(yet another) kickstarter, but this one has 9 games in it :D

Hello all,

I checked to see if this hadn't been posted before, and (unless I'm very blind) I didn't see it. I wanted to share this campaign with you, and maybe some will be interested. This is KS supporting 9 games from different genres and also platforms (so yeah, there are 2 or 3 iPhone games there too, but at least the majority of them are for the PC). I also have a game in this group, btw.

The games included are Metagolf, Inner dream, Ensign-1, Enola, Christmas Magic, TRI, Silversword, Y2163, Host Holic. They range from first person shooters and platformers to sidescrollers and visual novel-ish. The KS just started like 3 days ago but we still have a long way to go.

link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...r-indie-bundle

So, please take a look at the page, watch the video and hopefuly something there will catch your attention enough to support the campaign?

Bye :D
    "So dark le con of man"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    So... it is another bundle?
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

In a way yes, but I have to say we'd had a lot of problems with the "bundle" name because when people see that word they automatically think of the "humble bundle" and how you can get 6 games in the bundle for very little money, while this campaign only gives you the 9 games when you pledge 20 bucks, but here we're trying to raise funds to make the games so it's different.

Although I do wonder what would've happened if we'd made a sorta pay-what-you-want humble-bundle? Would that one work better?
    "So dark le con of man"

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Meh. Kickstarter games are interesting because I can fund exactly what I want. The scattershot bundle approach is a poor fit.

And their reward tiers are a confusing mess.

They'll probably meet their goal. But $5k per game is next to nothing.

Oh, for a second there, I thought Elona was in that bundle...
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Yeah, obviously this is just me, but here is what I see:

Great, another bundle. Why the feth did they use kickstarter for this?
    Oh, I am funding development. Yeah, there aren't gonna be political problems with 9 projects pulling from the same fund
    That's all they are asking for? Wow, they have learned nothing from the previous KS projects
    Hmm, how much does Sony charge to certify a game for the PS Vita? I wonder if they know, because I sure don't

So yeah, pass.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    Meh. Kickstarter games are interesting because I can fund exactly what I want. The scattershot bundle approach is a poor fit.

And their reward tiers are a confusing mess.
    Do you think it would've been better if each project had gone on its own, or maybe just have games that have something in common instead (like just horror games or whatever)?

BTW you're not the first one to point out the rewards are (very) confusing.
    "So dark le con of man"

Network Hub
    A brief glance tells me that at least 8/9 of the money going into this Kickstarter goes towards games I'm not interested in playing. Why not have separate fundraising? It would still be possible for the devs to cooperate, namedrop and link the other projects for about equal visibility.

I have paid Humble Bundle a lot more than I otherwise would have since they have the feature that lets me say exactly where the money goes. (I always give $1 to EFF because EFF, $1 to HB for their work and bandwidth, and the rest distributed to the developers whose games I'm actually interested in playing.)

Have to agree with Victory in that I think bundling them together like this isn't the best idea.

Having games I'm not interested in included actually discourages me from donating. I just get the idea of the games I don't like taking money away from the games I do like.

Having a $5 tier that let you pick one game to recieve would be a good step as it would at least show the developers what game people are most interested in. But yeah, I'd say seperate but mutually supporting (advertising each other, maybe contributing on each others work) Kickstarters would be the better idea.
    “People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran

I think the biggest issue may be the use of the word "bundle". To me, I see 9 games, each which may cost $10 or more (according to Desura, TRI will be $5, and Metagolf will be $8, but Ensign-1 will be $20 alone...right there, I'm saving $13 and that doesn't account for the other 6 games) that I can fund now for $20.

Others, however, are definitely seeing "Bundle? $20? This is madness!" due to the bundle crazes that, at maximum, seem to cost around $7 and offer them marginally the same amount of games. To the discredit of this mentality, however, only two bundles have done alpha funding so far, and only one has contained more than one unfinished game, and that went $5-ish for 3 games, which is a much smaller ratio than the other bundles and, to my recollection, contained absolutely no bonuses of any kind.

I'm interested. I like the fact that I can drop in now, get 9 unfinished games for just over $2 a piece and get bonus games to boot. Considering The Sun Is Deadly just added an extra $5 to the Gamedev Bundle in the "beat the average" type bonus to get it alone, it's already looking like an insanely good deal.

