I've been trying to juice a little more performance out of my PC this afternoon, but I'm a bit of an overclocking greenhorn. I figured you fellows and fellowettes might be able to help me out a bit.

I have an EVGA GTX 460 with a factory clock of 850 (which I think is faster than other gtx 460s?), an AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black four-core 3.2 ghz, 8 gigs of ram, housed in a Lian Li A05 with the default fans.

My main problem and the reason I wanted to wring more out of this thing was that RAGE ran like ass, despite the fact that it seems like I should be able to run it well. I'm not sure I know where the bottleneck lies.

I managed to clock up the GPU to 870 clock and 2019 memory clock, which seemed stable in the 3DMark bench tests. I tried the FurMark test tho, and almost immediately overheated. I also overheated with default settings on the card in Furmark, despite the fact that I've been gaming with no problems on this rig for over a year.

Before I maxed out at around 74 C in gaming, with the overclock, it seems to be about 83.

So here are my questions:

Is FurMark unrealistic for stability testing?

Can I trust 3DMark's stability indication?

If GPU heat is my problem how can I solve it most easily? (New card? More fan-ny case panels? Changing case fan speed?)

Is the CPU a bottleneck? (I could overclock it - it's got an unlocked multiplier, but a stock cooler)

Any RAGE fans know what my bottleneck is? Poorly optimized, or Crysis-like in its expectations?

Thanks for any insight.