Spec Op: looking for spoilers

I've read and heard a lot about Spec Ops: The Line since it's release. All of it, understandably, has been spoiler-free. But as someone who will likely never play the game I'd like to read about the narrative elements that apparently set it apart from similar shooters. Does anyone know of any such article? (or want to describe it here?)

I know I could likely find the key bits and pieces of the narrative on youtube, but I'm as interested to read about players' reactions as I am the specifics of the game.

That was a very good explanation of the games themes. It does make me curious though, the developer talks about how the game is actively against you, I wonder if that is why the cover mechanics felt so shit towards the end of the game.

Edit: so meta.

Thanks!
    So, you'se that played it, do the lines from the latter article ring true at all? ...
    "...it takes a truly great story to leave your eyes glazed over and your thoughts scattered as you try to make sense of how what you've just seen."

"We wanted the players to feel angry at us, the writers, because in many ways the game lied to them, the game tricked them in some way."

"You did this. You put the disc in. You played through the story and didn't stop, even as it became clear that you could have and should have stopped playing."
    Games like To the Moon convince me that games can create emotional investment and stakes, but the lack of other Spec Ops threads at RPS suggest to me that this one didn't quite do it... and that maybe the above quotes overreach the game's actual impact. But then I haven't played it.

I would say so. It definitly stands out from every other game in the military man shoot genre in my opnion. I did, personally, feel all three of those things in your quote while playing, although not to a massive extent, i.e. it wouldn't bring me to tears thinking about it (as is aparently the case with 'to the moon'.)

The ending definitely lead to scattered thoughts on war as a result of the brutal reality of the twist ending. Additionally, The white phosphorus segment made me regret my decision, and hate myself and the enemy a bit more, I also liked the logical rationalization on the part of the character after the fact - as it felt like a truth - in that situation everyone would think that way (instead of just video game logic for video game characters), we didn't have a choice, they made us make that decision, we're not the bad guys - they are.

also, the part where [spoilers]the civilans hung my squad mate (because we destroyed their water reserves) [/spoilers] made me furious, it made me want to disregard the rules of engagement and shoot a bunch of unarmed civilians -which is a credit to the game's ability to put you in a war, and make you feel the confusion and anger of it as if it were reality.

It had alot of really nice touches throughout the game as well, the blaring rocked' up star-spangled banner tune that plays in the main menu, despite [spoiler I know, obviously the thread contains em, but no harm in not ruining the game for everyone] 80% of the game involving the shooting of american soliders[/spoiler], which again was a decision I felt I didn't have a choice in, they made me do that to them, they shot at me first.

I would also agree with the notion that while the game didn't shy away from being intensely graphical in its depicition of war, it didn't at any point seem like they were aiming to be controversial for the sake of it, unlike with the "No Russian" level in CoD.

I have been meaning to start a discussion about the game, but being lazy I never got around to it.
    Last edited by Wheelz; 28-07-2012 at 05:06 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar

The central white phosphorus scene was a success because it keeps shoving the dead mom and girl in your face.
    When you get the first glimpse of them, I thought it was kinda lame. I mean it's such a cliche, right?
    And then it just keeps cutting to them, alternating between Walker's shellshocked expression and their burnt faces. It goes on and on and on and the camera keeps getting closer, while Adams and Lugo are going ballistic in the background. It hits like a hammer.

I like gore but this scene made me feel horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    I like gore but this scene made me feel horrible.
    I'll agree with that. I also hated doing the graphic executes the player could do on american soliders (it just felt wrong), but it was the best way to get ammo for your weapon while playing, otherwise you'd constantly be swapping between weapons.

also, the loading screen tips were great towards the end - "You're still a good person."

Edit: I think a large part of the reason it's not been discussed around RPS, is that it's not in a genre that appeals to the majority of RPS'ers and as such, not many of them have played it. I could be wrong though.
    Last edited by Wheelz; 29-07-2012 at 11:23 PM.

For those interested: the Gamers with Jobs podcast folk mentioned this week that they have plans to be record a spoiler special with Rob Zacny about Spec Ops. Maybe out next week?

Banned
    There's a spoiler filled discussion here: -

http://uk.gamespot.com/features/game...-line-6386587/

Spec Ops: The Line lead writer Walt Williams exposes his creative process to Kevin VanOrd, Tom Mc Shea, and Giant Bomb's Jeff Gerstmann.

Pretty interesting stuff.

As regards the game. I really liked it abnd I would heartily recommend it. Yes the combat is tough. I opted to play it on easy on giant bombs recommendation and even then at times there were some tough sections (esp towards the end) where it was a case of knuckling down.

The games starts off quite slowly and it does seem quite conventional initially but gradually as you progress things begin to unravel and the horrors start to mount up.

After I finished the game I picked up Max Payne 3 and the contrast in terms of the storytelling couldn't of been more distinct. MP3 has a tonne of polish to it and more dramatic combat (I really like the gun play in it tbh), but the plot was largely predictable and beats way more obvious to the detriment of the narrative. Nothing happened in MP3 that remotely takes you by surprise, the same criticism can't be said for Spec Ops.

TBH you should really play it and then read/listen to spoilers, but ultimately that's your choice.

I was unimpressed by the game. Game play itself is mediocre and the cover mechanics are wonky, but the plot or shockers or whatever aren't anything special either. Spoilers ahoy.

I guess one was supposed to be shocked about the whole burning down civilians thing but it didn't work on me at all. I could see it happening a mile away, I had no choice in the matter and thought the actions of the main character just stupid. The game tries hard to be serious but really it just doesn't manage. The loading screens reveal that the devs thought they were making something grand and moving. Things like, "Feel like a hero yet?", clearly imply I'm supposed to feel like an anti-hero, which the main character clearly is, but I'm not him, this is not a RPG. I feel stupid for playing a mediocre game just to find out what the buzz is about.

Every minute spent on this game is a waste and I'm glad I didn't pay more than 15 euros for it. If you like stupid 3rd person cover shooters with wonky cover mechanics, you'll probably like this one too. Just don't buy into that "it's something special and decisions and blah blah" crap.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    I guess one was supposed to be shocked about the whole burning down civilians thing but it didn't work on me at all. I could see it happening a mile away,
    I'll be honest I'm curious as to how you saw it 'happening a mile away' because you don't see any civilians at the gate at all. There's literally not indications at all as to outcome. Sounds to me more like you read spoilers then played the game in truth.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 04-08-2012 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    I'll be honest I'm curious as to how you saw it 'happening a mile away' because you don't see any civilians at the gate at all. There's literally not indications at all as to outcome. Sounds to me more like you read spoilers then played the game in truth.
    Well I assure you that your assumption is false. I always avoid spoilers. And I'm pretty sure there were civilians in the game before that moment.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    If you move the camera north during the mortar sequence you can see and bomb trucks unloading people but it's not clear if they're civilians or not. Random observation - I liked how Walker's face is reflected in the laptop screen.
    As I said before, the presentation is what makes a familiar and predictable scene special.

Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    clearly imply I'm supposed to feel like an anti-hero, which the main character clearly is, but I'm not him, this is not a RPG.
    That's sad. Being able to identify with a main character and basically succumb to dream logic is what makes games special to me.

Banned
    Speaking of spoilers I am too interested in the game's themes but at the same time I really can't stand TPP shooters, so I'm looking for a half-decent(not counting on anything better than that) Let's Play.