Honestly, the fact that people are funding games that have literally not a single essence they can interact with available for $15 or more for a single game when this is $20 for 9, almost all of which have alphas/betas available now is kind of nuts. And even though said people may not have heard of these games, and in return, may have no interest in these games at this point, none of these games (barring the visual novel, which, unless it lives up to Christine Love standards, may not really interest me, to be honest) look like boring or like they're an over-used style of game. Some look a bit generic at this point, but I haven't played them so I couldn't say for sure. I think a few of them look quite original.

I think it's a good deal no matter how it's presented, but others may not see it that way.
    Last edited by johnki; 04-08-2012 at 10:33 AM.

Hi, I'm one of the developers in ths Kickstarter campaign!
    Just want to address two things:

Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    A brief glance tells me that at least 8/9 of the money going into this Kickstarter goes towards games I'm not interested in playing. Why not have separate fundraising? It would still be possible for the devs to cooperate, namedrop and link the other projects for about equal visibility.
    You could see it that way: the Kickstarter campaign IS the linking to all our projects. For example, you can alpha-fund my game right now when you click on the picture in the description of the campaign; in my own store you even have the possibility to pay-more-if-you-want. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by johnki View Post
    I think the biggest issue may be the use of the word "bundle". To me, I see 9 games, each which may cost $10 or more (according to Desura, TRI will be $5, and Metagolf will be $8, but Ensign-1 will be $20 alone...right there, I'm saving $13 and that doesn't account for the other 6 games) that I can fund now for $20.
    Exactly. For us, the Kickstarter campaign mainly is for the visibility and a little bit of funding for the current development process - AND players can get the games for a huge discount in the future. As TillEulenspiegel said before, $5,000 is next to nothing, but for an indie every little bit helps, so we can actually concentrate on the game for a while, instead of working on freelance stuff.
    BTW, Tri will be $10 when it's finished, it's only 50% off as long as it is in alpha state.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhazor View Post
    Having a $5 tier that let you pick one game to recieve would be a good step as it would at least show the developers what game people are most interested in.
    I like that idea and actually some of us were pushing the "pledge this much and pick 1-3 games you want" but it was deemed too complicated. On the other hand, any help is a good help, and there's also the option to support specific games as well (well at least those that are being alpha funded, like Metagolf, Ensign-1, and my own game, Enola.

Quote Originally Posted by johnki View Post
    I think the biggest issue may be the use of the word "bundle".
    Yeah, maybe we should've looked for a different word, or adding the word "alpha" somewhere to make it clear this is a fundsraising to finish the games. I wonder if the name of the project can be changed?
    "So dark le con of man"

But again my main problem is that unless I was interested in all 9 games then a portion of my pledge is wasted. I really like the look of Ensign-1 for example. A space shooter where you can walk about your ship manning turrets, fighting intruders and boarding enemy ships/derelicts for looting and man murders. That is seriously a game I've waited years for and why Notch's new game has me so turned on. Unfortunately it is a game that seriously needs a huge injection of cash as it is clearly overstretching what it can do with it's current budget. It's well into the cheap/bland side of indie development and will need a lot of work to be able to actually do justice to its ideas. Now if Ensign-1 was on its own I'd probably pledge ~$50 in the hope they would have a "Hire art team" as a milestone. But if I donated ~$50 here then Ensign-1 would only get about $5.50.

The draw for many pledgers is that they get to fund exactly what they want and help shape development in specific details. Here you're muddying the water getting people to donate to games they may have no interest in funding.
    Last edited by Bhazor; 04-08-2012 at 06:10 PM.
    “People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran

Quote Originally Posted by Bhazor View Post
    The draw for many pledgers is that they get to fund exactly what they want and help shape development in specific details. Here you're muddying the water getting people to donate to games they may have no interest in funding.
    This aside, I really don't see why people are arguing with 9 games for $20. Actually, I should correct that. It's more like 9 unreleased games and 4 or 5 released games. For $20.

Do you argue this much about the price point with indie bundles? Specifically, did you argue this much about the price point with the Indie Royale alpha funding bundle?

It may seem odd to do it this way because it's through Kickstarter, but toss that aside for a minute. They're doing a bundle. They want a bulk of people to buy it at this price. There is no reason to put any more thought into it than that.

EDIT: Oh, Ensign-1 already had a Kickstarter of its own.
    Last edited by johnki; 04-08-2012 at 09:59 PM.