can't be choosers, my friend.
    Good job I'm no beggar then, isn't it? I have plenty of games to play in my backlog, plenty of games on my wishlist and 'to buy' list, plenty of games to play for the 2nd time etc. I don't need Dark Souls, especially if it's a shitty port. At the worst, I'll buy it for 3 in a Steam sale 12-18 months from now.
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Disclaimer: I have a PS3 and have been playing Dark Souls since it came out

Honestly, Dark Souls has kind of made me embarrassed to be a PC gamer (other stuff rapidly fixes it though. Like ArmA!). PC gamers saw a game they like and complained that they wanted it. Fine, good, that is great. It is funny that many of these were the same folk who got angry when games got "consolified", but whatever. Maybe we have moved on from that stage (clearly not...).

Then they find out it is going to use GfWL and everyone gets horrifyingly angry. Yes, GfWL sucks. I suspect even MS thinks it sucks. But think of it from the perspective of the devs: They have an xbox 360 version. Odds are that XBL->GfWL is much easier than XBL->Steamworks or XBL->Custom Proprietary Achievement and DLC tracking system.

So then we find out that there is a framerate lock. Boo hoo, we can't get over 30 FPS (I grew up playing Unreal Tournament at 24 FPS...). Oh my god developers and Namco, you suck! Except, you know, that Dark Souls has notoriously bad performance on consoles. The likely corporate shill DID kind of point out that the normal slowdown is gone...

And let's not mention the time-limited exclusive on the DLC or anything...

So, let's just look at this chain of events:
    PC gamers see shiny, we want
    Devs/Publisher decide to feel around to see if it is worth pursuing, they decide it is
    DRM/distribution model chosen that makes it easier for the devs but makes PC gamers ANGRY!
    Better performance than console versions, but performance still NOT GOOD ENOUGH <insert whip-crack>!
    Time-limited exclusive on what the loyal fans will likely have to pay extra for

So yeah, screw namco/bandai. How dare those pricks give us a better product less than a year after releasing the console version. Especially because those console assholes actually SUPPORTED namco/bandai (you know, all that loyalty that we bitched about when Bethesda and Epic and iD started focusing on consoles...).

Seriously, this is just really pathetic. Maybe it is not as good as we would like, but this is still rapidly becoming the definitive edition of the game.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

What Gundato said.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I have respect for them that they came out and said 'we are struggling with this port, it's not something we usually do.' That bit of honesty goes a long way for me, I'll probably end up picking it up and enjoying it, even though it's not perfect. I don't like bad ports, but I can manage, I'm sure.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Yeah! They're generously doing us all a favor by trying to make more money! Why aren't you grateful and uncritical?

Wait, what?

Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    I have respect for them that they came out and said 'we are struggling with this port, it's not something we usually do.' That bit of honesty goes a long way for me, I'll probably end up picking it up and enjoying it, even though it's not perfect. I don't like bad ports, but I can manage, I'm sure.
    Exactly, it's not like they misrepresented the final product or something.

I can understand not wanting to buy it because of GFWL or what have you, but all this hate for namco/bandai is really unwarranted. I'm not even a fan of the game, I didn't even know what it was until it started popping up in PC news.

Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    Yeah! They're generously doing us all a favor by trying to make more money! Why aren't you grateful and uncritical?

Wait, what?
    Uh no, they were perfectly happy with not ever releasing a PC version. They are only doing so because of the overwhelming reaction from fans asking for one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Speaking as a neutral party who didn't even sign the petition, and really has no clear idea of what the game is, I'll just say that GfWL is automatically off-putting but the frame rate business is just bizarre and silly IMO. Then again, graphics whores are intrinsically ridiculous creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post

Wait, what?
    Yup, fanboys are intrinsically ridiculous creatures, too.