Page 5 of 68 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by What. View Post
    I've played Dota 2 for about 20 mins before getting brutally bored a while back.

I've looked at some online guides and tutorials and got pretty turned off by information overload. How many heroes? And abilities and items...

Any noob friendly starting points you guys can recommend? Or are mobas just not my thing...
    I've had a decent experience by playing with a RL friend. An online acquaintance would work, too. You just need someone who can teach you via voice chat and play along. It's always more fun with friends anyway.

As a disclaimer, I still suck... but it's only been a week and a half and I'm improving.

dota2alttab.com is a decent guide to have in-game for hero reference, level up / equipment recommendations.

Obscure Node
    Is there a password on the mumble server that I have missed? When I attempt connecting I get the "Wrong password for unspecified user" error.

That usually happens when someone else (or you yourself) have already registered the nickname and don't have the corresponding certificate (i.e. formatted, reinstalled, etc). Try a different name, perhaps one without any special characters, and it should work.

For me the best way to get into the game was to watch some of the big tournaments - The International 2 Na'Vi games, NoTideHunter vs Evil Genius at Dreamhack, etc. Consign yourself to never playing at that level. Then when you play yourself, start with something simple like bots and find some people you can talk to and it becomes fun. Bots are pretty stupid so eventually you'll want to actually do live games but by the time you can beat hard bots without using Drow you'll be able to hold your own in the lower tiers of public games.
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

@public games

I was going to catch a quick co-op bot match with a friend on my lunch break. When we got into the waiting part of the pre-game, noticed it was listing 10 players. I realized that I had accidentally clicked a normal match, and it was strangely disconcerting. The last guy never connected, though, so the game didn't happen.

The two of us were going to roll with it, but it's probably a good thing that we weren't tested. Though we're improving and winning most games, we've only been playing against Easy bots so far.

In my experience bots are ok for a bit but they don't behave like actual players and get you into bad habits. I'm not that good by any stretch but I tend to enjoy actual matchmaking over bots. Single Draft is my queue of choice and you run the risk of playing someone you have not tried before, but the same goes for the enemy team so it kinda balances out.

Discovered how great Lich, Tiny and Natures Prophet are this way amongst others. Not to mention having some really good games in the process.

We now have a Dota 2 specific mumble again. New details are on the steam group.

Given that you can create custom (included passworded) channels on the big server, which is nowhere near capacity, might I ask as to why you made that decision?

I know I've twice had to rename offensively titled temp dota2 subchannels when randomly connecting to the server in the past fortnight. Is there an issue I should be aware of?

Recently I've been practicing 1v4 (with bots filling the rest) using Bounty Hunter and Clinkz. Makes you think about ganking, applying early pressure and proactive warding / eyes / dust purchases. If someone on the non-stealth side randoms a squishy like KotL you'd best make sure you're very good friends...
    Mumble :: Thread :: Click to Join

I like to run my own server, as it gives a little more control over things (such as channel linking). I also have a group of friends beyond RPS and Dota, and we use My mumble specificly for that to create a sort of chat room for our group. We used the larger RPS server once or twice while my personal server was down. As for the offensive channel names I've no idea. I highly doubt it's one of the regulars on my server.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by shaydeeadi View Post
    In my experience bots are ok for a bit but they don't behave like actual players and get you into bad habits. I'm not that good by any stretch but I tend to enjoy actual matchmaking over bots. Single Draft is my queue of choice and you run the risk of playing someone you have not tried before, but the same goes for the enemy team so it kinda balances out.

Discovered how great Lich, Tiny and Natures Prophet are this way amongst others. Not to mention having some really good games in the process.
    I can't think of any outright bad habits you might develop, but rather the habits you won't even be aware of: stacking creeps, pulling lanes, warding, ganking and counter-ganking (bots seem pretty content to hole up and defend after the first-tier towers fall), juking, animation cancelling. I realize that most of what I just said is gibberish to new players, but most experienced players consider it baseline knowledge for a successful game.
    Last edited by sabrage; 04-12-2012 at 04:01 PM.

So, I've been playing this for about 3.5 weeks now, and I feel like I'm really getting a handle on how things work.

The dota 2 wiki and dota2alttab.com have been immensely helpful. I'm consistently defeating medium bots in co-op matches, comfortable enough with the mechanics to take random heroes each match, and have been fairly good at remembering which one does what as an opponent. Dota2alttab recommends certain items and builds, and I have begun to deviate from some of those on the occasions when I feel I'd prefer something else. I think one of the best things about going random so often is that I'm getting a better idea of what roles I'm average or excel at. Remembering to use all of my items that have useful active abilities is still taking its time to stick, but I'm getting there.

All in all, it's a good feeling. It's surely a feeling to be crushed the first time my friends & I attempt regular co-op, but a good feeling none the less.
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 07-12-2012 at 03:00 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    So if anyone is interested in giving that a try, I have seven invites sitting in my steam inventory. If you want one send me a PM with you steam name (to friend you for gifting). I will try to get back to you asap

Obscure Node
    Hi

This might be the wrong thread but I have 6 dota2 keys to give away. I dont want anything for them, but someone should enjoy them!

Just pm me or reply here if you want em.

Ta

Kuze

@Kuze

What would happen if a current player received a beta key? Would it go into their inventory to be gifted again? Or would it not be possible? I ask because I have a friend or three who'd be interested.

You can't gift them to people that already have them in their inventory, but can trade them afaik.

I have 5 spare if anybody wants one.
    Last edited by shaydeeadi; 11-12-2012 at 07:08 PM.

I've never actually traded on Steam before. I'll have to look into it.

PM or post your Steam name and I'll trade you however many you need for nowt (up to a limit of 5 :P) You might have some in your inventory though as I got given 4 today.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Some of the invitations they're handing out are unable to be traded (seemingly arbitrarily). There will be red text indicating as much on the key's description.

Wow. Keeper of the Light is a much more fun support hero to play than others I've played like Warlock.

I never feel like I get anything done with Warlock, and his summoned fire golem dies pretty quickly. (which, for an ult, is pretty disappointing) Sure, his heal/dot spell can be nice, but Keeper's mana-giving spell seems better. You can keep your lane ally full of mana, and therefore more dangerous. His charged-shot Illuminate skill is probably the best bang-for-buck lane-clearing skill I've seen. Makes it easy to solo push or support your ally, though you may end up dominating the farm. Because your mana skill (Chakra Magic) can be self-cast, you can keep your own damage flowing. That results in lots of gold and lane xp, which keeps him from being out-leveled by non-support heroes.

The main downside I see is that his ultimate is pure support, and he needs items like Dagon to really kill enemy heroes. Then again, I nearly killed the entire enemy team when they were dumb enough to idle in a group. Just charged Illuminate with 4 seconds to spare, and it can turn the tide of a teamfight or gank.
    Last edited by deadly.by.design; 19-12-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Obscure Node
    Pro tip: If you BoT (boots of travel) on KotL (keeper of the light) it's basically the same as sharing them with your entire team because recall can teleport your allies to you after you teleport.

IMO I think you're not doing his ult the justice it deserves, it gives him the ability to do safe counterpush even if the enemy is really far ahead, because you don't have to endanger yourself to channel Illuminate for the full duration. Remember that his role on the team isn't being one of the main damage dealers, instead he is more of a utility teamfight hero, however with a large emphasis on the utility part.

His two ult powers are basically a knockback+hit penalty and the tp ally thing, right? You're right that I wasn't using his ult that often. The boots of travel really do seem like a nice choice, too. I think our team had the battle under control most of the time, so I didn't feel like I was super necessary in my second game.